Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting TV

Hello,
    We have a 2020 Grand Design Reflection 297rsvt.
    Looking for advice on mounting a 24 in tv on the bedroom wall. I believe there is a metal plate behind the wall. I don't know how thick or big the plate is. I think I should use toggle bolts. But not sure of size.
    Thank you for your help.
    Dave

Originally posted by Dave/Nancy View Post
    Hello,
    Looking for advice on mounting a 24 in tv on the bedroom wall. I believe there is a metal plate behind the wall. I don't know how thick or big the plate is. I think I should use toggle bolts. But not sure of size.
    Thank you for your help.
    Dave
    Welcome to the forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members when you get a chance: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

According to a drawing I have access to view, the TV goes above the street-side window in the bedroom. Since it's an outside wall, there's EGS ("electro-galvinized steel") embedded to support the appliance, though you must stay within the weight prescribed by Grand Design. The EGS will be centered above the window, starting almost at the ceiling and extending about 2/3 of the way down to the window. Finding exactly where the EGS is best done using a rare-earth magnet (or perhaps a stud-finder).

There a thread in the Reference Material section of the Appliance channel (you can learn more about "Reference Material" in the Welcome Letter): https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tv-backer-info

I'm not 100% sure a toggle bolt is right (or wrong). TucsonJim also has a 297RSTS and there are plenty of other owners with similar bedroom configurations that I'm sure will chime in with how they installed the mount.

Again--welcome.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Dave/Nancy View Post
      Hello,
      Thank you for your help.
      Dave
      Check other threads elsewhere as howson suggested because I know this has been discussed. If you are mounting to an exterior wall a toggle bolt is NOT the right choice.

My recollection, from other posts is to mount the TV bracket to a board and then mount/attach the board to the backer plate that is in the wall.

I recommend a search on YouTube as I have seen a video on installing a TV in an RV.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Howard is correct. A strong magnet will tell you exactly where the sheet metal plate is located. Also, you should use sheet metal screws to properly connect to the sheet metal plate.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Dave/Nancy welcome to the family and the forum!
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have 2 more questions. What size sheet metal screw should I use? Also what size hole should be drilled?
            Thank you,
            Dave/Nancy
            New York
            297RSTS

Comment

Thanks for the help. With your help it took about 10-15 minutes. Drilled the hole and screwed the mount right in.
              Dave and Nancy
              2020 Grand Design 297 RSTS

Comment

What size screws did you use, how long? What mount did you use for the TV? Thanks.

Dave
                2022 315RLTS Reflection

Comment

Hello,
                  How are you? I bought 2 sizes. #8's and #10's. Both 3/4" and 1" long.There were 6 to a pack. I ended up using the #10's 3/4 long. Make sure you use a drill just a little bigger than the screw and mark the drill bit so you don't drill to for. I put a socket head on the drill stop from going in too far. Also use a magnet to find exactly where the metal plate is. I got the mounting bracket from Amazon. It is called Mounting Dream Full Motion for up to 26 in. tv. There are no sheet metal screws with it. It works great. Hope this helps you out. I actually got all this information from the people on here. Everyone is extremely helpful.
                  Dave/Nancy
                  2020 Reflection 297rsts

Comment

Thank you.

Dave
                    2022 315RLTS Reflection

Comment

Comment

Do not allow Best Buy to mount your TV. I researched the allowed weight of the tv (19 lbs), and the 42" tv met the parameters. I wanted the sound bar mounted on the cabinet below, but the installer insisted that it be attached to the tv itself. We'll, thus is what I have now. I've only owned this trailer for a week, and am incensed that some frickin moron has already caused this damage...

Comment

Kevbo1214

The failure does not appear to be the TV mounting bracket . . . it looks to be the thin wall panel stapled across the bottom. I doubt that would have held the weight of just the TV. This goes back to what Grand Design “thought” would hold the weight of the TV. Did the original mount extend out from the wall? If you reinforce/reconstruct the wall, everything else should be OK.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                          X