New step in 320 MKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New step in 320 MKS

We have a new 320 MKS and the wife is wanting me to change the steps from 3 to 4 going up to the bedroom and bathroom. Anyone else been able to do this? Can you share pictures?

sounds like I have my winter project.
    Last edited by howson; 03-16-2021, 08:18 AM.
    Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
    2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

50ST8R ,
    I found the chart below at https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution This should give you an idea if a four-step will work on your trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	steps.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	38981

If you'll search for "Torklift" on this forum you'll find many related posts about various step options. Here's my thread on the topic: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...n-a-19-315rlts

While I really like the steps, others do not. The best advice when it comes to steps is to try them yourself. How? By meandering around an RV park looking at what other people have installed on their units. When you spot something interesting, ask if you can try it. (Most people are very accommodating.) This is how Fran and I ended up with the Glowstep Revolution steps. We met a couple with a Solitude that had the steps. Fran tried them and immediately liked them.

We've had them for quite awhile now and would buy the Glowsteps again without hesitation (though there are some improvements I'd like to see, including making it easy to secure/pin in place).

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      50ST8R ,
      I found the chart below at https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution This should give you an idea if a four-step will work on your trailer.
      Howard, it appears I may need to go and edit my post. The additional stairs is for the inside to make a smaller rise on each step to the bedroom and bathroom. We got the glow steps and love them. Very stable and easy to use. The wife has a knee that doesn’t always cooperate and we have heard of people adding an extra step inside then using below the step as a shoe storage. Saw a picture of one on the a Reflection FB group but wanted some in process if possible.
      Last edited by howson; 12-30-2020, 01:02 PM. Reason: Shortened quote...
      Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger

Comment

Hi 50st8r, welcome. I took a look at your floor plan on the GD website and it looks like you have very little room to increase the run before you reach the entry door. Whatever you do keep all the rises equal to avoid a potential tripping event. Climbing stairs is a muscle memory event. Any change in a riser height in a run could cause a fall. Best of luck with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by fmartinmn View Post
          Hi 50st8r, welcome. I took a look at your floor plan on the GD website and it looks like you have very little room to increase the run before you reach the entry door. Whatever you do keep all the rises equal to avoid a potential tripping event. Climbing stairs is a muscle memory event. Any change in a riser height in a run could cause a fall. Best of luck with your project.
          Thanks. In measuring the steps now they are 9, 8, and 8.5 so they didn’t do well in putting them in. I have a plan drawn out to change to 6 3/8 for each. There is effectively 23 inches to work with laterally so about 7 5/8 width at the sides. I intend to bow them as the original steps which then gives the center of the step just under 10 inches which is a standard step. I want to make the risers first then test the step dynamics before installing.

Looks good on paper😁

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post

Thanks. In measuring the steps now they are 9, 8, and 8.5 so they didn’t do well in putting them in. I have a plan drawn out to change to 6 3/8 for each. There is effectively 23 inches to work with laterally so about 7 5/8 width at the sides. I intend to bow them as the original steps which then gives the center of the step just under 10 inches which is a standard step. I want to make the risers first then test the step dynamics before installing.

Looks good on paper😁
            I am not sure that the steps in my unit are the same as what you have but I will let you know what I learned when doing a little step project.

The bottom step has 2 screws that go thru the front carpet at an angle down into the floor. If you feel around the carpet you should find the holes that they drove the screws thru. If you remove the part of wall in the pass thru you will see the back and structure of the steps , caution there may be a 120v plug on the wall piece. From the pass thru side you can see all of the screw that anchor the steps to the floor and side structures. I found some screws that I also had to remove the false wall section to get to as well. The bottom step and the top step sections are 2 separate pieces. I had to lift the top step section out to be able to rotate the bottom section the get it out. Not sure if this will help but once you get in there look around for screws and how it is assembled.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I am not sure that the steps in my unit are the same as what you have but I will let you know what I learned when doing a little step project.

The bottom step has 2 screws that go thru the front carpet at an angle down into the floor. If you feel around the carpet you should find the holes that they drove the screws thru. If you remove the part of wall in the pass thru you will see the back and structure of the steps , caution there may be a 120v plug on the wall piece. From the pass thru side you can see all of the screw that anchor the steps to the floor and side structures. I found some screws that I also had to remove the false wall section to get to as well. The bottom step and the top step sections are 2 separate pieces. I had to lift the top step section out to be able to rotate the bottom section the get it out. Not sure if this will help but once you get in there look around for screws and how it is assembled.

Brian
              Thanks that should be quite helpful.. I have no carpet in this area at all so am thinking most of the connecting screws should all be in the basement. Yes I have a GFCI outlet that I will probably reroute the electrical for as it is just loose behind the receptacle. I found that when I was searching to disconnect the converter after my initial Victron Inverter project. Adding almost 2 inches at the bottom to come out to the door is not much of a problem, but going back another inch toward the bathroom door may be a bit more problematic. Looking to build a riser for both sides to specs then can fasten it together and see if steps are workable from my other half’s perspective. She is always the chief inspector.

Will keep progress posted once we start.

Comment

Update. I finished the stairs today. We changed the rise from 8.5 inches to 6.75. I contacted GD and got another step from them. The steps are about 9.5 inches wide which is just under what most residential steps are at 10 inches

We ordered a step from GD directly. When you remove all of the screws from the existing they come out fairly easily. I found a screw from the front into the outside wall on both that you have to work around the carrier on. I made the boxes for each step with 6 3/8 inch rise. The GD steps have a 2 inch vote in the front so I made the boxes 7 7/16 deep. I just screwed each box to the floor starting with the lowest then screwed each to the other as I built the three
                Last edited by 50ST8R; 03-08-2021, 09:00 PM. Reason: Updated

Comment

50ST8R Good looking project. Bet you learned a lot about framing in a camper.

I know when i pulled the basement wall to put the carpet in I was amazed at everything back there. I could take 2 weeks just to clean up the wiring and plumbing.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by 50ST8R View Post
                    Update
                    Nicely done! Adding to modification list.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So.... I'm about 6 months too late, but if you are trying to get more stairs in a shorter space, you could always do "witch's stairs". Essentially you get twice as many steps in the same space.

Mike
                      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                        So.... I'm about 6 months too late, but if you are trying to get more stairs in a shorter space, you could always do "witch's stairs". Essentially you get twice as many steps in the same space.

I can't imagine negotiating those when not fully awake! They remind me of some of the obstacle courses in the Army...

Rob
                        Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                        X