Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Closet Insulation (or the lack thereof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Closet Insulation (or the lack thereof)

In my 2019 315RLTS there is a front closet behind the front cap and above the passthru storage. I was recently parked with the nose pointed due west with no shade in hot weather. I was shocked by the amount of heat that was radiating into the camper through the closet. As the video below clearly shows, there is a huge deficiency of insulation in the front of the camper. Another project to add to the list...going to have to yank everything out from the inside and insulate, then build in new storage units. (The DW dislikes the OEM shelves anyway.)

The box outlines the area of concern. The red circles are where the temperatures shown in the video where recorded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	No Insulation.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	58455

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson
    Hi Howard,

You could expand this title to "Insulation Anywhere . . . or lack thereof" The front cap typically has 2" batt insulation and this is not particularly well fitted in production. With the centreline bed in our Reflection 303RLS and our heads only inches from the front cap, we are well aware of whatever the temperature is outside. Our entire RVs are insulated by a couple of inches of insulation in any of the walls and maybe 4" in the roof. The only way that we can make this work is by overpowering this minimal insulation with excessive heating or cooling capacity. This requires good air circulation. In the situation that you describe, rather than try to add insulation into a space that doesn't exist, leave the closet doors open and crank up the AC.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Could the lack of airflow in there attribute to the increased temp? You're not pushing in any cool air in there to cool off the surface.
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

OffToHavasu
        Hi Curtis,

We do continue to see things through the same glasses . . . how many years have we been doing this ? .

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Well, One thing I didn't account for (even think about), but was stuck with due to property layout, is that the front cap is facing due south. It starts getting sun about 15 minutes after sunrise in the summer and the sun gets off of it about 6:30 now. I sleep days, but close the bedroom and closet doors and stay comfy. During the winter, it is in the sun from 15 after sunup until sundown. Maybe I have better insulation or it is that it is totally packed (mostly hers) with clothes. When I take my stuff out at 4:30 PM, I don't feel a big difference in the temps in or out of the closet.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            OffToHavasu
            Hi Curtis,

We do continue to see things through the same glasses . . . how many years have we been doing this ? .

Rob
            It's almost scary at this point.
            Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
            2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
            2020 Momentum 351M
            2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
            X