Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller shade clanking

Hi All,
    Hopefully this is not a repeat. I searched the modifications spreadsheet and general search and found nothing.

Does anyone have a solution for the roller shades "clanking" against the window frame when the windows are open and shades are down a bit? EX: I had my exit window in the BR open last night for some cooling but it was breezy so the shade kept hitting the frame and making a very irritating clunk/clank. My thought is to find a small round piece of foam or rubber donut and place around the end of the bottom tube to keep the tube from hitting the frame but thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions before I try to invent something. Pic attached of where I'm thinking of attaching the small piece of foam.

Thanks for your thoughts
    Terry
    Click image for larger version

Name:	shades_sm.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	56493
    Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
    2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Maybe a short piece of a pool noodle or pipe insulation foam tube.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Small pieces of foam weather stripping on the lower tube worked for us.
      Mike & Sonya
      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
      Blue Ox SwayPro
      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

An o-ring might do the trick, or a small felt sticky pad.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'm guessing you are hearing the bar against the window frame. I pull mine down a bit farther so this does not happen.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Yep, it is the bar hitting the frame but I can't pull it down past cause we want some gap for airflow with the window open.

I tried what I have on hand which is a rubber garden hose washer over the nub on the end of the rod. That is almost perfect cep the washer is just not large enough OD so still hits a bit. But the ID of 5/8 was perfect to fit over the rod tip.

I will see if I can find something a little larger OD or just some foam weather strip on the back side like NoPeeking suggested.

Thanks
            ​​​​​​​Terry

Comment

One more idea. Adhesive backed foam strip stuck to the window frame.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post
                Hi All,
                Hopefully this is not a repeat. I searched the modifications spreadsheet and general search and found nothing.

Does anyone have a solution for the roller shades "clanking" against the window frame when the windows are open and shades are down a bit? EX: I had my exit window in the BR open last night for some cooling but it was breezy so the shade kept hitting the frame and making a very irritating clunk/clank. My thought is to find a small round piece of foam or rubber donut and place around the end of the bottom tube to keep the tube from hitting the frame but thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions before I try to invent something. Pic attached of where I'm thinking of attaching the small piece of foam.

Thanks for your thoughts
                Terry
                We use the felt pads with the sticky back. Put them on the bottom rail of the shade so the are lined up with the metal window frame. This also eliminates the clanking when the shades are all the way down and someone is waking around the trailer.
                Mike & Lisa
                Central Florida
                2021 Imagine 2970RL
                1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

We use the felt pads with the sticky back. Put them on the bottom rail of the shade so the are lined up with the metal window frame. This also eliminates the clanking when the shades are all the way down and someone is waking around the trailer.
                  Yep, this is what we do too. Buy the dark brown small round felt sticky pads at your fav hardware store. Usually found in the section with furniture pads. Position them on the back left and right of each roller rod where it contacts the window frame. No more clanking, but a soft thumping instead.
                  John & Susan
                  2019 Ford F-250 CCSB
                  2022 Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

Originally posted by jpcarro11 View Post

Yep, this is what we do too. Buy the dark brown small round felt sticky pads at your fav hardware store. Usually found in the section with furniture pads. Position them on the back left and right of each roller rod where it contacts the window frame. No more clanking, but a soft thumping instead.
                    Thanks to everyone. It's been low on my to-do list but I'm going to try some of the options mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                    X