squeaky floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeaky floors

Hello, Just picked up my new Transcend 240ml and the floors squeak like there is no tomorrow, and it is from the front of the trailer to the rear, right down the center. Just waiting to see what Grand Design will recommend. Anyone else have this issue?

Hey ther Paul, I have the same issue but in the bathrrom only so far with our 29rs reflection. One time I mentioned it at the dealer and we kind of narrowed it down to the vinyl under the front edge or the bathroom cabinet. I believe sprayed a non sticky (like silicone) along hte edge and it stopped fro a while. I thnk the front edge was floating and rubbing on the vinyl. LOL As soon as I wrote this I thought "why not try to screw the front of the cabinet (on the inside) to the floor better...hmmmsoemthing to try).
    That does not answer how to stop the shower unit from squeaking though. I have not but I will try some silicone there.
    If you get any other clues please let me know...thanks.

Comment

This might not be the answer in all cases, but it was in ours. When the floor was nailed down using a compressed air nailer, one of the nails missed the wood insert inside the C-channel and instead was just on the outside of the C-channel so that there was metal to metal rubbing. Took some close inspection while lying on my back to find the culprit and pull it out from the bottom.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I have had squeaky floors in the bathroom of my 303RLS since day 1. The dealer says there is nothing they can do to fix it (seems to be their canned response to many of my warranty repairs). Not at all happy with the dealer service, and this is a GD dealer. Anyway, the last time they looked at it they said it was squeaking where the fiberglass shower meets the floor (no solution though). Not sure how to fix that. In listening to the squeak, I also think it is coming from other areas too. Not sure how to fix this, but it is loud enough to wake up the wife when I get up. Any thoughts or suggestions. Is GD supposed to fix stuff like this under warranty?
        Tony G
        2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
        2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
        KTM 250XC

Comment

I believe the dealer term "theres nothing we can do to fix it" actually translates in non RV language to mean " we can fix it but we probably wont get paid for our time and effort and we dont like to lose money on repairs "
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Or the term "there's nothing we can do to fix it" means we really just don't care, go away and let us take money from someone else.

If it's in the upper bedroom area, you may be able to get in the basement, pull the wall and see if you can find where it's squeaking. If possible epoxy or some type of expanding glue shot in the offending areas may stop the noises. Might take both of you to find the offending area's.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I think we kinda said the same thing
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

My 2021 303 RLS also has the squeaky bathroom floor. I tried silicone along the floor and shower but still squeaking.

Comment

DJK

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

My 2015 (built in 2014) 303RLS has a squeaky floor in the bathroom . . . and I have discussed this directly with Grand Design on more than one occasion. 2021 . . . seven years later . . . some things apparently never change. There are several threads discussing this on this forum, but no one has come up with a verified fix. (Obviously neither has the factory).

In my opinion, this is cause by frame flex and cannot be fixed by shims or caulking on either the underside or the topside of the floor at the shower base. Why do I say this? We use a pin tripod to stabilize the front of the trailer. When the bathroom floor squeaks, I raise or lower the landing gear a very small amount to put less/more weight on the pin tripod. This flexes the front of the trailer differently and usually eliminates the bathroom floor squeak.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

has anyone tried injecting construction glue between the boards and between the board and joist to stop the squeaking, I think from the underside is best?

Comment

Just took delivery of 2022 Momentum 349M and the floor pops and creaks at the end of the bed in master. Area is above Onan. Since reading all the posts, it appears that GD is not doing anything to fix the problem. May use some HD expandable foam between floor and metal bracing on the bottom side. Hopefully someone has a better idea for a permanent fix.

Comment

ll4044 this is about the same location I found the nail that had missed the wood in the C-channel. Mine was over the batteries so easier to get my head in there and look for the culprit. I suggest a close inspection of the bottom of the floor using a mirror or I-phone camera before foaming. Remove any nails that you may find by pulling them through the floor from the bottom.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by ll4044 View Post
                          Just took delivery of 2022 Momentum 349M and the floor pops and creaks at the end of the bed in master. Area is above Onan. Since reading all the posts, it appears that GD is not doing anything to fix the problem. May use some HD expandable foam between floor and metal bracing on the bottom side. Hopefully someone has a better idea for a permanent fix.
                          Our 2021 320G built in April 2021 has also developed a significant squeak in the floor between the bed and bathroom wall. This was after several thousand miles of towing. It’s extremely annoying. While the rig was at a GD dealer for some other warranty work, I demonstrated the squeak for the service writer and he agreed it was significant. They tried twice to get GD to cover the dealers’ suggested repair of shimming the gap between the flooring and supports, but GD denied the claim saying something along the lines of it being due to the materials they use. The dealer said I can appeal to GD directly to cover squeak under warranty, but it does not sound like they would reverse their decision. The dealer offered to make their shimming repair for about $600 in labor, but I opted to hold off for now until I dig in to the problem myself. (GD did cover the Lippert stabilizing jack malfunction under warranty.)
                          Chuck & Vicki
                          2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
                          VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
                          2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Villager
                            Hi Chuck & Vicki,

Just out of curiosity . . . does the floor squeak when the RV is connected to the truck and the landing gear is lifted? If not, the squeak is caused by frame flex and shimming is not likely going to be a permanent solution. Grand Design builds the trailer sitting on the tires and the pin, so sitting on the landing gear and stabilizers flexes the frame differently.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              Villager
                              Hi Chuck & Vicki,

Just out of curiosity . . . does the floor squeak when the RV is connected to the truck and the landing gear is lifted? If not, the squeak is caused by frame flex and shimming is not likely going to be a permanent solution. Grand Design builds the trailer sitting on the tires and the pin, so sitting on the landing gear and stabilizers flexes the frame differently.

Rob
                              I will have to check that Rob to see if the the squeak is present when connect to the TV. We hear the squeak when unhooked, landing gear down / level rig and with a stabilizing tri-pod providing additional support to the pin box.
                              Chuck & Vicki
                              2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
                              VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
                              2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X