Mouse traps while in winter storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse traps while in winter storage?

I have a 2021 303rls and wondering if anyone uses mouse traps during long storage. Looking at every nook and cranny looks pretty tight but mice seem to find there way into the smallest openings. I did put stainless screen at the cold air returns in bath and kitchen that were open to the basement.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Dennis66 Winter storage is always fun trying to figure out how to keep critters out. I start with crawling around under the unit with a can of foam, hardware cloth and silicone. Those little fur balls can get through holes down to about 1/4 inch if here is any flex and can jump 3 feet (I have seen them do this) to get at things. They also use power cords and water hoses to gain access at times. I believe that sealing everything around the coroplast, utilities, spare tires at times etc. is the best defense. The slides also provide access at the bottom corners though do not seem to be too bad when in use. I have placed small pieces of flashing at the bottom corners of the slides from the inside and glued them in with silicone, that really helps with fur and crawling invaders. I have also sealed around my through frame areas of our slide with silicone to the best of my abilities where the geared rails travel. I also put poison box's around outside for them to enjoy as well as traps near the tires. I tried traps in the unit and decided that was not a good idea after I "lost" a trap and found it later by the dogs nose under the recliner, also putting good smelling treats on a trap inside encourages the mice to work their way in. I have found that a good cat or one from the neighbors is perhaps the best deterrent if you store at home. Good Luck!

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

I HAVE NOT used this stuff, by my wife's cousin has and he swears by it.

https://mouse-free.com/collections/all

I am thinking of ordering some and trying it. If anybody has used it, I would be glad to hear your thoughts, good or bad.

Bob
      Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
      2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

how do you apply it?
        2021 Reflection 303RLS
        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
          how do you apply it?
          Dennis66 According to the web site, you apply it with a spray gun. They also claim that you do not have to clean the spray gun when you're done and can leave unused product in the spray gun with no problems. That's about all I know so far.

Bob
          Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
          2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Another point of entry is the spare tire. I dropped ours for another project a few years ago and found the hole for the small cable used to raise and lower the tire was about as big as a football. I taped that hole shut with gorilla tape. I agree to seal all holes that one can find and also agree with not putting baited mouse traps inside, that is just an invitation to come in and eat. I would try to fend them off outside and clean the inside very well and remove all food items.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

my show cars I used dryer bounce sheets and placed them all around
              2021 Reflection 303RLS
              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I used copper scrubbing pads and stuffed them in all the piping holes leading into the underbelly and in the small holes in the corner of the slideouts. I also put Fresh Cab inside the unit and supplemented with dryer sheets had no problems last winter (our first winter). I also did a complete underbelly inspection and sealed any openings. I did put 2 traps inside with a dab of peanut butter just in case one made it in.

Comment

As we store ours at home we have 2 barn cats that keep things in check. Right now with fall and the mice looking for a winter hold up place they are getting fat. I was always told to be sure any food product is removed from the trailer, including staples - spices, paper goods, everything. Mice seem to gravitate towards that stuff looking for food. Dryer sheet also work. If you set a trap, be sure to check weekly, otherwise the place gets stunk up.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We haven't had any mice in the trailer so far.

I have had them and still do on occasion in my shop. I've used D-con ( mice stored it in the front part of the tractor ) which didn't work. Traps work with a bit of peanut butter but, you have to check them periodically.

I've used this Omega bait inside the shop and it works great. However, you'll find dead mice in the strangest places.

https://www.farmstore.com/product/om...in-bait-16-oz/
                    John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                    2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                    ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                    2017 Jayco 26BH
                    2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

[QUOTE=Country Campers;n66679] and also agree with not putting baited mouse traps inside, that is just an invitation to come in and eat. /QUOTE]

just a real quick input.. 'no baited mouse traps' is sound advice for storage, but if you're using it (camping, summer time..) then baited traps are fine.
                      Your trailer is already filled with food smells, a mouse trap in this instance will not attract mice any more than the pork chops you had for supper last night.
                      :-)
                      Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
                      2021 GD 2670MK
                      2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Maybe just some sticky pads this way they dont go off and hide to die
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I've read that along with ensuring points of entry are closed, that peppermint oil is a good way of deterring mice. We place cotton face pads in plastic cups throughout the trailer, and then put LOTS of oil on the cotton; cotton balls would work too. Then periodically during the winter storage, we go out and top them up. Keeps the trailer smelling like gum too!
                          2019 Imagine 2400BH
                          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

My goto product, and never have had a mouse inside, nor evidence of one. https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us Available at all local stores or on Amazon.

Comment

I have been following TNFSolitude Tom's advice and have had the same good results on the RV . . . even though regular spring traps catch mice in nearby buildings.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X