No announcement yet.

Storage Pest Control - What do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage Pest Control - What do you do?

Was over at the new storage location and as I was inside unit I noticed some small ants roaming around. No infestation by any means but certainly unwanted visitors. We are about to start our season with first trip booked 3rd week of April (we just bought the new TT and had to scramble to get some reservations!) and don't want to have a pest problem. I am going to spray around the contact points later today or tomorrow work dependent but I wanted to know what the group does about pest management during off season/storage.

The rig has NO food in it right now (Just the new camper smell) and we do not plan on keeping any real "food" in the rig while stored (just spices, cleaning supplies and maybe some basic canned goods for reserve)

I use Terro Liquid ant bait at our home when we have ants in the spring but what does everyone else use with their rig to control pests of all kinds!

Thanks everyone.
    2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
    2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Originally posted by GrandDeal3 View Post
    0 ...but I wanted to know what the group does about pest management during off season/storage.

...I use Terro Liquid ant bait at our home when we have ants in the spring but what does everyone else use with their rig to control pests of all kinds!

Thanks everyone.
    This is a really good question. My storage is "indoor" but it is certainly not pest proof. I treat the area with "Home Defense" and I keep a couple of rat/mouse poison containers in strategic locations. My wife's cousin recommended a product called "Mouse Free" https://mouse-free.com/ I have not yet tried it so any feedback will be welcome. We do not keep any food in the RV either. So far we have not had any issues with pests.

Bob
    Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

So I picked up something ilke crazy ants on the back wall of a previous unit. The only thing that gets rid of them is actually a termite treatment. https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-...1-_Desktop-970 It also drives away other insects, but not all. I don't think there truly is a 1 product treatment. Spray all contact points to ground and if plugged in the entire power cord. Insects have an unusual knack for finding the chink in any defense system. I spray, wait a couple of hours, spray again, wait a few hours and spray again. Up and down the stabilizer jacks also. Just in case I don't get the full support block or they find a way up through the center of it.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        So I picked up something ilke crazy ants on the back wall of a previous unit. The only thing that gets rid of them is actually a termite treatment. https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-...1-_Desktop-970 It also drives away other insects, but not all. I don't think there truly is a 1 product treatment. Spray all contact points to ground and if plugged in the entire power cord. Insects have an unusual knack for finding the chink in any defense system. I spray, wait a couple of hours, spray again, wait a few hours and spray again. Up and down the stabilizer jacks also. Just in case I don't get the full support block or they find a way up through the center of it.

Yeah, there is never a 1 and done solution. I will use the same stuff I use for my personal home and get out the pump sprayer later this week. My kids were in the rig the other day and just kept 'finding' ants hahaha. We are excited to get it out on her maiden voyage but don't want to take a mobile ant farm haha.
        2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things

Comment

I went over the underside of our rig with a can of expandable foam to fill gaps that were present from construction. We keep no food in the rig and store with the fridge doors open. Keep minimal contact points to the ground, so the level jacks are retracted, no items are stored under the rig or leaning against the rig to function as a critter ramp.

The DW distributes dryer sheets inside for winter storage and honestly I have no idea if they work as a deterrent but after several inspections through the winter and after 5 winters, I've seen no trace of critters or insects.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

The DW distributes dryer sheets inside for winter storage and honestly I have no idea if they work as a deterrent but after several inspections through the winter and after 5 winters, I've seen no trace of critters or insects.

Jim[/QUOTE]

So just placing dryer sheets in strategic locations? Interesting. Also, you have had no issues with storing with no stabilizers down? The location I am storing at is a little unlevel and I thought having them down would help with overall storage procedure.

Comment

Jim
              So just placing dryer sheets in strategic locations? Interesting. Also, you have had no issues with storing with no stabilizers down? The location I am storing at is a little unlevel and I thought having them down would help with overall storage procedure. [/QUOTE]

She throws them all over the floor. Lol. Yeah I leave the stabilizers up. You can add blocks under one side to level out where its best to have minimal contact with the ground IMO. Four tires and the front jack is all that touches the ground on my Imagine, unless I'm camping.

Jim

Comment

I keep mine in the driveway, right now its opened up like camping in case we decide to go sit outside and rough it in the evenings watching air channels. Also since I'm in the process of Rob and Howard updating a few things before its maiden voyage it needs to be stretched.

Not to mention the 40 MPH winds we get through here at times.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Guest When I head to the storage spot Ill run them up and just spray the 5 pts of contact instead of 9!! I might toss some dryer sheets in as well haha. Can never hurt!

Jlawles2 I would love to keep mine in the driveway but the HOA might send me a polite letter haha

Comment

GrandDeal3 HOA, what's that. This little town barely has a mayor. I also put my trailer on https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t-x--frac12-in cut into 12" X 12" blocks (need to make them bigger) to help keep the tires off the concrete where they can suck up moisture and have chord issues.

We're getting big time, they just put new bulbs in the caution light at the center of town.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Guest When I head to the storage spot Ill run them up and just spray the 5 pts of contact instead of 9!! I might toss some dryer sheets in as well haha. Can never hurt!

Jlawles2 I would love to keep mine in the driveway but the HOA might send me a polite letter haha
                      I can keep mine at home. Daughter and Son-In-Law are in an HOA and just one day late of putting their rig in storage and the camper police are all over them. But its also a very nice area.

Jim

Comment

Brother lived in an area with HOA rules like that, you had X days before you took it out for loading and Y days when you got back. It might be a pain, but hook to it, pull it to the grocery store, come back and see if they will restart the clock..
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

My last neighborhood was like that and when we finally moved, we made it a priority to have an RV garage on our house. We found the perfect neighborhood where every house has at least on RV garage bay on their home... our RV bay is 85ft deep and has plenty of room for my Imagine 2250RK as well as out truck camper with room for a shop in the back...
                          Attached Files
                          Jeff and Debbie
                          2021 Imagine 2250RK
                          2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                          USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Heavysledz View Post
                            My last neighborhood was like that and when we finally moved, we made it a priority to have an RV garage on our house. We found the perfect neighborhood where every house has at least on RV garage bay on their home... our RV bay is 85ft deep and has plenty of room for my Imagine 2250RK as well as out truck camper with room for a shop in the back...
                            Now I am jealous my little garage is only 34 wide and 44 deep , 85 feet deep would be awesome , if it was a pull thru that would even be better.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20191110_100747.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	49400

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Now I am jealous my little garage is only 34 wide and 44 deep , 85 feet deep would be awesome , if it was a pull thru that would even be better.

Name:	20191110_100747.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	49400

Brian
                              That would be awesome but no pull thru option as we back up to a lake...

Name:	IMG_1892 copy.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	49420
                              Jeff and Debbie
                              2021 Imagine 2250RK
                              2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                              USMC Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X