Fixing an Out of Level Sofa Bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing an Out of Level Sofa Bed

One of my pet peeves (of which I have many) is that the foot of the sofa bed is higher than the head by about an inch. So I said to myself, "no problem, I'll just make a simple adjustment". Wrong! When Lippert manufactured the sofa bed, they put a lot of adjustment holes on the shaft, but unfortunately, it's already at the bottom hole so there is no remaining adjustment. If the sofa bed were mounted on a slide out, it would probably be level when it was deployed. But since it's on the main flooring of our unit, you have an out of level condition.

So, here's what I did step by step.

1. Using a tape measure, check the height of the foot and head of the bed. In ours, it was exactly 1" out of level.
    2. Open the sofa to access the bars at the feet. Remove the bars with a 10mm wrench.
    3. Drill new 1/4" holes exactly 1" below the existing bolt holes.
    4. Cut exactly 1" of the length of the existing bars.
    5. Reinstall the bars and tighten all hardware.

Viola - Our bed is now level when guests want to use it.

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
    One of my pet peeves (of which I have many) is that the foot of the sofa bed is higher than the head by about an inch. So I said to myself, "no problem, I'll just make a simple adjustment". Wrong! When Lippert manufactured the sofa bed, they put a lot of adjustment holes on the shaft, but unfortunately, it's already at the bottom hole so there is no remaining adjustment. If the sofa bed were mounted on a slide out, it would probably be level when it was deployed. But since it's on the main flooring of our unit, you have an out of level condition.

So, here's what I did step by step.

1. Using a tape measure, check the height of the foot and head of the bed. In ours, it was exactly 1" out of level.
    2. Open the sofa to access the bars at the feet. Remove the bars with a 10mm wrench.
    3. Drill new 1/4" holes exactly 1" below the existing bolt holes.
    4. Cut exactly 1" of the length of the existing bars.
    5. Reinstall the bars and tighten all hardware.

Viola - Our bed is now level when guests want to use it.
    This was already on my "To Do" list--your step-by-step will save me a lot of time. Thanks, Jim!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This was on our list also - thanks for posting!
      Andi
      Brookings SD
      2018 Reflection 337RLS
      2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

My sofa bed is actually low on the foot and its mounted in the slide out of my 2600RB.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          My sofa bed is actually low on the foot and its mounted in the slide out of my 2600RB.
          That should be an easy fix with the adjustment holes.
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

That should be an easy fix with the adjustment holes.
            Jim,

My curiosity got the best of me and I went out and looked and there are no alternate holes in mine. I have two U shaped legs on mine where there is not enough material to drill them and move them down in order to gain foot height.

For a quick fix, I was going to make up a couple boards and cut a slot in them with a dado blade to raise it up. Then store the boards behind the couch when not in use. So far we have had grandkids use this for a couple times where there is no urgency. Especially when they could sleep on a bed of rocks without complaint. Man I miss those days. Lol
            Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Jim,

My curiosity got the best of me and I went out and looked and there are no alternate holes in mine. I have two U shaped legs on mine where there is not enough material to drill them and move them down in order to gain foot height.

For a quick fix, I was going to make up a couple boards and cut a slot in them with a dado blade to raise it up. Then store the boards behind the couch when not in use. So far we have had grandkids use this for a couple times where there is no urgency. Especially when they could sleep on a bed of rocks without complaint. Man I miss those days. Lol
              On mine, the adjustment holes were concealed by the u-shaped legs. Remove the bolts and slide the legs down to reveal new holes that you can install the bolt through.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Ah ok Jim.

I will take it apart and check this out. From your pics I thought you might have a different design.

Thank you,

Jim

Comment

This unlevel situation has existed for years. Below is a cut and paste from my narrative elsewhere along with the pictures of my fix method:

Dan
                  Finally got our rear couch/bed legs cut off and adjusted consistent with the threads attached by Ken and Rob to this thread. I did not see where anyone had done a further mod to level the rear section so I did that as well. The 1" pieces I cut off the legs were used as 3/4" spacers (turned sideways) in the rear frame section to level the rear section as well. In addition, on our bed, the front two sections dipped a bit where they meet so when I re-bolted the rear section of the legs, I dropped them 1/2" to level the first two sections. Put a straight 2"/4" over entire bed and now all sections are level.

A bonus to spacing the rear section 3/4" higher was that the rear couch section has more slant to it nearly touching the wall when being used as a couch........more comfortable to sit in !

