Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Wrongwayrver
    Hi Randy . . . good to see you posting ideas on here 😁.

I have followed a similar plan to Guest Jim and others in trying to seal the "first line of defence" being the coroplast to the underbody. But, there are any number of access points around slide actuators, etc, that are impossible to seal. A mouse can get through an opening smaller than a quarter. See this related thread for ideas on mouse "repellent". https://gdrvowners.com/forum/grand-d...ice-protection.

Jkwilson John, I just noticed your comment "I don’t think there are any intentional returns from the heated basement into the utility area." from a while ago. There are multiple openings across the top of that wall where it only comes up to the bottom of the floor structure above.

Over the winter (our first winter storing the RV because of Covid travel restriction) I left an assortment of bait traps outside the trailer. (On top of the tires and slide actuators, etc.) I put kill and hold traps inside in case a mouse still ventured inside. All traps inside the RV have remained empty although I am catching mice in the house garage next to the RV.

Rob
    Thanks Rob,

I'm not seeing daylight around the slide when fully open or closed but will keep an eye on this area. From the other post, it seems your cat is the best defense while camping. The possible offensive smell of the dryer sheets may help but I have no proof of that.

Jim

Comment

Saw a recent BTBRV YouTube video where he (JD) stuffed steel wool in the holes, then used plastic rings that have fingers in them to go around the pipes on top of the steel wool. These plastic rings are split on one end and snap together. The fingers are similar to the ones that GD uses for the hole where you bring the fresh water hose up through the bottom of the wet bay.

https://youtu.be/hinpK7xZ0SE
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

It is amazing what one discovers on projects. GD actually put a return air register in my trailer. Its behind the commode on my floor plan which is very close to the furnace. I was in my basement and kept seeing daylight. Then I saw the vent from below and the light was from the bath skylight. So in rethinking this I can probably seal up a few of the penetrations after all.

It would be good to get GD's input on this question - what was in their thinking? Some of my pipe penetrations have the plastic collar around the pipes stapled to the floor and other penetrations nothing.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I found this thread searching for one on removing the AC registers in my Transcend. Has anyone considered using small bubble wrap for sealing the floor gaps? Maybe reinforced with Gorilla tape?

I use stainless steel wool where my freshwater hose comes into the trailer. I hooked up, stuff the wools around the hose and close the slotted cover. I don't want the hose used as an easy access point. I also use electronic repellent but have no idea if they are effective.

If someone can direct me to instruction on removing the outer part of the AC vent, I would appreciate it.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

I used a small piece of pipe insulation sort of like a pool noodle for the feed to the toilet. I haven't looked under the cabinets yet for those holes.
            John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
            2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
            ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
            2017 Jayco 26BH
            2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

I use brass wool in the convenience area (where water comes up into the rig. We never keep food in the rig when not using. My holes are definitely not sealed and the bottom is not sealed (I keep removing part of it to work on it).

We have only had 1 winter...but so far no rodents.

I do have a clear spot under the sink wear heat goes into the underbelly. I second Howson's thought about expandable foam...if I have to take it out...something serious has gone wrong. Having said that....a return makes sense too......a little torn. Was thinking of sealing these up after I finish a few more projects....

I may go with this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8f7615d7d4f203
              2020 Imagine 2400BH
              2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
              X