Shower Skylight insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Skylight insulation

Looking for suggestions if anybody has found or made something that works.

Not sure what you mean by 'insulation". I remember seeing some one that wanted to filter the sun light. They used the rubber shelf liner that is mesh and light adhesive back. They removed the skylight trim ring and cut a piece of the liner material sizes to the skylight. They applied the liner adhesive side up and the reinstalled the trim ring. The liner sticks to the skylight.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by scarfile View Post
      Looking for suggestions if anybody has found or made something that works.
      I can tell you what NOT to do!

Several years ago tinting the skylights was attempted (from the inside) to reduce heat intrusion. While it worked to reduce the heat, it also cracked the skylight from the intense heat buildup between the tint and skylight.

You might consider the product linked below. I haven't tried it myself nor have I read a review from a forum member, but it looks interesting. Hopefully others will chime in with experience.

Note I think you'll want the 14"x22" size!

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	14 x 22.JPG
Views:	920
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	32799

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I saw that listed on Amazon but wondering if it will stay up without "velco" lol I use the 14x14 on the fan openings with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by scarfile View Post
          I saw that listed on Amazon but wondering if it will stay up without "velco" lol I use the 14x14 on the fan openings with no problems.
          If you decide to get one please write up a review!
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I can tell you what NOT to do!

Several years ago tinting the skylights was attempted (from the inside) to reduce heat intrusion. While it worked to reduce the heat, it also cracked the skylight from the intense heat buildup between the tint and skylight.

You might consider the product linked below. I haven't tried it myself nor have I read a review from a forum member, but it looks interesting. Hopefully others will chime in with experience.

Note I think you'll want the 14"x22" size!

Howard

Name:	14 x 22.JPG
Views:	920
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	32799
            Howard, I would be afraid even more of the reflectix reflecting the heat back up and superheating that air space between the the two pieces. I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post

Howard, I would be afraid even more of the reflectix reflecting the heat back up and superheating that air space between the the two pieces. I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.
              Valid point, Jerry. That's why I cautioned the OP that I have no personal experience with the product. However, this is specifically made for the intended application. The tint actually had a warning (that I'd overlooked) to not apply in such an application. The whole story was many years ago in another place so I don't remember the exact specifics. All I do know is those of us that tried it took out the tint!

Comment

We use a car shade dark side up( the dark side absorbs the heat) and 2 pcs of white Velcro to hold it up.. it works
                2019 2500 RAM Laramie diesel 4x4 2021 303RLS vin 573FR3321M9907669

Comment

Readers of this thread,
                  I bought the Energy Wise Insulator and have done some testing. Please see the thread Energy Wise RV Skylight Insulator https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...ight-insulator

Howard

Comment

It appears that my slylight is double layered, as a result I have not felt the need to insulate it. Plus, it's in the shower, so anything you put up there will get moldy in short order. The other thing that occurs is snow covers it, while cold, it is a form of insulation.
                    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Just ordered it. (early Christmas present you see I'll let you all know how well it fits on the XLS 21bhe

Comment

FWIW....... I devised a flexible solution that knocks down the interior temps of our 5th wheel by 5-15° when traveling in 90°+ temps. I take a thin, lightly padded reflective piece like you would use for a window. I hold that up against the shower skylight. Then I hold a very thick foam insulated cushion up again the reflective piece. It doesn't cover the entire skylight opening so I use very thick foam (remnants from a 4" mattress topper) to seal the sides. Then I take 2 tension rods and use them to hold the whole thing up. So the tension rods wouldn't vibrate and fall during travel, I bought a strip from Lowe's of the item shown below. It is about 1.25" each direction. I cut 4 pieces each about 3-4" long. I used sticky back velcro to place two pieces at either end of the skylight along the edge of the skylight. The tension rods sit on these little "shelves" and hold up the insulation.

Works like a charm and I can take everything down in the winter. The only thing that remains are the 4 little "shelves".

Name:	i-HppdhQD-L.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	40284

We will be getting the 5th wheel out of storage mid-Feb 2021 and I can take more photos then if you would like.

Comment

I've decided to climb the ladder and insulate from the outside with a reflective tarp and Velcro

Comment

Working...
                          X