Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drawer Hardware Repair Job (Notes & Info)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawer Hardware Repair Job (Notes & Info)

Nothing cosmic in this post, but thought I'd share what I learned.

A drawer in the hutch wasn't closing properly and the DW managed to pop the sliding hardware out of the track's frame. What you see in the picture below is the empty slider (bottom left of the first group of pictures) with the bits and pieces on the right. To reinstall I put the bottom black plastic piece (with the three ball bearings) inside the track's frame, then the metal guide, and then was able to wedge one of the ball bearings of the top plastic piece into place. I then used a pair of pliers to (carefully!) snap the remaining bearings into the track.

Before I put the drawer back in I looked to see why the drawer was giving the DW so much trouble. What I found is the left support rail had two screws securing it to the vertical wood brace (note the red arrows) and the right side had NONE (where I put a red X). This caused the whole assembly to wobble and shift. As I investigated further what I found is an electrical grommet holding heater wires was installed too high (the red arrow just below and to the left of the red X) so it was actually behind the right support rail's brace. I'm speculating that the original installer found this, too, and Instead of moving the grommet and installing the second screw where it belonged (on the right brace) they just put the second screw in the left side and called it good. Obviously I moved the grommet down (took all of 10 seconds) and moved one of the screws from the left to the right brace.

I tied down the heater's propane supply hose, too, to make sure the drawer doesn't rub it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	One thing led to another.JPG
Views:	1057
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	4385

Finally, while looking around I also found the propane heater brace screw had backed out. That got reinstalled with a small amount of blue threadlock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	4386
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

While we're on the topic of Drawer Repairs . . . after losing the bottoms out of a couple of drawers while travelling, I pulled all the drawers, turned them over and ran a bead of epoxy along the joint between the 1/8" bottom panel and the drawer sides. (I use West brand epoxy and thickening/bonding additives from my boat experience) No more dropped drawer bottoms.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Howard,

Great catch (no pun intended) on finding the propane line at risk with the drawer issue. That could have gotten messy!

Rob,

Which West System product did you use? I seem to recall they have a line of products. I have an island drawer that the guide backer, similar to the one in Howard's photos but backs up to the outside 1/8" wall of the island, that came loose. GDRV did the staple thing holding the guide backer in place but I want to mount that guide backer to the wall and don't want to use the staple method. Screws would protrude through the wall creating sharp edges on the island or from the outside of the island, not look very nice.

Thanks,
      Lyle
      Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
      2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
      2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by CloseToRetirement View Post

Which West System product did you use?
        Hi Lyle,

I use 105 Resin and 205 Fast Hardener. I buy this by the gallon (boat projects) and use their proportioning pumps to get the ratio exactly correct. You can buy smaller quantities and smaller pumps. This combination will give you about 5 minutes of working time at room temperature. For fillets (like the drawer floor reinforcement), I use their 404 adhesive filler and mix this into the mixed resin and hardener until the mix is about like peanut butter and will not flow from where it is placed. For bonding like you are proposing, I would use 404, but would leave the mix a little more liquid. I would coat both surfaces with a small brush and then press the two parts together so that the positioning bond is wet epoxy to wet epoxy. Don't over clamp the set up . . . you don't want to squeeze the epoxy out. I also use a lot of their 407 low density fairing filler. This is great for fairing, filling and shaping and is very easy to sand . . . but, is not the right filler for bonding two parts together.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          While we're on the topic of Drawer Repairs . . . after losing the bottoms out of a couple of drawers while travelling, I pulled all the drawers, turned them over and ran a bead of epoxy along the joint between the 1/8" bottom panel and the drawer sides. (I use West brand epoxy and thickening/bonding additives from my boat experience) No more dropped drawer bottoms.

Rob
          That is a fantastic idea. I haven't had a problem with dropping my drawers...uh, I mean losing the bottoms out of the camper's drawers...but I'm all about preventative maintenance.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas on fixing the drawers. I have a couple drawers that want to slide in all kady wampus. I'll bet someone skipped putting a screw in where one should be.

Preventing damage before it happens is a great idea. A drawer popping out while traveling will get crunched by a slide when it slides out and really damage it.
            2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. It's HUGE.
            Update: Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19
            10-19-18 - 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4 X 4 Long Box.

Comment

In our 2600RB, the drawer under the stove came off the tracks while traveling. Removed the drawer and found the drawer slide supports/extensions on the back of the cabinet were stapled. Reattached the slide supports with screws, problem solved.

Comment

While we're on the topic of drawers, would anyone care to describe a procedure/technique for aligning drawer latch halves? I've been replace my OEM drawer and cabinet latches with the black plastic snap latches that Winnebago uses in their motorhomes, but I'm frustrated with getting good alignment.

What I've been doing is installing the cabinet half of the latch, then snapping the drawer half of the latch in place, then caulking the drawer half, closing the drawer, opening it, and examining the caulk imprint left on the drawer. If I'm lucky, there'll be two dimples left by the latch screw holes.

Improvements welcomed.

-Steve
                2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                Somerset, WI

Comment

Does anyone have a place to order and part number for the 10" drawer slides for a 2018 reflection 297 .....My ball bearings fell behind the furnace ......Thanks Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pjsandy59@gmail.com View Post
                    Does anyone have a place to order and part number for the 10" drawer slides for a 2018 reflection 297 .....My ball bearings fell behind the furnace ......Thanks Paul
                    TucsonJim -- isn't there a Texas dealership you mentioned at one time that will ship parts?

pjsandy59@gmail.com -- Have you searched the GD parts site? There's a link on the menu bar at the top of this page. Also--generally not a good idea to have an email address as your visible username. If you'd like to drop the "gmail.com" part of what is seen let me know and I'll shorten it to just pjsandy59.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsandy59@gmail.com View Post
                      Paul - I believe the slides are commercially available and will be much cheaper and easier to get through Amazon. Here's a link to what I think you're looking for:

https://smile.amazon.com/Extension-B...4696431&sr=8-4

Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                      X