Replace carpet with vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace carpet with vinyl

I'm wanting to replace the shag carpet in the large living area slide with the same vinyl used on the main floor. For anyone who has done this, how did you treat the edge of vinyl that overlaps the main floor?
    2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Originally posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    I'm wanting to replace the shag carpet in the large living area slide with the same vinyl used on the main floor. For anyone who has done this, how did you treat the edge of vinyl that overlaps the main floor?
    I haven't done this, but wouldn't it require a piece of "L" trim? One side to hide the edge of the plywood and other edge to hide the carpet?

Take lots of pictures and post if (when!) this is tackled, please.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I haven't done this, but wouldn't it require a piece of "L" trim? One side to hide the edge of the plywood and other edge to hide the carpet?

Take lots of pictures and post if (when!) this is tackled, please.

Howard
      ??Not sure what you mean. The carpet will be removed. I will have to let the vinyl overlap the main floor just enough to hide the joint between the slide floor and the main floor when the slide is open. The carpet is bound on that edge but I would think I would need some sort of flexible trim to attach to the edge of the vinyl.

I had this done in a motorhome...carpet replaced with vinyl. They added a piece of 1/2" plywood to the slide floor and glued the vinyl to that. That allowed them to add a piece of trim at the edge where it overlapped the main floor. However, that became a bit of a nuisance and trip hazard.
      2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

You treat it pretty much the same way you would in a house. I have replaced two sections of carpet, one was on a slide, that took special care because the transition zone moves and there wasn't much clearance between the slide and the kitchen island. Here I used rubber mob board (kickboard). It's flexible, it can be glued, and while it isn't the prettiest, it's highly functional.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KitchenSML.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	31201

The living room was both easier and harder. We had origninally planned on putting down linoleum. But I can't cut a straight line to save my soul. We pulled the carpet only to find that the subflooring was a patchwork with big holes in it. So got some light weight 1/4 inch subfloor and put that down. I got some estimates from flooring guys to lay the linoleum for me, we are talking 14' x 14' (approximately), I was getting quotes in the thousands, and that was the few that would even consider working on an RV. So we ditched the linoleum and bought some vinyl planking. Easy to work with, a little bit flexible for the travel movement, and I could do it myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LRFloorsml.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	31200

I used normal house type L bracket transition going from the floor down the stairs. The couch on the left hides the imperfections on the left side and the slide carpet hides the imperfections on the right. It's flush up against the fireplace and has a little gap under the love seat. We have been around the US (and part of Canada) with it without it buckling or shifting. We are pretty happy with it.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
        X