Repair to cover hole in wall left by removing solar controler. Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair to cover hole in wall left by removing solar controler. Need advice

Something I have never done on an RV is repair a hole. Cut a lot of them, but never patched one. I want it to look good - not look like a patch.

What am I up to you ask??

I am installing a BMV 712 and removing a Go Power PWM-30 solar controller from the wall for a place to put it. I am replacing the PWM with a MPPT solar controller Decided to keep the undersized Victron unit to replace the PWM one that is not Lithium compatible. I want to and use the hole for BMV 712 but hole is way oversized. Long story other posts elsewhere.

The controller face plate is 4.25" by 7.48" or 108mm by 190mm for our northern friends. the cut out is about 1/2" smaller, but I need to cover the existing screw holes that are at the edge of the face plate. Now to go back in the hole I am wanting to mount the BMV 712. Its 2" in diameter. It came with an optional cover plate that 2.58" square. So I need something strong enough to hold the BMV unit that will cover the hole and look good. Now I can build almost anything out of wood, just not this small and delicate. Besides I want it to look good and I don't think a piece of 1/4 in ply would look good, even painted or stained.

I had thought about black plexiglass, but you can see through it? Maybe paint the back? However I have never worked with the stuff nor do I know where to get it. I know it scratches easily too. Steel or aluminum plate? Don't really have the tools. Any help is appreciated.

Question - Is there a source out there that can make the plate up with the hole in it? Not having much luck searching, but I really don't know what to call it.

Click image for larger version.   Name:	IMG_0158s.JPG  Views:	2  Size:	36.8 KB  ID:	31786

The controller I am removing and where the plate would go is on the back wall by the stairs below the T-stat and above light switch. Dealer put the existing solar controller there as wires can easily run from the roof to the basement through this wall beside the vent stack which runs vertical. Its about where the edge of the mirror is.

Thanks for any help

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda

I'd get a piece of nice wood and cut to the right size to cover the existing hole with a little extra. Router the edges with SWMBO's desired pattern, and stain to match the interior. The BMV, of course, mounts in the middle of the new panel. The panel then gets mounted on the wall over the existing hole.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Yoda

I'd get a piece of nice wood and cut to the right size to cover the existing hole with a little extra. Router the edges with SWMBO's desired pattern, and stain to match the interior. The BMV, of course, mounts in the middle of the new panel. The panel then gets mounted on the wall over the existing hole.

Howard
      I had not thought of staining to match the interior. That might work. Would need to find some 1/4 furniture grade ply. Or could plane down some solid hardwood too. Dont want it cracking. Ill check withe local custom cabinet shops. Maybe they have a scrap piece available.

Thanks
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

Plexiglas can be purchased at any glass shop, and they can bevel it. And you can paint the back to prevent seeing through it. It looks like an attractive cover plate of wood, Plexiglas or other material would be the best route.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Keith,

Plexiglas can be purchased at any glass shop, and they can bevel it. And you can paint the back to prevent seeing through it. It looks like an attractive cover plate of wood, Plexiglas or other material would be the best route.

Jim
          I got lucky. local metal shop is making up a 16 gauge aluminum plate, complete with holes $15. Just need to sand and paint. Caught him at the right time. Its already done - just need the snow to stop so I can pick up. What paint is good for aluminum?

Thanks everyone

Comment

It is not really the paint it is the primer and the pre painting steps. I believe that there is a special primer for Aluminum. You will have to ruff up the surface to get good adhesion. I have seen paint fall right of after a while with out using the proper items ( do not ask me why I know this).

Anodize is the best method for aluminum but can be expensive for one part.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              It is not really the paint it is the primer and the pre painting steps. I believe that there is a special primer for Aluminum. You will have to ruff up the surface to get good adhesion. I have seen paint fall right of after a while with out using the proper items ( do not ask me why I know this).

Anodize is the best method for aluminum but can be expensive for one part.

Brian
              Thanks Brian
              He was going to have prep instruction there tomorrow when I go to pick it up. He was running it through their washer tonight with a bunch of other parts he was making for someone.

Comment

You’re already set but my suggestion was going to be to have something made up (wood or metal) to house everything that’s on the wall. Pull them all off and remount them all to make them nice and pretty. That’s what I did.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Powder coat it black. Last a long time. Or any other color you choose.
                  2021 Momentum 21G
                  2020 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyp View Post
                    Thanks
                    Ill look into that tomorrow, Durango is a small place, but I think there is at least one place to check on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyp View Post
                      Found a place to powder coat. Does $25 sound about right?

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Found a place to powder coat. Does $25 sound about right?
                        As long as it holds. Painting would be cheaper though.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian
                          That's the big question - getting paint to stick to aluminum. The powder coat folks sandblast and treat the aluminum then powder coat. Folks said their process eliminates any chance of paint separation. Besides - like my typing skills, my painting skills are much worse

Comment

Brian
                            Today was a good day. Cal steel in Durango gave me a very wrong estimate. Instead of $15 it was $8.75. Now this was for a 4.5" by 7.75" piece of 16 gauge aluminum with a 2" center hole and 1/8 inch holes in the corners for mounting. All edges were smoothed over too. I was charged $3.58 for materials and a whopping $5 for labor. From the marks on the plate he did it old school. No CNC work here. I asked about painting and they said to take it to Evolution Powder Coating. Its a little shop hidden in the back of SKA fabricating. They too overestimated their price. Instead or $25 they will be doing it for $20. Found a very durable 10% gloss flat black coating. Should be done next week as they use that same color a lot. Lesson learned SHOP LOCAL Other prices I had gotten on the net were over $100 - one about $180 (Engineer and CNC time). Ill post a picture of the finished plate when done. BTW that $20 includes the sand blasting prep and everything. America still has honest shops and they have earned my business.

Should be done next week sometime.

Thanks everyone for the ideas
                            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Today was a good day. Cal steel in Durango gave me a very wrong estimate. Instead of $15 it was $8.75. Now this was for a 4.5" by 7.75" piece of 16 gauge aluminum with a 2" center hole and 1/8 inch holes in the corners for mounting. All edges were smoothed over too. I was charged $3.58 for materials and a whopping $5 for labor. From the marks on the plate he did it old school. No CNC work here. I asked about painting and they said to take it to Evolution Powder Coating. Its a little shop hidden in the back of SKA fabricating. They too overestimated their price. Instead or $25 they will be doing it for $20. Found a very durable 10% gloss flat black coating. Should be done next week as they use that same color a lot. Lesson learned SHOP LOCAL Other prices I had gotten on the net were over $100 - one about $180 (Engineer and CNC time). Ill post a picture of the finished plate when done. BTW that $20 includes the sand blasting prep and everything. America still has honest shops and they have earned my business.

Should be done next week sometime.

Thanks everyone for the ideas
                              Keith
                              It is always good to find a local shop that is willing to help an individual out. A lot of shops will not do this.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X