390 RKR pantry modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 390 RKR pantry modification

When we picked up our new Solitude, we showed up with two trucks and a utility trailer loaded with most of our RV possessions. We had to be 450 miles north a week later for a work project, and didn't have time to drive 220 miles south to home to load it. We picked up our unit, and drove a short distance to a campground where we loaded it up with our stuff. We quickly found that the pantry doors as installed were an obstacle at the entrance to the kitchen when open, and really weren't very efficient when trying to retrieve something. I decided to install piano hinges in between the left and right doors, making a bifold door out of each the top and bottom sections. This at least made the pantry operational for us from a kitchen standpoint. In the time since the photos were taken, we actually organized the contents (no we don't travel like that, lol). We also removed the third drawer down; this allows use of the bottom drawer as a pot and pan drawer.

I figured out that if I exchanged top for bottom of the right and doors, and inverted them, that the pulls would be oriented correctly=no new holes to the exterior of the doors. The only new holes were for the 12 #6 x 3/8 screws holding the piano hinges on. I bought a 48 inch hinge, black, and cut it in half to yield two 24 inch hinges, and 24 of the screws. Total cost less than $20. We find it much easier to live with. It travels fine once we figured out how to keep the drawers in place. A quick trip to Walmart for a yard stick wedged in front of the drawers does the trick (about $5).

Photos should be self explanatory.
    Last edited by howson; 01-15-2021, 07:55 AM.
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Here's two more that would not upload on the previous post.
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584

Comment

Really unique solution to an obvious problem of getting into the pantry from the island area. Did you move the latch for the right hand door over to the right side of the cabinet? I don't see it in the picture with the hinge-side.

Since you seem to be handy, if the drawers don't pull all the way out, you can replace the drawer glides (the two drawers you have remaining) with extended drawer glides and then you can get at all of the contents in the drawer more easily.
      Pat and Karen
      2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

DarnDave
        A very clever and useful modification . . . well done!

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

DarnDave -- definitely adding this to the modification list!

GDRV-Megan -- consider passing this idea to the Solitude team.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

DarnDave what a great modification and write up! I have sent this over to our Solitude product manager to see if this would be something they would consider doing on our units! This is why I love this forum!! We learn so much from our amazing community of owners!!

howson thanks for the tag!

Comment

Cate&Rob , howson , GDRV-Megan First, thank you all for the kind remarks. I discovered this site a few weeks before we pulled the trigger on our order. I have learned much here. In fact, we decided to upgrade to 8K axles on our unit thanks to info on this site! And thank God, because we checked so many option boxes that even with the 8K axles, we only have 2400 lbs of capacity as built, dry. With a full fresh tank, and propane, that is closer to 1500 lbs! So I am happy to share. Have other stuff up my sleeve which will happen soon. I'll share those rabbits as they happen.

pengle ., yes I moved the catches on three of the doors. The bottom left was left where it was, under the horizontal divider between top and bottom sections. The bottom right catch was moved several inches to the right, about two inches left of the door pull. The top door catches mirror the bottom ones, but on top of that horizontal strip.

Comment

Working...
              X