303 Kitchen open to basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 303 Kitchen open to basement

Specific to 303 owners I think. After I had removed the basement wall to check things out behind it, I noticed I could see into the living area of the trailer. Doesn't seem correct to me. First thing that came to mind was a mouse highway....
    When you first go in the door into the trailer there is a counter that goes crossways across the coach. It is in the toe-kick area of this cupboard that the opening exists.
    Is this correct or is there a piece missing? See attached pics.
    Pretty sure I'm going to block it off but was wondering if there was a reason for the opening that I cannot think of.

Attached Files
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

First thought is furnace air return. If there is a obvious air return somewhere else, then I'm at a lost.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      Specific to 303 owners I think. After I had removed the basement wall to check things out behind it, I noticed I could see into the living area of the trailer. Doesn't seem correct to me. First thing that came to mind was a mouse highway....
      When you first go in the door into the trailer there is a counter that goes crossways across the coach. It is in the toe-kick area of this cupboard that the opening exists.
      Is this correct or is there a piece missing? See attached pics.
      Pretty sure I'm going to block it off but was wondering if there was a reason for the opening that I cannot think of.
      Several GDRV models have this build/design.....nothing missing and this way since inception nearly a decade ago. This is the cold air return along with the vent behind the toilet for the furnace. Yes, some folks have expressed concern about a potential critter highway and added some sort of a screen. One just does not want to block off these vent areas thus starving the furnace cold air return function resulting in potential overheating or worse.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Ok. Thanks. Instead of thin 1/8 trim plywood, I'll use window screen.

Oh, and from looking at the wiring in the basement, wiring practices are still the same from 25 years ago. Functional...but very messy.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. Instead of thin 1/8 trim plywood, I'll use window screen.

Oh, and from looking at the wiring in the basement, wiring practices are still the same from 25 years ago. Functional...but very messy.
          Yea, the wiring "rats nest" has been a topic of great consternation for especially our Engineering friends since GDRV inception. If I had a dime for every post on this over the last going on 8 seasons, I could buy Amazon - lol !

By the way as long as we are talking the cold air return openings, not leaving the basement compartment doors open during the summer when the AC is running will prevent all the cold air (it sinks) to drop through these openings into the basement and out into the great outdoors. Folks who leave the basement and other compartment doors open wonder why their AC(s) runs "forever" and the RV seems to not be cooling off.

The same condition applies to the cold air "dropping" through the furnace heat vents into the basement furnace unit but to a lesser degree. Thus covering these openings during AC(s) operation will help cooling performance and reduce AC usage and not cool the basement.

Dan
          Dan & Carol

Comment

Hmmm. Good to know.

Comment

Don't look behind the toilet if you are concerned on the opening under the toe of the hutch cabinet. There is a grill grate there that looks straight down to the same opening as the toe.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Yea, the wiring "rats nest" has been a topic of great consternation for especially our Engineering friends since GDRV inception. If I had a dime for every post on this over the last going on 8 seasons, I could buy Amazon - lol !

By the way as long as we are talking the cold air return openings, not leaving the basement compartment doors open during the summer when the AC is running will prevent all the cold air (it sinks) to drop through these openings into the basement and out into the great outdoors. Folks who leave the basement and other compartment doors open wonder why their AC(s) runs "forever" and the RV seems to not be cooling off.

The same condition applies to the cold air "dropping" through the furnace heat vents into the basement furnace unit but to a lesser degree. Thus covering these openings during AC(s) operation will help cooling performance and reduce AC usage and not cool the basement.

Dan
                I just discovered some of the wiring rats nest in my unit was actually slack in the cables so the distribution panel could be pulled out. Strange what you find when you take things apart.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I just discovered some of the wiring rats nest in my unit was actually slack in the cables so the distribution panel could be pulled out. Strange what you find when you take things apart.
                  I'm willing to bet that is a by-product, not really intent....

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Don't look behind the toilet if you are concerned on the opening under the toe of the hutch cabinet. There is a grill grate there that looks straight down to the same opening as the toe.
                    Ok...lol
                    A little more screen and we'll be good...

Comment

I'm willing to bet that is a by-product, not really intent....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0544s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	53075

I think it was intent. Note the folded wire bundle behind the distribution panel so it could be fully pulled away from the wall. Sure makes it easy for some modifications. I am in the process of disconnecting the stock Converter and re-wiring the 120V feeds through my new MultiPlus. From the pass through side it looked impassible.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0533s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.8 KB ID:	53076 Initial view through pass through.

I will agree the rest is a bit untidy. But I can get to what I need.
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Dan
                        The reverse is true about running your Maxx Air exhaust fan. It will suck air from that space and you will get much cooler air coming thru during the winter. Until the air fryer, I didn't do much cooking, so I'm about to find out what happens in the summer. Also, if the back of your fake fireplace is in that space, it is nearly impossible to accurately control the temp as the thermostat gets cooler air if not using the furnace, or warmer air with the furnace heating the water lines.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post

The reverse is true about running your Maxx Air exhaust fan. It will suck air from that space and you will get much cooler air coming thru during the winter. Until the air fryer, I didn't do much cooking, so I'm about to find out what happens in the summer. Also, if the back of your fake fireplace is in that space, it is nearly impossible to accurately control the temp as the thermostat gets cooler air if not using the furnace, or warmer air with the furnace heating the water lines.
                          Jerry - thanks, for sharing this......good point ! We don't have a MA fan now but will keep this in mind in the future. Makes perfect sense.

Dan
                          Dan & Carol

Comment

Working...
                          X