2018 Reflection 315RLTS - Heavy Kitchen Slide - Damage to Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Reflection 315RLTS - Heavy Kitchen Slide - Damage to Floor

We've purchased our 2018 Reflection 315RLTS brand new in mid-2017. During the first few months of ownership we noticed the linoleum floor was buckling under the slide roller that supports the refrigerator. When this happened, we took the trailer in for warranty repair work where they over extended the slide in order to access the floor to the outer edge and they glued it back down. This repair seemed okay and worked long enough to get us outside of warranty but now we have the same thing happening again and it is worse than before. The slide is so heavy that when pulled in, it has made a permanent dent in the floor that has cracked the linoleum in that spot. Also, when the slide is extended out, you can see the linoleum is crushed and beginning to tear right at the slide roller.

I am wondering whether and how this can be repaired. I'm kind of worried that any repair to this is going to look not so great but at the same time I can't just leave it this way. Otherwise, I expect eventually the linoleum tear is going to extend into the kitchen room itself, completely destroying the floor in that entire area.

Has anyone else here had to deal with this sort of damage? If so, I am curious as to how it was repaired, how it looked after repair, and what was the approximate cost for getting the repair done. If they have to replace any linoleum I wonder how they will be able to match the existing floor when doing it.

newbold1

This situation is not uncommon and has been discussed at length on this forum. The "fix" (if you want to call it that) is to lay protective strips called Slide Slickers on the main floor to protect the vinyl flooring. We have been doing this for years for both of our main slides. If you enter "slide slickers" into the search tool in the upper right corner, you will find these various discussions. This is just one. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...aring-flooring

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Looks like the slide slickers is what I will have to try. I notice they have nubs for grabbing onto carpet to hold them in place as the slide moves in. I don't have any carpet on that slide so I am wondering if the nubs would be a problem as they'd be smashed into linoleum rather than carpet. Seems like that might not be a good thing. I assume there are probably different styles of these though so I suppose I will need to do some investigating. Meanwhile, I'm going to see what can be done to repair the damage that has already occurred. It seems like this is a design issue where there are too few rollers or the rollers are too narrow and too much weight is being concentrated onto small areas of the floor. Aside from the linoleum getting damaged the entire floor itself is being dented in and compressed down. In any case, looks like I'll be getting some slickers.

Comment

Originally posted by newbold1 View Post
        Looks like the slide slickers is what I will have to try. I notice they have nubs for grabbing onto carpet to hold them in place as the slide moves in. I don't have any carpet on that slide so I am wondering if the nubs would be a problem as they'd be smashed into linoleum rather than carpet. Seems like that might not be a good thing. I assume there are probably different styles of these though so I suppose I will need to do some investigating. Meanwhile, I'm going to see what can be done to repair the damage that has already occurred. It seems like this is a design issue where there are too few rollers or the rollers are too narrow and too much weight is being concentrated onto small areas of the floor. Aside from the linoleum getting damaged the entire floor itself is being dented in and compressed down. In any case, looks like I'll be getting some slickers.
        My '19 315RLTS does the same thing as yours. I used a Dremel tool and removed the nubs on the slide slickers used with the kitchen slide and also the "L" at the start.

Do yourself a favor and get a set for the dinette, too. You don't need to modify that set of slickers--use as designed.

Regular use of the slickers will prevent a torn floor.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by newbold1 View Post
          We've purchased our 2018 Reflection 315RLTS brand new in mid-2017. During the first few months of ownership we noticed the linoleum floor was buckling under the slide roller that supports the refrigerator. When this happened, we took the trailer in for warranty repair work where they over extended the slide in order to access the floor to the outer edge and they glued it back down. This repair seemed okay and worked long enough to get us outside of warranty but now we have the same thing happening again and it is worse than before. The slide is so heavy that when pulled in, it has made a permanent dent in the floor that has cracked the linoleum in that spot. Also, when the slide is extended out, you can see the linoleum is crushed and beginning to tear right at the slide roller.

I am wondering whether and how this can be repaired. I'm kind of worried that any repair to this is going to look not so great but at the same time I can't just leave it this way. Otherwise, I expect eventually the linoleum tear is going to extend into the kitchen room itself, completely destroying the floor in that entire area.

Has anyone else here had to deal with this sort of damage? If so, I am curious as to how it was repaired, how it looked after repair, and what was the approximate cost for getting the repair done. If they have to replace any linoleum I wonder how they will be able to match the existing floor when doing it.

