Energy Wise RV Skylight Insulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy Wise RV Skylight Insulator

Based on a recent interaction with a forum member I had to try one of these myself. Yes, I bought this with my money--no one gave it to me for review or anything like that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulator 1.JPG
Views:	1207
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	33140
    The insulator fits perfectly in the skylight over the sink in my 315RLTS.

Name:	Insulator 2.JPG
Views:	1029
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	33141
    Installing the Insulator in the Skylight

Early next week I'll run a few tests with a Elitech temperature monitor to see how much heat builds up between the skylight and the insulation. As of now I do not have any recommendation, but first impression is a pretty good one. I can easily see how it would make a huge difference in a cold weather camp setup.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

I'll be interested in the test outcome, FL sun keeps our bathroom quite warm.

Comment

We use camper world pillows in the winter, any insulation helps.
      2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
      2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
      E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
      Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

It has cooled off dramatically here in NW Florida over the last several days, but I decided to do a quick test anyway.

Using a temp gun the skylight's inner surface was measured at 84 degrees.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gun.JPG Views:	0 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	33704

The trailer's thermostat showed 75 degrees. (The kitchen and bathroom vents were open so trailer was comfortable based on the outside temperature even though it was a sunny day.)

I then taped a Elitech temperature sensor to the inner surface of the living room skylight and started a recording session.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Taped.JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	33703
        After about a minute I installed the insulation. I ran the Elitech for just a bit over 30 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Insulator.JPG Views:	0 Size:	274.4 KB ID:	33705
        When I removed the insulation and stopped the Elitech's recording the trailer's thermostat was still 75 degrees, but the temp gun recorded the skylight's inner surface temp at 93.6 F.

The chart below shows what the Elitech registered. Max temp is ~102.2 F.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201102 Elitech Graph.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.7 KB ID:	33702
        Given the day was exceptionally temperate, the results from this quick test are remarkable. I did not expect that large (or fast) of a temperature rise.

I'll definitely be doing more testing in the future.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Howard

The only caution I can think of is that TucsonJim did a tinted sky light mod a while back and had noted that part of the sky light started to crack from the heat generated between the outside sky light cover and the tinted modification. Maybe he will shed some light on this.

​​​​​​​Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Howard

The only caution I can think of is that TucsonJim did a tinted sky light mod a while back and had noted that part of the sky light started to crack from the heat generated between the outside sky light cover and the tinted modification. Maybe he will shed some light on this.

​​​​​​​Brian
            I remember Jim's mod quite well. I had done it to my trailer, too, and removed it after Jim identified the issue.

I'll admit I don't like the first results with the insulator. It may only be for cold weather application, but there's not enough data (yet). I plan on emailing the OEM, too, and asking for their input on my results before making writing an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I remember Jim's mod quite well. I had done it to my trailer, too, and removed it after Jim identified the issue.

I'll admit I don't like the first results with the insulator. It may only be for cold weather application, but there's not enough data (yet). I plan on emailing the OEM, too, and asking for their input on my results before making writing an opinion.
              I look forward to your results but suspect that it is really only meant for cold and you could damage the skylight with the heat that is going be trapped there.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

As mentioned by others, I removed the inner panel and put a dark tinted film on it. The heat that the dark panel generated was enough to damage the plastic. I'm in the process now of ordering two replacement outer covers that are dark tinted. Once I get them in place, I'll see how they do.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I did another 2 hour test today. Beautiful, warm 83F with bright sunshine.

Interior of the camper was 86 degrees when I opened it up (12:50 in the afternoon). Skylight temp (as measured by the thermal gun) was 100 degrees.

Taped up the Elitech to the skylight (as shown in post 4) and installed the Energy Wise insulator. Below are the results. Note the highest temp was over 158 degrees. (!) As the sun moved and became less intense the temps started to drop.

Outside temp was 82 degrees at test conclusion (~two hours). The skylight temp (as measured by the thermal gun) was 106 degrees. (No idea what the temp was when the Elitech measured the 158 degree air temp.)

Name:	20201108 Graph Results.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	34273

There's an ongoing conversation with Energy Wise via email happening as I write this post. Cliffnotes: they haven't done any testing or know of specifications on what is considered "too hot" for RV skylights. I have at least one more email to exchange with them and then I'll post the conversation in another post. (They know I am going to do that.)

Bottom line: I won't be using the two insulators (one for living room and one for the bathroom) when the sun is out, except on possibly very cold days. I can see the advantage of the product at night in a hot environment, but IMO it gets too hot above the insulator when the sun is out.

When it gets cold I'll try to do a bit more testing.

Howard

Comment

That sounds like a plan Howard, just at night would help retain nice cool conditioned air as the wife sleeps hot all the time!

Comment

Does Not fit the 21RBH as the sides are slanted.

Comment

Originally posted by scarfile View Post
                        Does Not fit the 21RBH as the sides are slanted.
                        Wow--that's really interesting. I'm very surprised GD is using a different type of skylight in the 21RBH. I wonder if this was a supply issue (they used what they could get).

Comment

Working...
                        X