No announcement yet.

Element Fire Extinquishers (Installed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Element Fire Extinquishers (Installed)

Not too exciting--but thought someone might be interested.

WHY???
    First question is always, why?

The previous extinguishers have a six-month "inspection" cycle (look at the gauge?) and I'd anecdotally read somewhere that the material inside can compact over time when bounced in a vehicle, especially since they are stored vertically. When I spotted the Element, I started thinking (always bad for my wallet). No maintenance, lasts forever, lighter, and provides (according to Element) 5x the discharge time of a "typical traditional fire extinguisher". They are rated for A, B, C and K fires, so should take care of anything (small) in the camper.

Don't misunderstand--first priority is get out if something happens, but I want the ability to suppress or stop a small fire before it consumes my trailer if that's a possibility.

Extinguishers are not very exciting until you need one right now. Maybe TucsonJim , if he hasn't already, will share his story here and the safety brief he developed as a result. (The large extinguishers I installed were a result of his original thread posted elsewhere years ago.)

The Element is stupid-expensive...but again, if I ever need it the last thing I'll be thinking about is how much I paid for them. https://elementfire.com/

The Mod
    As previously mentioned, I'd installed two 9lb Fire Extinguishers in my 315RLTS, one in the bedroom behind the door and one just inside the entryway, replacing the small OEM supplied extinguisher. (I put the OEM in the passthru.) Besides the superior fire suppression capability of the Element, there's the secondary benefit of weight savings. With the wall mount and hardware, the large extinguisher weighed in at over 9lbs 3 ounces. That's over 18lbs for the two of them. The Element, with mount, is only 8.1 oz!

I used Element's optional Quick Fist (QF) HD Mount instead of the supplied clip to ensure the Element stays in place. In the entryway I used both the QF and the clip for additional security in the high-traffic location.

The QF's are tight around the Element. Not easy to get together to retain the extinguisher, but will release with a sharp pull relatively easily. The clasping aspect is why I chose to get them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Quick Fist.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	48017

Bedroom (Before and After)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bedroom.JPG Views:	0 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	48018

The instruction sheet was cut from the box and stuck to the wall with quick-release tape. There's instructions on the Element itself, but the extra-large and simple diagram on the box was worth saving and posting next to the extinguisher.

Entryway (No before shot!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Entryway.JPG Views:	0 Size:	182.2 KB ID:	48019

Passthru

As previously mentioned, I had remounted the OEM supplied extinguisher in the curb-side of the passthru. I replaced it with a 100 second version of the Element under the assumption that if I need to grab an extinguisher this is where I'll get it from. As the middle picture shows, it is larger than the standard 50 second version.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Passthru.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	48020

As I noted in the truck Element install thread, these are like insurance: I hope to never need to use them but will be glad if I do (need them).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

I've been looking at these too. I'm a big fan of fire extinguishers. I have a huge clean agent one in my garage. Stupid expensive is right. But another thing I like is all of the additional mounting options you have simply because they are small/light. Also, if you do happen to use one, it's disposable. You don't ever have to try to figure out how/where to get one recharged.

Did you see the carbon fiber mount? Yeah it's nice but $179.00 wow.
    2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

Here is an explanation in how they create potassium of nitrogen to extinguish a fire. Very nice.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/30...67154874779486

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I like it. When the dust settles from buying all the fun stuff for our 260RB those will be at the top of the list.

Thank you.
        John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
        2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
        ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
        2017 Jayco 26BH
        2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

This reminds me of the Cardox systems that were in test cells at work. Had 20 seconds to get out since all oxygen would be consumed if the system activated. These extinguishers look like a great option to help getting out safely. We never practiced escaping out the bedroom window and bet it would not be an easy task. Or even comical.
          One of these in the bedroom would be the best bet to get to the door.

Jim

Comment

I've been looking for a non messy solution. Just ordered three. Did you hear my wallet screaming? Thanks for posting this! I had a fire under the hood of a car once. What a corrosive mess that turned out to be.
            Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
            TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
              I've been looking for a non messy solution. Just ordered three. Did you hear my wallet screaming? Thanks for posting this! I had a fire under the hood of a car once. What a corrosive mess that turned out to be.
              Howard is the best sales guy I know.

I will buy them as well.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
                My DW hasn't seen the bill (yet)...as for my wallet, it is still
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Howard is the best sales guy I know.

I will buy them as well.

Jim
                  Yup - Howard is more than willing to help turn your $50K RV into a $100K RV is short order. And yes, while he is extremely helpful and knowledgeable, many of our CFOs (DWs) are not too happy with this never ending list of expenditures !

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
                    I like it. When the dust settles from buying all the fun stuff for our 260RB those will be at the top of the list.

Thank you.
                    You might be out of money by then...lol

I've been looking at these extinguishers for a little while now. Price has kept me on the fence so far. The seem to be $110 bucks a piece in Canada.
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Thanks for the head's up Howard. I just ordered two of them. I don't think these are all that expensive but then I've been spending some decent money recently with my solar project so a couple hundred bucks is chump change by comparison.
                      Brian & Kellie
                      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Extinguishers are not very exciting until you need one right now. Maybe TucsonJim , if he hasn't already, will share his story here and the safety brief he developed as a result. (The large extinguishers I installed were a result of his original thread posted elsewhere years ago.)
                        I'm always glad to share my experience with others in order that they get prepared BEFORE a major incident. Our tow vehicle developed a fuel leak in August of 2016. The fuel ignited while driving at 60 mph and the fire raced through the truck and into the fifth wheel. We were able to get stopped in time and exited the vehicle with a few seconds to spare. The only fire suppression I had was the puny little extinguisher that came with the RV. In addition, some construction workers tried to extinguish the fire with CO2 extinguishers, but they don't work well on a fuel fire. The end result was a total loss of the truck and fifth wheel.

Now, I carry two five pound dry chemical extinguishers at all times. But the best advice I can give is that if it catches on fire, don't jeopardize your health and safety. Get the people and pets out, and settle with your insurance company later on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Close Up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	48656

Click image for larger version  Name:	Corrected.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.4 KB ID:	48657Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0522 - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	233.0 KB ID:	48658
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

That'll buff out....
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I'm always glad to share my experience with others in order that they get prepared BEFORE a major incident. Our tow vehicle developed a fuel leak in August of 2016. The fuel ignited while driving at 60 mph and the fire raced through the truck and into the fifth wheel. We were able to get stopped in time and exited the vehicle with a few seconds to spare. The only fire suppression I had was the puny little extinguisher that came with the RV. In addition, some construction workers tried to extinguish the fire with CO2 extinguishers, but they don't work well on a fuel fire. The end result was a total loss of the truck and fifth wheel.

Now, I carry two five pound dry chemical extinguishers at all times. But the best advice I can give is that if it catches on fire, don't jeopardize your health and safety. Get the people and pets out, and settle with your insurance company later on.

Click image for larger version Name:	Close Up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	48656

Click image for larger version Name:	Corrected.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.4 KB ID:	48657Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0522 - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	233.0 KB ID:	48658
                            This really drives the point where most all of us (and I) only have the puny extinguisher in the RV. I need to put some fire extinguishers at the top of my list.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                              That'll buff out....
                              At the time, I was very upset. The fire chief said the same thing and I started laughing. He sure lightened the mood.
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X