Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a weight limit for overhead loft bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a weight limit for overhead loft bed?

Just purchased a new 2021 Momentum M-Class 381M-R toy hauler and want to use the overhead loft area (kitchen side access) for storage. Is there a specific weight limit that I need to be aware of before storing? I understand it’s a small bed space to hold the weight of an average person, just may want to store more than a person’s weight. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Ellis32198; 02-23-2021, 08:52 AM.
    Please assume that if I’m asking, I’ve already searched the manual.
    2010 Ram 3500 6.7L I6 T-Diesel DRW | 2021 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 381M-R

Originally posted by Ellis32198 View Post
    Just purchased a new 2021 Momentum M-Class 381M-R toy hauler and want to use the overhead loft area (kitchen side access) for storage. Is there a specific weight limit that I need to be aware of before storing? I understand it’s a small bed space to hold the weight of an average person, just may want to store more than a person’s weight. THNKS IN ADVANCE!
    There may be a sticker on the frame somewhere? Also have you read through your owners manual. I am sure someone will be along with the answer. And welcome to the form. If you haven't already please take a moment to read the welcome letter. I believe the link is on the home page.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Ellis32198 ... in case you have a hard time finding it, here's a link to the letter referenced by Keith: Welcome Letter to New Members

The owners manuals (if you prefer digital) are here: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...owners-manuals

Interestingly, there's a rating I've never seen or heard about before in v10 of the Momentum manual. It's the SCWR (Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating). This is defined as, The manufacturer’s designated number of sleeping positions multiplied by 154 pounds (70 kilograms). It's in the glossary, page 216. I couldn't find any other reference to this rating in the GD manual, but doing a brief internet search it appears this rating is an RVIA specification.

For a definitive answer (assuming there's no sticker on the frame as suggested by Keith) call your dealer or Grand Design Customer Service.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        Ellis32198 ...

Interestingly, there's a rating I've never seen or heard about before in v10 of the Momentum manual. It's the SCWR (Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating). This is defined as, The manufacturer’s designated number of sleeping positions multiplied by 154 pounds (70 kilograms). It's in the glossary, page 216. I couldn't find any other reference to this rating in the GD manual, but doing a brief internet search it appears this rating is an RVIA specification.

Howard

Wow, 154 lbs per person? I had to do a double check on this and your right, that's what it says. I haven't weighed that since junior high (Now called middle school). Good thing its just me and SWMBO, but now you have me worried that the nose of our fiver will collapse in the middle of the night.

I'm hoping that this is just a factor used by the designers and manufactures when they're developing the load rating for the trailer and not the actual design live load used for sleeping areas and the loft.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post

Wow, 154 lbs per person? I had to do a double check on this and your right, that's what it says. I haven't weighed that since junior high (Now called middle school). Good thing its just me and SWMBO, but now you have me worried that the nose of our fiver will collapse in the middle of the night.

I'm hoping that this is just a factor used by the designers and manufactures when they're developing the load rating for the trailer and not the actual design live load used for sleeping areas and the loft.
          Yep, I actually laughed out loud when I read that rating. My DW meets that rating, but certainly not yours truly.

GDRV-Megan -- can you add any clarity to the baseline GD uses when engineering the weight a bed will carry? Surely it can't be the RVIA "standard" of 154 lbs? Is there a difference between a bed expected to be used by an adult vs a child?

I readily admit there's a lot of gaps in my knowledge in this area. Whatever you can publicly share would be very helpful.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

HMMM.. this is very interesting! I haven't heard of this either until you all brought this up. According to Google, this is the hypothetical weight of passengers. So if you're trying to calculate your CCC, and don't know for sure how much your passengers weigh, this is an average starting point.

howson
            Last edited by GDRV-Megan; 02-22-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
              HMMM.. this is very interesting!
              Indeed--why is this rating even in the GD manual when it's not addressed anywhere else? Something tells me a manual writer did a cut-and-paste from another source...but I digress...

Do you have information that can answer Ellis32198's question (the OP)? See post #1.

Thanks!

Howard

Comment

Safety Factor m = Strength / Stress max Where 1 would be designed right at the point of failure.

This can also be written as m = Load at failure / Normal Load.

So if the engineers used a safety factor of 2, the Load at failure would be 308 and the normal load would be at 154. Unlikely the engineers would share the safety factor since folks would load up to that limit. But you never know.

Jim

Comment

Wow y’all, I really didn’t mean to open this can of worms.

I thought for sure that someone would have asked this previously since loft beds have been a thing for a while. Well, now that the can has been opened...thanks for the assist!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis32198 View Post
                    Wow y’all, I really didn’t mean to open this can of worms.

I thought for sure that someone would have asked this previously since loft beds have been a thing for a while. Well, now that the can has been opened...thanks for the assist!
                    The weight capacity in that bunk is 350 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Indeed--why is this rating even in the GD manual when it's not addressed anywhere else? Something tells me a manual writer did a cut-and-paste from another source...but I digress...

Do you have information that can answer Ellis32198's question (the OP)? See post #1.

Thanks!

Howard
                      One final digression, I suspect that Howard is write and that this was cut and pasted into the glossary from another source, and that this SCWR is more applicable to motor coaches where you need to account than towed RVs. Still doesn't explain the low weight unless RVIA is using an average of say a family of four (No, I have no documentation to support this assumption).

I agree with Guest that a safety factor was used (usually higher than 2 for live loads), but this still doesn't explain the staring base load of 154 lbs per person. Guess we may never know.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post

One final digression, I suspect that Howard is write and that this was cut and pasted into the glossary from another source, and that this SCWR is more applicable to motor coaches where you need to account than towed RVs. Still doesn't explain the low weight unless RVIA is using an average of say a family of four (No, I have no documentation to support this assumption).

I agree with Guest that a safety factor was used (usually higher than 2 for live loads), but this still doesn't explain the staring base load of 154 lbs per person. Guess we may never know.
                        Thanks JBill9694 GDRV-Megan howson Guest I have to say, y'all have been on it and I appreciate the assistance and knowledge base. Great resources you all are!

Comment

Working...
                        X