Happy Jack bed set screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Jack bed set screw

Hey gang was wondering which direction I need to look I remember reading a post about the setscrew for the hexagon shaft on a Happyjack bad having an issue. I checked mine the setscrew is not flat on the shaft it’s kind of on the corners was wondering I believe there was a modification for that because things could get real dicey if that were to come loose was wondering if Howard or someone knew what the modification was thanks so much
    2020 Momentum 25G
    2017 F250 gasser
    Jimmy Virginia Beach ,Va.

Good morning Jimmy.

I did some searching for your question and couldn't come up with anything. But that could be because people call it lots of different names. You might try searching on:

Happijac (This is the official name from Lippert)
    Happi-Jac
    Happi-Jack
    Happi jack
    Happy Jack
    Happy jac

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you Jim I’ll do that
      2020 Momentum 25G
      2017 F250 gasser
      Jimmy Virginia Beach ,Va.

Comment

I saw a u-tube where it was replaced by a 1/4 20 bolt with thread sealant. I am planning to do mine. He also installed a small hose clamp to keep the hex section of the shaft from slipping into the long round part of the shaft.
        2020 Momentum 25G
        2022 Silverado 3500HD Duramax
        USN Retired

Comment

Gibson I believe this video discusses what you are looking at doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLShG5xErw
          Dan M.
          2022 Momentum 23G
          2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Knowing how a set screw works, the flat face of the bolt does not so the same job. While the bolt give you a warmer feeling, however it does not have the clamping power of a set screw with a dog or cup point. If you really want to do something more permanent, get the set screw into a position where it's easily accessed, then with either the tap drill for the 1/4-20 threads or one size smaller, put a small divot in the drive bar. Then when reinstalling the set screw use blue thread locker, no need for red just in case it ever needs to be removed for repairs.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

On our 2022 GD Momentum 21G the HJ drive shaft has been redesigned. No set screw, the shaft is now machined with grooves and a c-clip fixes length. Seems to be a nice improvement.
              Frank W.

'22 GD Momentum 21G
              '05 RAM 3500 Cummins Crew Cab

Comment

Our 2021 21G has both the c clip and a set screw. There is a hexagonal inner shaft which should have one end in the motor assembly and one end in the main shaft. The c-clip positions this hexagonal inner shaft into the motor assembly correctly, the set screw sets the length of inner shaft needed to extend the main shaft into the motor assembly.

Things I learned from not-so-good experience.:

-The end of the hexagonal inner shaft that runs into the non-motorized side should be fully embedded into the that side. You shouldn't have any of the hexagonal inner shaft showing.
                -The end of the shaft that goes into the motor side will have about 3 or 4 inches of the hexagonal inner shaft showing. Make sure your c-clip is in the proper place against the motor assembly (there is a grove it sits in). Make sure the set screw is really set so the main shaft will not move along the hexagonal inner shaft. Trust me you want to make sure it is really set.
                -Make checking those connections part of a regular checklist/maintenance program. When something fails, it all comes crashing down in spectacular fashion, which may result in ripping the vertical supports out of the side wall. Trust me, It's easier making sure these are secure than re-installing everything.
                -The main shaft should have the hexagonal shape at each end that will fit that hexagonal inner shaft. Make sure it is in there properly and not pounded in there wonky.
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I wonder if adding a small counter sunk divot into the hex haft then using thread locker on the set screw would help prevent it from moving. For the countersink, just find the largest drill bit that fits down the threaded hole of the set screw.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

If you can find a "knurled cup point" set screw it will dig into the shaft when tightened.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                    X