Different GVWR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different GVWR?

There is something that is bothering me, and after some research I can make sense of it. How can two trailers use the same frame/chassis, have the same axel rating but have different GVWR?
    2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Well that is a good question. If you have two models in mind that might help the discussion.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I know there have been a couple of models that were reassessed for their GVWR at various points in time. Based on the engineering that was available, the GVWR's were changed.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Well that is a good question. If you have two models in mind that might help the discussion.

Brian

So my brother was looking into the model I have (2021 Imagine 2800BH) and also to the Winnebago Minnie 2801BHS. He went to the Tampa RV show and talking to a factory rep he came to realize there is a different of 800 lbs in GVWR between the two. They are very similar models and, as per the rep, on the same chassis.
        2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          I know there have been a couple of models that were reassessed for their GVWR at various points in time. Based on the engineering that was available, the GVWR's were changed.

Jim
          I wonder how often they do this. I think they need to reassess some of the models in the Imagine line.
          2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

From what I have found is that the Imagine has 2 4400# axels but only a 7995# GVWR. If the Winnie has the same axels they are labeling it at the axel capacity. Tires would determine the weight rating as well but I can not find tire size and weight rating for the Imagine.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              From what I have found is that the Imagine has 2 4400# axels but only a 7995# GVWR. If the Winnie has the same axels they are labeling it at the axel capacity. Tires would determine the weight rating as well but I can not find tire size and weight rating for the Imagine.

Brian
              My 2021 came with 225/75R15 rated at 2830 lbs at 80 PSI. The Winnie has the same axels.
              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

GVWR is a rating. The manufacturer rates the vehicle based on the weakest link of the load bearing components: frame,suspension, axles, wheels, tires, and maybe even (I'm not sure because I never had to deal with them) the tongue. So Winnie and GD could use the same 4400# axles and one could have a higher GVWR then the other based on another component in the mix: tires, springs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BillandMaryLockhart View Post
                  GVWR is a rating. The manufacturer rates the vehicle based on the weakest link of the load bearing components: frame,suspension, axles, wheels, tires, and maybe even (I'm not sure because I never had to deal with them) the tongue. So Winnie and GD could use the same 4400# axles and one could have a higher GVWR then the other based on another component in the mix: tires, springs, etc.
                  I agree--the weakest link in the chain will determine the ultimate rating (or should). I don't discount that the marketing department is involved somewhere along the line in the decision process.

Noted that was your first post, BillandMaryLockhart, so please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                  X