Sliding/Barn Door alternative improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding/Barn Door alternative improvements

David C. howson Country Campers ckreef Cate&Rob This is not actually a new thread but a followup to an older one that has not seen much action for a while so I thought I would revive it as somewhat new. Like many our 2021 Imagine 2600RB has the sliding barn doors in the bedroom and bath. Like others we have had some issues with guides, stop screws and restraints and rollers. As background we towed our new rig 50 miles from the dealer to our home, when we got to our driveway we heard terrible banging coming from inside the unit. Once parked we looked inside to find the bedroom door had broken the bottom guide, was swinging on the elastic restraint and had broken the stop screw and three of the four rollers were just hanging loose. At the point I looked through the various threads and found several great ways to improve the setup to include the new bottom guide/roller by DavidC and wine corks by ckreef.

Not being content with the elastic and plastic restraints I searched the hardware store and found a 4 inch sliding latch that I used as a hold open restraint, as set up with tension on the stop corks the doors are held firmly in place, it works great. I would also like to point out that when I was repairing the bedroom door I discovered that 3 of the 4 latches that hold the door rollers in place to the pins were not closed all the way and two of them were open and had allowed the roller to come free from the door. I then checked the bathroom door and all 4 of the latches were not closed and 1 was disconnected. I believe this contributed to the door issues. I still use the elastic restraint as back-up to the new sliding bolt latch.

I would like to thank DavidC and ckreef for their ideas that really helped. I have included 3 pics which show all three improvements in one place so there is no searching the older threads for other pics. Only the sliding latch is my idea. Hope this helps others. David

P.S. having trouble with the pics, I will add them when i figure it out.
    Last edited by howson; 04-05-2021, 07:21 PM.
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

flyfshrockies
    Hi David,

Thanks for the follow-up and a great "combined ideas" solution. This is what this forum is all about!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Darn these pics. I guess I need some tutoring or practice.
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Some very creative ideas. I also have the screw for the door stop.

Can you post where you sourced the guide roller? It looks far more robust than whats originally installed.

I use slide locks at the floor to keep the doors from coming loose should we forget to latch the flimsy plastic strap, or if it should break. The slide locks may also come in handy if I need them on the Schwintek slide.

Jim

Comment

Guest David C. I do not know how to post a link and am computer deficient/illeterate. The earlier posts from David C had a link for the door roller, it came from amazon at any rate. The wine cork was a willing volunteer and the sliding bolt latch from Ace Hardware. These three items really correct the issue once and for all. GD would be well served to incorporate these changes into new production. The Barn Doors really open up the interior and make the units feel bigger and more useable than old style doors that often get in the way. Dave

Comment

-- the Imagine Team would do well to implement the improvement as documented in this thread.

-Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              -- the Imagine Team would do well to implement the improvement as documented in this thread.

-Howard
              Thanks for the tag! I will pass the information along.

Comment

Good followup thread.
                Charles and Susan
                2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                Andersen Hitch
                2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                  Guest David C. I do not know how to post a link and am computer deficient/illeterate. The earlier posts from David C had a link for the door roller, it came from amazon at any rate. The wine cork was a willing volunteer and the sliding bolt latch from Ace Hardware. These three items really correct the issue once and for all. GD would be well served to incorporate these changes into new production. The Barn Doors really open up the interior and make the units feel bigger and more useable than old style doors that often get in the way. Dave
                  For anyone looking for these guide rollers, I located them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/CCJH-Upgrade-Sliding-Bottom-Adjustable/dp/B07CMB6GH6/ref=pd_sbs_5?pd_rd_w=E0x0t&pf_rd_p=2419a049-62bf-452e-b0d0-ca5b7e35a7b4&pf_rd_r=Y55PFGXBPAQMX6YDD9R1&pd_rd_r= 19dacd91-b694-4cda-b8d7-b053f78cf924&pd_rd_wg=rlXMo&pd_rd_i=B07CMB6GH6&psc =1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xnip2021-04-05_11-57-59.jpg
Views:	1330
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	49140
                  Jeff and Debbie
                  2021 Imagine 2250RK
                  2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                  USMC Veteran

Comment

Heavysledz Thanks for posting that link for he barn door guide. I am still trying to get the hang of posting a link, that product really worked for us and it seems to be of good quality. We recently took our 2600RB for a cruise to test brakes and the barn door mods, our roads are a bit suspect after the freeze/thaw that takes place n our area and the door mods ( all three ) did great over a hundred mile test run.

Thanks
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                      Heavysledz Thanks for posting that link for he barn door guide. I am still trying to get the hang of posting a link, that product really worked for us and it seems to be of good quality. We recently took our 2600RB for a cruise to test brakes and the barn door mods, our roads are a bit suspect after the freeze/thaw that takes place n our area and the door mods ( all three ) did great over a hundred mile test run.

Thanks
                      Dave
                      Thanks Dave....not a problem at all. I have learned countless upgrades/fixes from the forums and want to do my part in returning the favor when I can.
                      Jeff and Debbie
                      2021 Imagine 2250RK
                      2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                      USMC Veteran

Comment

Thank you Dave,

Will add this to the list.

Jim

Comment

flyfshrockies curious if you had damage from the broken barn doors and if Grand Design covered repairs under warranty? We have some major damage - first week long trip.
                          Nancy & Tim Pistole
                          2022 Imagine 2670MK
                          Shawnee, Kansas

Comment

I give RAVE Review of the barn door roller guide.
                            https://www.amazon.com/CCJH-Upgrade-Sliding-Bottom-Adjustable/dp/B07CMB6GH6/ref=pd_sbs_5?pd_rd_w=E0x0t&pf_rd_p=2419a049-62bf-452e-b0d0-ca5b7e35a7b4&pf_rd_r=Y55PFGXBPAQMX6YDD9R1&pd_rd_r= 19dacd91-b694-4cda-b8d7-b053f78cf924&pd_rd_wg=rlXMo&pd_rd_i=B07CMB6GH6&psc =1

This product should be STOCK on units coming from factory. I understand it may cost more but this is substantially better quality and security. Just my thoughts.
                            2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
                            2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Comment

NancyJo I made the repairs and upgrades. it was an easy fix and project, just a little time. I never even mentioned it to GD, so do not know what their response may have been.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X