Differences in exterior 'bay' door latches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in exterior 'bay' door latches

I'm looking at a 2019 Reflection 28BH trailer, and nearly every one of them that I have seen have the "slam latch" doors that are much like the main door to the RV, and are keyed-alike so there's just one key for everything. This one particular trailer I'm looking at, however, had the old style basic 'twist lock' latches and the barrel-lock cylinders, which are far less secure. Why is this one particular trailer different? Even most 2018 models already had the slam-lock door latches, and it appears that switching over to the other type of catch is not really something that is easy to do.

Does anyone have any information on this small (but significant) difference? Is this trailer missing some other larger feature package or something? I have these twist-lock latches on my existing RV and really dislike them quite a lot, and was looking forward to having the far superior slam-lock latches on our next rig.

Thanks.

Slam latches that are keyed alike are also keyed alike to a whole bunch of other trailers. The only way to solve that problem is change out the latches/locks with an aftermarket option. This is true with both slam latches, main door, and barrel latches.

Don't fool yourself, change them out or somebody else in the campground has a key that'll get into your rig.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by RickyCRX View Post
      I'm looking at a 2019 Reflection 28BH trailer, and nearly every one of them that I have seen have the "slam latch" doors that are much like the main door to the RV, and are keyed-alike so there's just one key for everything. This one particular trailer I'm looking at, however, had the old style basic 'twist lock' latches and the barrel-lock cylinders, which are far less secure. Why is this one particular trailer different? Even most 2018 models already had the slam-lock door latches, and it appears that switching over to the other type of catch is not really something that is easy to do.

Does anyone have any information on this small (but significant) difference? Is this trailer missing some other larger feature package or something? I have these twist-lock latches on my existing RV and really dislike them quite a lot, and was looking forward to having the far superior slam-lock latches on our next rig.

Thanks.
      Welcome to the forum, RickyCRX. When you get a chance, check out the welcome letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

For your very specific question, what you can do is get the VIN and call GD Customer Service. They may (or may not) know the answer.

Pure speculation (but informed by experience)--production may have been out of the "slam latch" doors for a short time and substituted twist-locks they had in stock.

While not 100% applicable, I modified the under-bed storage door on my 315RLTS to accept a slam latch. Might be of interest (or not)! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...e-baggage-door

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
      X