No Glue on Shelves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Glue on Shelves

Hi All - I was wondering if anyone else is completely horrified that storage shelving is held together with staples and no glue. During a trip last week, one of my shelves collapsed. It is not like I was storing lead weights on it.
    Did anyone have any guidance on maximum loads for these shelves? If I have cans of food in the kitchen shelves, can I expect it to hold up to a days traveling?

I am supposed to be going on a 4 month road trip in 2 weeks time - I feel sick to my stomach just now.
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Colin
    Colin, Theresa & Ashley
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    2003 F250 7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by rossi141 View Post
    Hi All - I was wondering if anyone else is completely horrified that storage shelving is held together with staples and no glue. During a trip last week, one of my shelves collapsed. It is not like I was storing lead weights on it.
    Did anyone have any guidance on maximum loads for these shelves? If I have cans of food in the kitchen shelves, can I expect it to hold up to a days traveling?

I am supposed to be going on a 4 month road trip in 2 weeks time - I feel sick to my stomach just now.
    Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Colin
    Colin,
    What shelves are you referencing? If you'll post a pic that will help.

In my 315RLTS, the floor of the cabinets at the sides of the couch have the same issue. Only very light items can go in those cabinets. Your 28BH doesn't appear to have these cabinets, so it must be something else.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinets.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	40482
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by rossi141 View Post
      Hi All - I was wondering if anyone else is completely horrified that storage shelving is held together with staples and no glue. . .
      Colin
      Hi Colin,

I don't know that I could get to "completely horrified" over this, but you are not likely to find glued joints in RV cabinetry (by any manufacturer). Everything goes together with staples or brad nails . . . usually lots of them. If you can post a picture of what you are concerned about, we might be able to give you some ideas as to how we have improved similar situations in our trailers.

Rob

Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Appreciate the response. I will get photos later.
        The particular ones that have fallen are in the bunk room behind the ladder - they are quite large shelves.
        My limited experience in woodworking from school says either you use screws or nails + glue. Over time, nails alone (or staples in this case) will fall out. I guess speed is of the essence just now, and quality does not matter so much. I called GD - I must say that I have been super impressed with their support (this is my second dealing with them).
        Colin, Theresa & Ashley
        2021 Reflection 28BH
        2003 F250 7.3 Diesel

Comment

Working...
        X