Planning for emergencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for emergencies

Cate&Rob & TucsonJim do you have any suggestions about preparing for emergencies in the trailer? I have a hunch that the single small fire extinguisher by the door isn't quite enough preparation.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
    Cate&Rob & TucsonJim do you have any suggestions about preparing for emergencies in the trailer? I have a hunch that the single small fire extinguisher by the door isn't quite enough preparation.
    I'm going to attach the presentation materials I use when discussing this topic at the rallies. Understand that I supplement the charts with my discussion, but it will give you the basic idea. By all means, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Jim

Disaster Planning (1).pdf
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have added a large fire extinguisher beside the bed on the floor. I did not mount it , it stays there nicely when traveling. I did this in case of a fire at night, one may not be able to get to the small one by the door. Hopefully it will never be used but if I have to I hope it will get us to the door and out to safety. Will be getting another one for beside the recliners for the same reason.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I have added a large fire extinguisher beside the bed on the floor. ...I hope it will get us to the door and out to safety.
        Brian
        We have a large one in the bedroom, too.

But I think most folks (me included) are not really confronting the risks of fire in an RV. If it were to happen while we're sleeping at night, it would probably be out of control before the fire extinguisher would be of much use. Consider what these RV's are made of. We have considered this, then we started contemplating escape thru the window. Really? Look at that window and really try to imagine your partner, then after her/his escape, your making it out without being part of the flames. Bad odds. And if the fire doesn't kill you, think about the fall. Have you seen how high that window gets off the ground -- especially when the site isn't level.

I did see a video about first opening the window, then placing the bed spread on the sill, then making sure you exit feet first. The guy also talked about having a ready-sack containing credit cards and underwear that you could toss out the window first. There are probably lots of other things you'd wish for if you actually made it out. . .

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
        Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
          Hi Mark,

I also have a fire extinguisher under my side of the bed. Plus one in the curb side propane locker and one in the bed of the truck. (the last two are always "unlocked" locations)

We keep a "go bag" in the truck with key documents, meds and other essentials. We also keep copies of key documents in the RV . . . in case the truck should be the thing we lose.

I am also of the opinion that getting out that "emergency" bedroom window would be an absolute last resort. (See Jim's attachment to post 2). The best plan is to get pets and people out the main door.

Our approach is to do everything that we can to assist with early warning. For this, I have placed additional smoke/heat alarms in the area behind the fridge, above to the water heater & furnace, in the underbelly storage area and in the front storage compartment.

Rob

Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X