Mount Computer Monitor in Bedroom of Momentum 399TH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Computer Monitor in Bedroom of Momentum 399TH

Hello! I'm going to be living full time in my Momentum 399TH and I was hoping to mount my computer monitor on the wall of the main bedroom.

Two questions: There is already a TV mounted on the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom. Should I assume it's mounted into studs and therefore just try to aim for directly below the TV? (but above the shower pipe access panel.)
    Or, can anyone tell me if I'd be able to mount into the outer wall to the right of the window? I know it's not a ton of room, but my monitor is small and I already know my little desk will fit in that spot.

More info: I need to work in the bedroom so I can close the door. The garage will be my mom's bedroom so that's not an option (yes, my mother and I will be living together and traveling in the rig full time.)
    I'd like to use an arm mount that allows me to raise and lower the monitor as necessary, so I think I really need studs for stability.
    Thanks for any help!
    2021 Momentum 399TH
    2020 Ram 3500 DRW
    Hittin' the Road 11/1/2020

jillhope7

The TV mounted on the interior wall will have a wood backer that is placed inside the wall , there will be a sticker showing this location. A TV mount on the exterior wall will have a thin metal sheet inside the wall called an EGS backer if there is a "tv mount here" sticker on the outside wall then this is what will be behind that. If there are no stickers where you wish to mount your monitor then there will be no backer in that location. You could use a stud finder to find the aluminum frame work and possibly locate an aluminum "stud" to mount your monitor to. The outside walls will have the aluminum studs , interior walls will be wood. You will find that these are not on any type of "centers" , like houses usually have 16" centers.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by jillhope7 View Post
      Hello! I'm going to be living full time in my Momentum 399TH and I was hoping to mount my computer monitor on the wall of the main bedroom.

Two questions: There is already a TV mounted on the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom. Should I assume it's mounted into studs and therefore just try to aim for directly below the TV? (but above the shower pipe access panel.)
      Or, can anyone tell me if I'd be able to mount into the outer wall to the right of the window? I know it's not a ton of room, but my monitor is small and I already know my little desk will fit in that spot.

More info: I need to work in the bedroom so I can close the door. The garage will be my mom's bedroom so that's not an option (yes, my mother and I will be living together and traveling in the rig full time.)
      I'd like to use an arm mount that allows me to raise and lower the monitor as necessary, so I think I really need studs for stability.
      Thanks for any help!
      First, welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, please read the Welcome Letter as it has a lot of information on getting the most out of this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To your question--from the diagrams and what I can make out from videos online, there's a heat register between the floor and chair rail of the interior wall in that corner. The register is probably much lower than you'd put the monitor of course...just something to be aware of when placing items in that location. (Might get toasty sitting there with the heat blowing under the desk!) If the register isn't adjustable, it's easy to swap it out for one that can swivel and adjust to lower the amount of air output.

What I don't see is a place to plug in the computer and monitor. There has to be a power outlet behind the TV mounted on the wall, but that means running cords up the wall. Not ideal, but likely the only solution.

A workaround to attaching the computer monitor to a wall is to buy a monitor clamp that attaches to the desk.

To secure the desk in place, you might consider screwing "D" rings into the floor and also the bottom of the desk. That will give you a way to strap down the desk prior to a travel day. (The floor is plywood sheathing.)

Hopefully your dealer can help with these (relatively) small issues at delivery so you're ready to go.

Please post back when you get it all set up! It will be interesting to read what you come up with to solve the puzzle.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Since the studs in the interior and exterior walls are almost never where you want them, several of us have used surface mounted blocking for coat hooks, television mounts, towel racks, etc. The blocking can be painted, stained, wrapped in felt or contact paper to beautify it.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
          Since the studs in the interior and exterior walls are almost never where you want them, several of us have used surface mounted blocking for coat hooks, television mounts, towel racks, etc. The blocking can be painted, stained, wrapped in felt or contact paper to beautify it.
          Hi John, Thanks for this suggestion, Can you tell me more about the surface mounting blocks? Is that a specific product I can purchase?

2021 Momentum 399TH
          2020 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

First, welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, please read the Welcome Letter as it has a lot of information on getting the most out of this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

To your question--from the diagrams and what I can make out from videos online, there's a heat register between the floor and chair rail of the interior wall in that corner. The register is probably much lower than you'd put the monitor of course...just something to be aware of when placing items in that location. (Might get toasty sitting there with the heat blowing under the desk!) If the register isn't adjustable, it's easy to swap it out for one that can swivel and adjust to lower the amount of air output.

What I don't see is a place to plug in the computer and monitor. There has to be a power outlet behind the TV mounted on the wall, but that means running cords up the wall. Not ideal, but likely the only solution.

A workaround to attaching the computer monitor to a wall is to buy a monitor clamp that attaches to the desk.

To secure the desk in place, you might consider screwing "D" rings into the floor and also the bottom of the desk. That will give you a way to strap down the desk prior to a travel day. (The floor is plywood sheathing.)

Hopefully your dealer can help with these (relatively) small issues at delivery so you're ready to go.

Please post back when you get it all set up! It will be interesting to read what you come up with to solve the puzzle.

Howard

Thanks Howard! The desk I am looking at is more of a super lightweight laptop table, so I don't think it could withstand a clamp for the monitor (see below). I hadn't considered the lack of power, but I don't mind the idea of having wires running up the wall if necessary. I can't wait to actually get in and test things out to see what's possible. I'm sure there are a bunch of factors I'm not considering. I'm hopeful about the option of the surface mounting blocks mentioned above. But worst case scenario, if I have to work without a monitor I could live.

Click image for larger version

Name:	desk.png
Views:	169
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	30187

2021 Momentum 399TH
            2020 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by jillhope7 View Post

Hi John, Thanks for this suggestion, Can you tell me more about the surface mounting blocks? Is that a specific product I can purchase?
              I personally use 1x4 pieces of wood stained to SHMBO requirement. Some like plywood, some have found metal or plastic tracks. Some use paint, some wrap in felt, some use contact paper. All depends on the what is to be hung on the wall. for a wall mount screen support you may be looking at a piece of plywood wrapped in some material to hide the edges.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
              X