X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Villager
    Hi Chuck & Vicki,

Just out of curiosity . . . does the floor squeak when the RV is connected to the truck and the landing gear is lifted? If not, the squeak is caused by frame flex and shimming is not likely going to be a permanent solution. Grand Design builds the trailer sitting on the tires and the pin, so sitting on the landing gear and stabilizers flexes the frame differently.

Rob
    Rob - hooked the rig up to the TV today and the floor squeaks the same as with landing gear down and camper level. Does this sound like shimming will remedy the squeaky floor?
    Chuck & Vicki
    2021 Momentum 320G w/ 8,000 lb axles & disc brakes
    VIN: 573FM3822M1119697
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

I would try to get in the pass thru and have someone walk on the floor to see if I could pin point the squeaking area, you may find a pipe or something that is causing the squeak besides the floor. What I have seen in our RV is that when someone walks on the f=bathroom floor the under structure deflects down a bit , this is only very thin walled aluminum tubing, we have a few squeaks in different areas but they are too hard to confirm exactly where they are. Unless the shims are permanently installed I would think after traveling they may work themselves back out.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Villager
        Hi Chuck & Vicki,

As noted in a previous post, the floor squeak changes in my Reflection depending on whether the trailer is supported by the pin or by the landing gear. Since this is not the case with your Momentum, shimming or refastening may solve/reduce the squeaking. As Brian notes in post 17, I would think that shims would have to be secured income manner to keep them in place.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Villager I wonder if you could use copper pipe hangers and pipe insulation to hold the flooring down from the bottom with screws?? The copper pipe hangers are easy to "re shape" and the pipe insulation would act more as a constant pressure device to help hold the flooring to the tubing.

These are typically available in several sizes. Get one that is a bit shorter than the 3 sides or the same as the 3 sides of the floor support tubing.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipe-Hanger.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	70752

It may also be possible to add wooden intermediate sleepers between the AL tubing to help, unless it's the fasteners that have pulled up slightly and squeaking as the floor moves up and down.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. The squeaky area in the bedroom floor is above the front compartment where the generator and batteries reside. I need to determine exactly where and why they are squeaking to make a decision on the best fix. The dealer that proposed shimming claims they have done this type of shim repair on several different brands of RVs to eliminate squeaky floors. They said the issue is fairly common. They also say they have a way of securing the shims, but I did not ask for details on how they accomplish that or what shim material they use. I’ve got plenty of time this winter to work on the issue as well as several other maintenance items and/or upgrades we plan to make. I am optimistic I will be able to figure out a solution to address the squeaky floor. Thanks to the members of this forum for helping to spread their wealth of knowledge and experience within the GD community!
            Chuck & Vicki
            2020 Ram Laramie 3500 w/ Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel, 4 x 4, SRW, short bed, air suspension, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Villager One other interesting item that you could use would be a composite shim and polyurethane glue. Use the shim to lift the flooring from the member, spray a touch of water in there, then with a syringe or other applicator, put some polyurethane glue in the space and pull the shim back out for reuse somewhere else. Since the poly glue expands, it will fill the void and apply upward pressure just like shimming.

You will need to find one that expands. Some of the newer ones do not expand like the older ones. Also protect anything under the area as that stuff sticks very well, especially to skin.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Villager One other interesting item that you could use would be a composite shim and polyurethane glue. Use the shim to lift the flooring from the member, spray a touch of water in there, then with a syringe or other applicator, put some polyurethane glue in the space and pull the shim back out for reuse somewhere else. Since the poly glue expands, it will fill the void and apply upward pressure just like shimming.

You will need to find one that expands. Some of the newer ones do not expand like the older ones. Also protect anything under the area as that stuff sticks very well, especially to skin.
                Got some composite shims from Home Depot. Inserted 6 of them in several areas between the floor-supporting metal frame work in the front generator/battery compartment and the flooring above. (See photo). No more squeaks! Have not secured the shims or used any type of PUR adhesive to fill the gaps more permanently as of yet. I will have think about the various options. I am fortunate that the squeaky bedroom flooring was directly above the accessible compartment below!
                Chuck & Vicki

Comment

Well I have a 2020 303 RLS and it squeaks when we walk all around the center island. Seems like it's between the island and vinyl floor. Quite annoying. Anybody taken the island off. 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by kdgustaf1 View Post
                    Well I have a 2020 303 RLS and it squeaks when we walk all around the center island. Seems like it's between the island and vinyl floor. Quite annoying. Anybody taken the island off. 🤔
                    Welcome to the forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter when you get an opportunity: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Cate&Rob is a long time 303 owner (among many) whom will likely have an input for you.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

kdgustaf1

Floor squeaks around the island are not a common complaint. (Unlike floor squeaks in the bathroom which has been an ongoing situation for years ) It would be essentially impossible to get to the underside of the main floor . . . above the underbelly, above the galley grey tank and above the floor insulation. The island is screwed to the floor through an interior flange. If you were to remove the interior floor panel of the island, you would be able to access these screws. Before doing this, can you create the squeak by leaning (gently) against the island to try and isolate whether motion between the island and the floor is causing the noise?

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I was going to do a post to see if anyone had an issue with a squeaky bath deck on their 5th wheel but looks like many have, and I see now answer other than thats the way it is. Our new 2022 28BH has that issue around the corner shower since we did the PDI and was hoping that there was a solution. Appears that we better get used to it.
                        Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
                        RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
                        PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

allenrude We have a 2022 Solitude 310GK-R and it squeaks as you walk around the center island in the kitchen. Everything else is tight and noise free.
                          Brandon & Krysten
                          2022 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
                          2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 DRW, B&W Hitch

Comment

Working...
                          X