Click image for larger version.   Name:	20150624_101808.jpg  Views:	365  Size:	97.4 KB  ID:	2620Click image for larger version.   Name:	20150624_103504.jpg  Views:	351  Size:	71.9 KB  ID:	2621Click image for larger version.   Name:	20150623_083632.jpg  Views:	348  Size:	94.4 KB  ID:	2622

Forgot to add that the picture with level was taken before I leveled the rear section......if you look closely you can see the 3/4' dip at the rear next to the wall that no longer exists with adding the spacers noted above.
                  Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.   Name:	20150623_102558.jpg  Views:	330  Size:	86.1 KB  ID:	2623
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Thanks Dan and Jim,

I was in the rig this afternoon and pulled the legs and adjusted them. Adjustment will not allow for a perfect level condition to the floor where it is flat, but overall its on a slight incline toward the isle. The wall side would need to be shimmed on mine as well. At some time I will get back to this where its much better for now.

Jim

Comment

I could get the couch level when configured as a bed or as a couch, but not both.

Anticipating the question, the camper is level.

As it came from the factory the couch is perfect (as a couch).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Couch.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	9409

The basic issue is that when folded out as a bed, what I'm going to call "sections" all have different angles. Section 3 also has more foam than 1 or 2, so even if all three were level there'd still be a gap due to the foam difference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sections1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	9407

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sections2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	9408

I got sections 1 and 2 level by raising the metal frame that the back folds down on (section 1). I removed the extra piece of foam shown in the picture above in 2, and with another layer of foam over both sections 1 & 2 I could get them even with 3. Unfortunately leveling 1 & 2 drove 3 slightly off angle (tilted down, or away) as 3 started level. (I couldn't change the angle where 2 & 3 meet--it's like trying to bend a knee in the wrong direction--doesn't work due to way it articulates.) The net affect was when the bed was level, when re-configured as a couch the cushions were tilted forward so much I literally slid forward off the cushion.

Raising the feet at the back of the couch wasn't an option because by doing so when I ended up with the same problem--I slid forward on the cushions when configured as a couch. Raising the back also didn't address the multiple angle problems with the sections.

Cutting of a portion of the legs on section 3 wasn't an option because, again, the angle between 2 and 3 is locked. If I'd cut the legs instead of sitting flush with the floor the legs would only touch at the front edge. (Hard to explain with words.) I still had the wrong angle in section 1 to deal with, too, but I couldn't raise the back of the frame up or, once again, I ended up sliding off the couch.

Adjusting the cushion on section 3 wasn't an option, either, as it is stapled and welded together to the frame.

In the end the only option I could think of was building a folding plywood base with wedges on top of section 2 and 1 to level them out and then put foam on top of them. The DW just looked at me and said, "Forget it--this is ridiculous. You shouldn't have to do that."

Need I write it? Exceptionally poor construction and design. GD should insist Lippert fix this design or find another supplier for furniture.

Bottom line--I gave up and I'm not going to try and use the couch as a bed. When the furniture's material (inevitably?) deteriorates I'll buy a fold-out couch that actually works. In the meantime if a bed is needed it's a blowup mattress on the floor in front of the fireplace.
                      Last edited by howson; 12-19-2019, 10:19 AM. Reason: Removed my tongue-in-cheek comments directed at the curse filter...
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Unfortunately, we have to use the fold out couch - my 11 year old son sleeps on it. He started to complain about it during our week long Thanksgiving trip. I didn't really look at it hard yet but my support legs - under section three in the photos above are also the U shaped supports. I thought about raising the back section but didn't think of how it might affect sitting in it configured as a couch. I'm not sure how to fix this. It might be nice if someone from GD could chime in on this thread. Agree that this setup is horrible. I would not be able to sleep on it as is.

Comment

FatTire,

Dan's post #9 illustrates how to fix this issue. You can raise the legs which will make the bed flat but this will result in the bed being pitched toward the outer wall. The floor mount will then need to be shimmed up to level the entire bed.

Jim

Comment

Another way to come at this is to lift the entire couch by putting it on four corner blocks about 1" tall. This gives the added benefit of a little more under couch storage. It does raise the seating surface slightly above normal which might be uncomfortable for those with shorter legs.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

FatTire,

Dan's post #9 illustrates how to fix this issue. You can raise the legs which will make the bed flat but this will result in the bed being pitched toward the outer wall. The floor mount will then need to be shimmed up to level the entire bed.

Jim
                              When unfolded, the section under the legs is higher than the section closest to the wall where your head would usually rest which means your feet are elevated. I can't see how raising the legs would solve the issue. I really don't understand what was done in post #9 as it doesn't give a procedure - I guess it is elsewhere, and I can't make the pictures larger. I guess I'll either look for the original post or try blocking the entire back section to raise it. Post #11 is exactly the issue with my sofa, but I am not able to just throw in the towel and not use it. Whoever designed this setup should be made to sleep on it for at least a month.

Comment

Working...
                              X