Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceiling thickness in bedroom closet slide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling thickness in bedroom closet slide?

I've already fired this question off to GD support but hoping someone here might have an answer.
    I am looking to add a ceiling mounted clothes hanger strip into the bedroom closet in our 374TH. I am assuming the ceiling would be about 2" thick but would like to confirm that before I start poking screws through.
    Has anyone done anything that would confirm or refute that?
    Thanks -Rob-
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
    I've already fired this question off to GD support but hoping someone here might have an answer.
    I am looking to add a ceiling mounted clothes hanger strip into the bedroom closet in our 374TH. I am assuming the ceiling would be about 2" thick but would like to confirm that before I start poking screws through.
    Has anyone done anything that would confirm or refute that?
    Thanks -Rob-
    In the slide? (The drawing shows "closets" on both sides of the bed, too.)

Your question is intriguing because I don't think there's one drawing in our possession (our=moderators) that shows the construction of a slide unit. That roof could just be un-reinforced foam and laminate. When you get the answer from GD Customer Service, please post what they tell you.

TucsonJim
    Cate&Rob
    Country Campers

Am I missing something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	374th.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	37043
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

In the slide? (The drawing shows "closets" on both sides of the bed, too.)

Your question is intriguing because I don't think there's one drawing in our possession (our=moderators) that shows the construction of a slide unit. That roof could just be un-reinforced foam and laminate. When you get the answer from GD Customer Service, please post what they tell you.

TucsonJim
      Cate&Rob
      Country Campers

Am I missing something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	374th.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	37043
      Yup. That's the spot. It is a slide as shown in the diagram. The problem is the hanger rods are mounted to the walls about 8" below the ceiling. As a result anything hung using hangers is partially laying on the floor of the closet. I want to mount a hanger strip to the ceiling.
      -
      2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Comment

Yup. That's the spot. It is a slide as shown in the diagram. The problem is the hanger rods are mounted to the walls about 8" below the ceiling. As a result anything hung using hangers is partially laying on the floor of the closet. I want to mount a hanger strip to the ceiling.
        I'll tag our GD hosts offline and see if I can find out how that slide is constructed (get a diagram). Maybe the rod can be moved up on the wall? I want to confirm what's behind that paneling, though, before making that recommendation.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I'll tag our GD hosts offline and see if I can find out how that slide is constructed (get a diagram). Maybe the rod can be moved up on the wall? I want to confirm what's behind that paneling, though, before making that recommendation.
          Thanks Howard. Another part of the problem is that this is at the back end of the trailer. Getting anything to stay on those rods while bouncing down the highways is a challenge. Hence the desire to switch to ceiling mounted hanger strips.
          -Rob-
          -

Comment

Thanks Howard. Another part of the problem is that this is at the back end of the trailer. Getting anything to stay on those rods while bouncing down the highways is a challenge. Hence the desire to switch to ceiling mounted hanger strips.
            -Rob-
            The answer to almost every RV problem: pool noodles. Cram one between the ceiling and closet rod (length-wise) and your clothes will stay put.

Comment

Another option would be to remove the rod, slide as many of these hangers as you need onto the rod, and then reinstall it:

https://smile.amazon.com/HANGERWORLD...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                Another option would be to remove the rod, slide as many of these hangers as you need onto the rod, and then reinstall it:

https://smile.amazon.com/HANGERWORLD...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
                That's an idea. Little pricey though. Over $40 for 10 by the time they get here (Canada) :(
                Not available on Amazon.ca unfortunately.
                -

Comment

That's an idea. Little pricey though. Over $40 for 10 by the time they get here (Canada) :(
                  Not available on Amazon.ca unfortunately.
                  Being a Canadian, channel a bit of the '"Red Green Show" wisdom and whip out some bailing wire to complete the "circle" on those hangers. If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

KamFlyer ,
                    If you have a magnet or stud finder, based on a diagram I received from GD there *should* be an EGS (electro-galvanized steel) strip or a wood stud 4" down from the ceiling, running horizontally, in the closet. How far down from the ceiling is the rod installed now?

There also appears to be what looks like a stud or EGS about 17" above the floor, also running horizontally.

Can you identify the location of both of these supports using a stud finder through the paneling?

If you're determined to move the clothes hanging rod higher, one possible solution is to attach supports vertically the entire height of the closet, using the aforementioned attachment locations (assuming you can find them). Then attach a horizontal support to the new vertical supports at the height of your choosing.

I hope that word picture makes some sense.

Note my interpretation may be skewed. If Rob, Brian or Jim have a different take (they have the drawing, too) please give their input serious consideration.

Howard

Country Campers
                    Cate&Rob
                    TucsonJim

Comment

I did get an answer but it didn't make much sense. They tell me the ceiling is 4-5" thick which isn't so. My guesstimate is 1-1/2" - 2". At any rate I did a bit of careful exploring by drilling a small hole in the ceiling material and carefully probing. I did find a metal layer right above the ceiling material (luan?) and at least an inch of something soft above that. I didn't go any further as that was all I needed. I used 1/2" screws to attach the new hangers. They go through the surface material and sufficiently into the metal layer to provide a solid bite.
                      Attached Files
                      -

Comment

I did get an answer but it didn't make much sense. They tell me the ceiling is 4-5" thick which isn't so. My guesstimate is 1-1/2" - 2". At any rate I did a bit of careful exploring by drilling a small hole in the ceiling material and carefully probing. I did find a metal layer right above the ceiling material (luan?) and at least an inch of something soft above that. I didn't go any further as that was all I needed. I used 1/2" screws to attach the new hangers. They go through the surface material and sufficiently into the metal layer to provide a solid bite.
                        There does appear to be a strip of EGS in the ceiling, about 11 1/8" from the front edge. I didn't mention it because of the vertical "g' forces that the clothes (and hanger hardware) will transfer to the attachment points while towing. As accurately noted in post #5, the rear of the camper takes the most punishment while underway. Please report after a few trips with how it held up (good or bad).

Howard

Comment

Glad you found a fix. We have hangers similar to these https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-1200...s%2C306&sr=8-5
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

KamFlyer ,
                            If you have a magnet or stud finder, based on a diagram I received from GD there *should* be an EGS (electro-galvanized steel) strip or a wood stud 4" down from the ceiling, running horizontally, in the closet.
                            Any chance you could 'share' that diagram?
                            -

Comment

Any chance you could 'share' that diagram?
                              The EGS mentioned is probably on the outside wall , this is a Schwintek slide that has the rails at the top and bottom and the top rail looks to be right where the mentioned EGS is so it will not be on the inside.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X