Cabinetry finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinetry finishing

How can we touch up cabinetry. XLS 18rb? We tried stain but it doesn’t work.

Touching up will depend on the location of the cabinet "issues".
    We have a 3740 BH and most of the cabinets seem to have what's referred to as "foil faced" cabinets and trim. Great cost effective solution, but horrible to take care of dings, dents, and scratches because as you found out normal stain doesn't work very well.
    Our cabinets and trim are mostly a darker brown so one solution is to slightly rough up the damaged area and then experiment with black & brown magic markers and have a paper towel or cloth handy to touch, blot, and wipe the area. If you haven't had much woodworking experience it can be a scary undertaking - but we all learn from our mistakes!
    Or you could pick up a door or some other scrap hardware piece that's similar and experiment which is the better way to go.
    Hope this helps!
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Yep and I have had dental work go easier than getting either the vinyl wrapping that they use or a matching stain and so far it has been more painful than a root canal. i don't know why they think that offering the stain as an stand alone part number would not benefit both the mothership and the contractor as providing the stain would be a bad thing. I would rather know that the stain in the can would probably be a better match than pulling a piece of trim and taking it to Sherman Williams for matching.
      Last edited by ThePowells; 10-07-2020, 02:12 AM.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Dottie View Post
        How can we touch up cabinetry. XLS 18rb? We tried stain but it doesn’t work.
        At a GD rally a couple of years ago, my wife asked the service people the same thing. Their response was Ultra Mark pens by Mohawk. I don’t know what the cabinetry is like in an XLS 18rb but the colors they gave us for our 2018 303 were Universal Cherry and Black #2. They tend to cover up scratches and dings ok. The pens are available on Amazon in multiple colors along with instructions on how to use them.
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
        Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
        2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by wygieman View Post

At a GD rally a couple of years ago, my wife asked the service people the same thing. Their response was Ultra Mark pens by Mohawk. I don’t know what the cabinetry is like in an XLS 18rb but the colors they gave us for our 2018 303 were Universal Cherry and Black #2. They tend to cover up scratches and dings ok. The pens are available on Amazon in multiple colors along with instructions on how to use them.
          Excellent info! I created a new thread in the Interior/Storage Reference Material with your post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...recommendation
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

One thing we did was take a piece to Home Depot and did a color match. Actually works quite well to cover up slight scratches.

Comment

Working...
            X