Headboard Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headboard Modification

One of the very first upgrades to my trailer was a new mattress. With the new mattress I discovered a way to move the headboard up so the mattress fit underneath. I documented the mod on a different platform when it was accomplished:
    The issue was the headboard was too low for the new, thicker mattress. The mattress would not sit flush against the wall because of the headboard.

I found the headboard is held on the wall by screws hidden by small caps. After unscrewing the headboard from the wall I tucked the upper left and right corners of the headboard between the wall and curtain frame. I then was able to move it high enough to provide enough clearance for the head of the new mattress to sit flush against the wall and make it easy to tuck in sheets, etc. The headboard looks properly centered, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	headboard.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	37275

Today, nearly two years later(!), the DW undertook another mod of the headboard as she didn't like it tucked under the side valances. What she had me do is cut 4.5" off each end of the plywood backer, and then she reshaped the material and backing. Once she finished I reinstalled the headboard.

Name:	cut off.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	37276

Name:	New Headboard.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	37277
    DW is happy. What else could a DH want?

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

I keep waiting for you to run out of projects on your trailer, and want to stay busy by doing some on mine. This post makes my prospects look very dim. You're NEVER going to run out of projects, are you?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
      I keep waiting for you to run out of projects on your trailer, and want to stay busy by doing some on mine. This post makes my prospects look very dim. You're NEVER going to run out of projects, are you?
      The DW already has plans for me to completely redo the dinette and couch area. :( But I think I've begged off until next year on those projects.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The DW already has plans for me to completely redo the dinette and couch area. :( But I think I've begged off until next year on those projects.
        With all the modifications, enhancements, improvements, and overall complete rebuild, (with much more to come.......the trend is clear) I can see it coming already - a name change from a GDRV Reflection to a "Howson Custom Coach Works" RV !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

One of the very first upgrades to my trailer was a new mattress. With the new mattress I discovered a way to move the headboard up so the mattress fit underneath. I documented the mod on a different platform when it was accomplished:
          The issue was the headboard was too low for the new, thicker mattress. The mattress would not sit flush against the wall because of the headboard.

I found the headboard is held on the wall by screws hidden by small caps. After unscrewing the headboard from the wall I tucked the upper left and right corners of the headboard between the wall and curtain frame. I then was able to move it high enough to provide enough clearance for the head of the new mattress to sit flush against the wall and make it easy to tuck in sheets, etc. The headboard looks properly centered, too.

Name:	headboard.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	37275

Today, nearly two years later(!), the DW undertook another mod of the headboard as she didn't like it tucked under the side valances. What she had me do is cut 4.5" off each end of the plywood backer, and then she reshaped the material and backing. Once she finished I reinstalled the headboard.

Name:	cut off.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	37276

Name:	New Headboard.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	37277
          DW is happy. What else could a DH want?

Howard
          Hey Howard, do you happen to recall how deep of a thread were on the screws? I only ask because before I put our unit away for winter, I noticed our headboard is coming loose. When I looked at it, it appeared that they used a connector with very shallow threads, and not really like a screw. Seemed more like a large pushpin with a bit of ribbing. Thanks!
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
            ..., do you happen to recall how deep of a thread were on the screws?
            I'd guess 3/4". Very coarse threads...definitely wood screws.

Comment

I feel you. We abandoned our dinette and moved the couch there for now (replacing it with something eventually) and put a table and folding chairs where the couch was. Now my wife has decided to paint. The pandemic has led to a lot of projects I never thought we would consider lol.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I'd guess 3/4". Very coarse threads...definitely wood screws.
                Interesting, thanks for the info! Great work BTW
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Working...
                X