Window Tinting (Pro Install)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Tinting (Pro Install)

After having window tinting installed on the westward-facing windows on my home (made a HUGE difference in my office!), the DW decided she wanted tinting in the camper's windows, too.

She decided on Llumar IRX 15 tinting for the camper's windows. Not too dark, but not too light--"just right".

The reason for the tinting is due to the heat transfer through the windows--as I'm sure many of you can relate to, the heat/solar energy coming in through the windows is quite high. As a reference, before the tinting with the shades up and the sun blazing through the glass I measured temps as high as 102(!) on the surface of the couch. The air conditioners had both been running since dawn and the thermostat in the living room showed 79 degrees when I took the picture below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	102.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	29184

I'll follow up this post in a week or two and let you know the difference the tinting has made on the interior temps.

I did all the prep in the camper (moved the couch, recliner, table ,screens in the windows, etc) but left the tint install to a pro. Every window was tinted except for the door.

The bill was $640. It took the couple almost three hours to do all the windows. Apparently there was considerable silicone deposits and other material from the construction process on the window edges. All of that had to come off for the tinting to sit correctly. The installers earned their money--glad (in this case) to pay someone else to do the work.

A couple of comparison pics (before on the left, after on the right).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Before After 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.4 KB ID:	29185
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Before After 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	29186
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Before After 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	29187
    Any questions--fire away.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Who stole your furniture?
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

howson Howard,

Looks very nice. My Imagine already has dark tinted windows that look very much like your after shots. Do some models not have tinting?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        howson Howard,

Looks very nice. My Imagine already has dark tinted windows that look very much like your after shots. Do some models not have tinting?

Jim
        If the OEM windows had tinting...it is no where close to the quality/performance I'll get from the Llumar that's been added. A comparison could be sugar water with a little dark food coloring versus real Maple syrup. They both kind of look about the same in a glass container, but in reality they are quite different.

I can't provide anything other than anecdotal evidence at this point because (naturally!) it's been overcast and rain since the installation. I *know* though, based on my office (where I spend a lot of time) that the Llumar will make a huge difference.

ThePowells ... (I'm actually putting everything back this morning!)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Howard,

I can't imagine my windows being any darker. From outside, you can barely see inside our Imagine with the lights on and with the TV on you can only see what's on the screen. We still close the binds at night. Window tinting works and the pro stuff is very nice. I had this installed in my first new vehicle, a 1978 Blazer and it was great. Man am I getting old.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X