Emergency Exit multiple failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Exit multiple failures

The design of the emergency exit handle/latch on my 2021 Imagine 22MLE is a complete failure. 1) Instead of using a single piece latch handle, it uses a plastic end where it catches the lock. In the very tight space between the bed and the latch, the plastic end caught on my pants and broke off, so it could no longer be latched closed. A makeshift fix was to use zip ties to hold it closed, making the emergency exit unusable. This being a life safety feature, it could lead to fatality in the event exiting the window was necessary. 2) The zip ties held fine, but on route 90 in NY at 70mph, the tiny screws (1/4" sheet metal) holding the latch mechanism to the window pulled out, allowing the window to flap loose 180 degrees. As a second makeshift, I duck taped the window closed. In addition to still not having and working emergency exit, I expect, had I not seen the window flapping in my mirror, it would have come off, potentially hitting another vehicle, the likely result being an accident.

This is the second time absurdly inadequate fasteners from the factory have led to component failure. When the 1/4" flat head screw (wrong type in addition to wholly inadequate thread engagement) caused my window shade over the dinette to fall off, it was an inconvenience. When the shoddy design of the emergency exit failed it was a potential fatality. Grand Design should be ashamed.

See Photos.

akvusneh I can agree with the the point of being bad placement of the widow by GD. I also agree that the plastic handle was not the best material for the job (this is a MFG flaw not GD). I will dis agree that the screws holding the latch to the window are a GD design flaw, but a MFG design issue. The short screws are most likely fully engaging the window frame, but at the same time not so long they penetrate the other side, or worse cause the window to not open because they end up in the other portion of the frame.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

In the larger view Lippert, the window manufacture , has a monopoly on the items used in the RV manufacture system. They provide items to all of the manufactures that they have tested and have passed the RVIA inspection to be used in RV's. This type of emergency exit window has been used for years by all manufactures. I do not think that this is a Grand Design issue they are using what is provided and accepted by RVIA. We have been RV owners for years and I have tested these windows to make sure they work and have taught our children how to use them as well with no issues.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers and I were discussing this at the rally. If I ever had to go out my bedroom window it would be serious injury at best if I even fit out it. I realize that's better than being stuck in a fire, but my point is I'd have a plan for using the window of you need to. My bunk room window is even higher off the ground, my son isn't old enough to be able to use it anyway, but it's something we'll need to figure out at some point. Probably some kind of roll up ladder or something.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

@Jlawles2 I guess I don't understand the difference between a GD Design flaw and a mfg design flaw. Who specs the window?
          @Country Campers I will send my complaint to Lippert. Thx
          Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-13-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

The RV Industry (and RVIA) may call these windows “Emergency Exits” but it would be nearly impossible for anyone to actually get out through one. A couple of years ago, Jim TucsonJim did a presentation on Emergency Preparedness, in which he tried to get out the window. I cannot find this presentation, but when Jim catches up to this tag, he will likely post his presentation. For anyone thinking that getting out that window is their emergency plan . . . give it a try (and post pictures )

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

All,
              The inadequacy of these Emergency Exits aside, when the little 1/4" sheet metal screws let go from the stress of the window flopping around, when it hit another driver's window, that's a probably fatality.

Comment

I guess I'm going look at it another way, while agreeing with some of the arguments above. This type of exit latch has been used on RV's for years. If you had not caught your pants on it, the mechanisim probably would have lasted for many years.
                2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
                2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

@BC315RLTS It's two defects. Breaking the tip off the handle should have had no effect on the attachment to the window itself.

Comment

akvusneh Think of it more along the lines of building a house, do you go to Andersen or JedWen with a design and they build it for you, or do you pick it out of a catalogue? The RV industry is a "pick what's out there industry" vs everything is custom. Now what they choose is more of a design implementation flaw vs design flaw with it being the location of where GD put the window.

Now the short screws and them coming loose after the window latch was broken again goes back to design and the window not being designed for the harsh beating it took when the window most likely came loose from the wire tie holding it closed. I had several windows in my first TT with that same design window. Making a simple effective way to make an emergency window is not extremely easy. The window either needs to pop open by releasing a latch, or be large enough to allow for sliding a portion open large enough to be considered an emergency exit. I think in one camper that we were looking at, they provided a window breaker as an option to create the necessary opening by literally shattering the window.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

@Jlawles2 The wire tie did not come loose. This has turned into a waste of time.
                      Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-13-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

akvusneh

I would remind you that this is a forum of owners of Grand Design products, just like yourself. We encourage members to offer different suggestions and perspectives. From your comments, I would suggest that you take your concerns directly to your dealer, or Grand Design, or LCI.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I just recently had a similar experience with my 2021 Imagine 2970RL- latch came loose while driving and the bedroom escape window flopped loose and came off while driving. Virtually anytime I went anywhere with the rv, I would find the latch loose on arrival. When the window came off, I had about a week left on the 12 month GD warranty and contacted GD customer service and was told that the warranty approval would be through Lippert. I explained the situation and provided pictures of the covered window opening (minus the window) to GD customer service. Contacted GD customer service a week later to check on the warranty claim status was told that a certified rv tech would have to examine the entire window assembly to determine if it was product failure or not before Lippert would warranty it. So basically screwed by the poor design since only God knows where the hinged window glass assembly actually popped off. Decided to just order the window myself and got the Lippert and Grand Design part numbers and attempted to order it from a local Lazy Days Svc Center in Houston. According to the parts man at Lazy Days - neither the Lippert part number or Grand Design part number bring back anything on the Lippert website. Was told he’d call me back ( never did) and after 10 days and numerous follow up calls (all going to voicemail now that he recognizes my number), I have been unable to get the window ordered (Lippert part# F200-21074/V000449925 Grand Design Part# 580143), Anyone have a great dealer to suggest to possibly order it through who is responsive since Lazy Days doesn’t seem to want my business in spite of buying the rv from them? Attached is a picture of my temporary non-escapable window patch. Really feeling safe in my rv with a propane regulator that’s recalled (can’t get an appt to get it replaced until February 2022) and unable to track down someone who will order a window for me. Any advice appreciated….

Eddie & Kathy
                          2021 Imagine 2970RL
                          2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 with Cummins Diesel
                          Houston,TX
                          Last edited by Ebkent62; 11-03-2021, 09:35 PM.
                          Eddie & Kathy
                          2021 Imagine 2970RL
                          2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                          Houston, TX

Comment

Ebkent62 Have you tried PPLMotorhomes in Houston? They are an extremely large parts dealer. You will probably have to call them to get an answer on availability. You may need to have dimensions and pane layout also.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com

Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Ebkent62 - just putting it out there, but you can order parts directly from Grand Design, have you inquired with them to see if you can order the window through them? When I ordered some parts from them, all they needed was my Vin and the part number from their lookup page, which it looks like you already have. Hope that helps some.
                              2019 Imagine 2400BH
                              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Working...
                              X