Hex bolt protruding in floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hex bolt protruding in floor

A couple of days after we brought our 221RB home, we noticed a hex bolt sticking up and making a slight bulge in the vinyl flooring. I immediately notified my sales guy and he indicated this is a common problem that they would take care of. I spoke with the warranty person this morning and she told me it isn't as cut and dry as he indicated since I requested it be taken care of when they replaced the board to the frig. Approval by Grand Design will be required and they will have to send flooring for the repair since that isn't a dealer stocked item.

Has anyone heard of this or dealt with this problem? I appreciate any input.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

I have not heard too much about a bolt protruding up from underneath the vinyl flooring so I would not consider that as "a common problem". If you could post a pic that sure would be great.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The "common problem" was told to me by my salesman. The warranty person seemed to be familiar with it also. I'll see if I can get a picture of it today. It has actually "settled" (used loosely) lower when I checked it yesterday. We had a piece of blue painters tape over it to help avoid walking on it.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I have not heard too much about a bolt protruding up from underneath the vinyl flooring so I would not consider that as "a common problem". If you could post a pic that sure would be great.

Brian
        Brian, the bolt is completely flat now. I am perplexed by this. I suppose the common problem response was my sales guy's way of dealing with me. I hope it stays down since it's something I would prefer not to deal with.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

Brian, the bolt is completely flat now. I am perplexed by this. I suppose the common problem response was my sales guy's way of dealing with me. I hope it stays down since it's something I would prefer not to deal with.
          I would sure like to know what the bolt is supposed to be attached to and if it will be working up and down. I could only guess that this may be a screw instead of a bolt. Either way it is good to document this with the dealer and GD if you did. This will ensure that any future problems may be covered fi this results in some kind of damage to the flooring. It must be attaching the floor to the frame or cross member.
          Keep an eye on it and keep us posted , it will be interesting if it shows back up after traveling.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have it documented with the dealer but haven't done anything with GD directly. I will wait and see if it comes back up on our coming soon trip. It has a hex head so I would say bolt. This coming from a 10 year QA manager (retired) with a screw manufacturer.

I will update after travels.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

Last year I read an owner of a Transcend 26RLS had a bolt pushing up. Dealer tech tightened the bolt from underneath.
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Interesting. I assume they were able to the belly cover back with no problems?
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Interesting. I assume they were able to the belly cover back with no problems?
                  They didn't say, just that it took less than an hour for the tech to do it.
                  This was a bolt pushing up the flooring about 2 feet from the frig.
                  Gene and Kim
                  2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                  2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

They didn't say, just that it took less than an hour for the tech to do it.
                    This was a bolt pushing up the flooring about 2 feet from the frig.
                    That is about the same distance from the frig that this one is.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

UPDATE: The bolt had disappeared but has again started protruding from the below the flooring. Not as bad as it was originally. My wife actually pushed it back down while on our trip last week. My dealer is aware of this but not the current situation. I am attaching a photo and the floor-plan with location noted. With the location, might it be possible to determine what it is connected to or supposed to fastening?
                      Attached Files
                      Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

UPDATE: The bolt had disappeared but has again started protruding from the below the flooring. Not as bad as it was originally. My wife actually pushed it back down while on our trip last week. My dealer is aware of this but not the current situation. I am attaching a photo and the floor-plan with location noted. With the location, might it be possible to determine what it is connected to or supposed to fastening?

We had a similar situation in our Class C. I did my best to find a reference on the outside that aligned with the head on the inside. Then I crawled under the rig and found the other end of the hold-down bolt. I tightened the best I could and it got a lot better. My guess for your situation, the other end of that bolt goes though the frame underneath your rig. It is attaching the subfloor to the trailer frame. In our case, the bolt was holding the floor to the chassis frame on top and the generator from on the bottom. Because your wife camn push it down, I suspect the the nut on the other end has become loose. Maybe even fallen off. It should be relatively obvious if you have clear access.

You'll have two challenges to sort out. The first is that your rig probably has an insulted under-belly and blocks your access. I don't know the best way to gain access. The second will be to put pressure on the bolthead while tightening from underneath. Maybe your assistant stands on it as you tighten. But don't over tighten as the bolt head will probably spin a hole in the wood sheath floor. I recommend replacing the nut with a nylon insert stop nut or use a removable loctite on existing bolt and nut.
                        Al & Ann
                        F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                        Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Originally posted by humunuku View Post

We had a similar situation in our Class C. I did my best to find a reference on the outside that aligned with the head on the inside. Then I crawled under the rig and found the other end of the hold-down bolt. I tightened the best I could and it got a lot better. My guess for your situation, the other end of that bolt goes though the frame underneath your rig. It is attaching the subfloor to the trailer frame. In our case, the bolt was holding the floor to the chassis frame on top and the generator from on the bottom. Because your wife camn push it down, I suspect the the nut on the other end has become loose. Maybe even fallen off. It should be relatively obvious if you have clear access.

You'll have two challenges to sort out. The first is that your rig probably has an insulted under-belly and blocks your access. I don't know the best way to gain access. The second will be to put pressure on the bolthead while tightening from underneath. Maybe your assistant stands on it as you tighten. But don't over tighten as the bolt head will probably spin a hole in the wood sheath floor. I recommend replacing the nut with a nylon insert stop nut or use a removable loctite on existing bolt and nut.
                          Al, thank you for the input. My rig is 6 months old so I'm thinking the dealer needs to fix it. I'm not sure if they have dealt with this before as they talked about cutting through the floor and having to replace the floor and I would rather not do that. They told me GD would have to approve the work. They have been good about any warranty items thus far.
                          Bill & Cindy
                          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                          SE Texas

Comment

Looking at the plans that I have access to there is a cross beam between the frame rails right in that location. The dealer , or you , would have to drop the coroplast to get access to the attachment point on the underside of the floor. If you would be lucky there would be a nut to tighten that would draw the bolt down , if the bolt spins you would have to cut the flooring to access the bolt head. I am not sure if they use bolts and nuts for this or just a large self tapping screw into the frame work , probably the latter which would mean they would have to cut a small area around the bolt head to tighten or move if it is stripped.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We kinda had the same issue. I had several bumps in the floor in front of our street side slide. After two trips to the dealership with no attempt to repair it, Grand Design approved a mobile repair. Our bumps were a combination of bits of trash that hadn't been swept clean before the flooring was laid and screws from the bottom that had pushed up pieces of flooring. It didn't take too long for him to do it and he did a great job with it.
                              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                              Nash County, NC
                              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                              X