How island is screwed to floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How island is screwed to floor

We have a 2020 303RLS and the island isn’t tight to the floor and squeaks when you walk around it. Does anyone know how to get access to where the island is screwed to the floor? I looked and can’t find an easy way without tearing up he floor out.

Blazer98
    Welcome to our owners technical forum!

The interior floor of the island is the “last piece in” . . . so, has to be the “first piece out”. You may have to first remove a box around the plumbing in the forward right corner. The interior floor panel is likely held in place with brad nails, so it will have to be pried loose. Once the floor is removed, you can access the screws that hold the lower 2x2 frame of the island to the floor.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you Rob! That is what I assumed, but didn’t want to tear it apart until someone who knew told me how. 😁

Comment

Blazer98

While you have the floor out of the island you may want to add some structure under it. I found that ours was very poorly supported. I added a few boards under the bottom panel to help support pots and pans.

Brian
        Last edited by Country Campers; 09-21-2020, 07:46 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Blazer98

While you have the floor out of the island you may want to add some structure under it. I found that ours was very poorly supported. I added a few boards un the bottom pane to help support pots and pans.

Brian
          I replaced the 1/8” floor with 1/2” plywood (with a Formica surface) to accomplish the same sort of reinforcing to carry heavier stored items.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

For someone new to RV maintenance, but familiar with general home repairs, is it fairly obvious how to add support like Rob and Brian suggest? I have seen a video of someone who had the island fail and cause some damage and I want to be proactive on fixing possible issues. This topic interests me quite a bit. Seems like an easy upgrade which avoids some potential damage as you bounce down the road.

erick..

Comment

Originally posted by Antacus View Post
              For someone new to RV maintenance, but familiar with general home repairs, is it fairly obvious how to add support like Rob and Brian suggest? I have seen a video of someone who had the island fail and cause some damage and I want to be proactive on fixing possible issues. This topic interests me quite a bit. Seems like an easy upgrade which avoids some potential damage as you bounce down the road.

erick..
              Cate&Rob / Country Campers -- see post 6.

Erick--welcome to the forum. Please check out the New Members letter when you get a chance:https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Antacus
                Hi Erick

If you can describe what you mean by “someone had the island fail”, we might be able to give you more specific information.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Is it too much to ask for a unit that doesn’t immediately require owner effort and additional expense to shore something up? Or is it just me?
                  Jeff and Molly
                  2017 Reflection 297RSTS
                  1997 Ford F-250 7.3 (manual :( )

Comment

Originally posted by Thr33s View Post
                    Is it too much to ask for a unit that doesn’t immediately require owner effort and additional expense to shore something up? Or is it just me?
                    Hi Jeff & Molly,

Your perspective certainly seems reasonable . . . but the entire towable RV industry builds like this. Anybody who wants to take part in this RV lifestyle has to figure out how they are going to get comfortable with this. There will constantly be things to repair. There is not a better quality (towable) RV out there, for any amount of money. The only alternative to coping with the constant repair is to not own one.

Rob
                    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-08-2021, 04:44 PM.
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer98 View Post
                      We have a 2020 303RLS and the island isn’t tight to the floor and squeaks when you walk around it. Does anyone know how to get access to where the island is screwed to the floor? I looked and can’t find an easy way without tearing up he floor out.
                      Hi,

Your island looks similar to ours. If so, the interior floors are held by four screws if they are 3/4 inch thick or may be lifted up if 1/4 inch thick. In either case, you could install 2x2 inch boards next to the baseboard and screw them down to the floor and the baseboards. I also would install a 3/4 inch plywood board over any 1/4 inch floor in an island.

The newer islands have a metal angle iron brace on the end between the support board and the baseboard to reduce the risk of an island end falling, as happened to a 2018 model. You can view the brace if you open up the island floor.

There will be work the first year for your mods, but hopefully a fifth wheel should be low maintenance (especially compared with a class A -- we had three of these) after the first year.

Best,

Charles
                      2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

@cate&rob Copy that!
                        Jeff and Molly
                        2017 Reflection 297RSTS
                        1997 Ford F-250 7.3 (manual :( )

Comment

Working...
                        X