My slide is just the opposite (passengers side front portion of slide) at kitchen table and chairs. I own a 2021 G.D. Reflection 315RLTS .
          Even with camper level the slide when extended on our first camping trip, expelled rubber portions, which broke off inside and tore a 10 - 12 inch portion of floor.
          Covered by customer warranty but making appointment is aggravating. I live in southeastern Massachusetts, best I can get to view damage is after January 1st.
          If I added floor slickers, would that void warranty? Would it protect floor from future damage? See attached pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	TornFloor-MissingSlideRubber (5).jpg
Views:	421
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	60567Click image for larger version

Name:	TornFloor-MissingSlideRubber (3).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	60571Click image for larger version

Name:	TornFloor-MissingSlideRubber (4).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	60570Click image for larger version

Name:	TornFloor-MissingSlideRubber (2).jpg
Views:	336
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	60569Click image for larger version

Name:	TornFloor-MissingSlideRubber (1).jpg
Views:	319
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	60568

Comment

KEN9XL

I can't imagine how using Side Slickers could void any part of the warranty on anything. If the slide were staying above the floor (like it is supposed to) it would never touch the Slide Slicker strip. FWIW . . . my first pair of Slide Slickers was given to me by Grand Design at a Rally, as the best way to prevent possible damage to the vinyl floor.

Repairing that floor will be an interesting discussion between you and your dealer. "Replacement" would seem like the best choice until you realize that the flooring goes under everything. Every cabinet and every wall. Cutting around all these things and then trying to fit new vinyl would be a job for a very skilled installer. Repairing the cuts is likely your best option . . . but, again, this required a skilled flooring repair person. These skills seldom reside at an RV dealership.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              KEN9XL

I can't imagine how using Side Slickers could void any part of the warranty on anything. If the slide were staying above the floor (like it is supposed to) it would never touch the Slide Slicker strip. FWIW . . . my first pair of Slide Slickers was given to me by Grand Design at a Rally, as the best way to prevent possible damage to the vinyl floor.

Repairing that floor will be an interesting discussion between you and your dealer. "Replacement" would seem like the best choice until you realize that the flooring goes under everything. Every cabinet and every wall. Cutting around all these things and then trying to fit new vinyl would be a job for a very skilled installer. Repairing the cuts is likely your best option . . . but, again, this required a skilled flooring repair person. These skills seldom reside at an RV dealership.

Rob

Hm! Interesting ... you may be on to something. Probably better to hire a experienced flooring person and do as you said.
              Fit and blend a new piece in and use the slide slickers.
              My only concern, since I am still under warranty and do not wish to void anything.
              Thanks Rob

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by KEN9XL View Post

Hm! Interesting ... you may be on to something. Probably better to hire a experienced flooring person and do as you said.
                Fit and blend a new piece in and use the slide slickers.
                My only concern, since I am still under warranty and do not wish to void anything.
                Thanks Rob

Ken
                Contact Grand Design Customer Service and see if this is something that they would recommend doing at the factory Service Center , being as a dealer will probably not be able to do this. They may think this is the best course of action. They would need the RV back at the plant for a few weeks or so but you would get it back as good as new. Worth a call.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The vinyl in our family room is in 3 pieces since it is a wide room. If I hadnt seen him lay it I would have no idea where the seams were. A skilled installer will have no problem seaming it.
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Contact Grand Design Customer Service and see if this is something that they would recommend doing at the factory Service Center , being as a dealer will probably not be able to do this. They may think this is the best course of action. They would need the RV back at the plant for a few weeks or so but you would get it back as good as new. Worth a call.

Brian
                    Thank you for the response, Brian. I did call customer service to schedule. Earliest they can do is the end of October this year.
                    Did some research and found the black strip on the slide was installed at an angle. Just need to remove & reposition, but still need floor redone.

Ken

Comment

FYI - Here is some information I discovered while doing further research. Molding strip on RF side of slide out, especially interior was put on at a downward angle and the RF border tray at the corner is broken. Note comparison of the RR border tray or corner molding, fully intact.

Comment

Originally posted by KEN9XL View Post
                        FYI - Here is some information I discovered while doing further research. Molding strip on RF side of slide out, especially interior was put on at a downward angle and the RF border tray at the corner is broken. Note comparison of the RR border tray or corner molding, fully intact.
                        The slide ski is broken on the rear of my dinette slide. Beachcamper has a thread on this topic: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...llation-repair
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                        X