Vinyl Flooring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Flooring Question

In my 2018 337, I'm having an issue with the vinyl flooring bubbling in front of the refrigerator - I know, nothing others haven't experienced . I was going to repair by injecting adhesive, but as I poked a needle around to see how large the 'bubble' is, it made me wonder whether our flooring is actually glued down or not? I'm now thinking it isn't, so is glue the correct way to repair?

I did just receive a set of Slide Slickers, and Rudy modified them for vinyl as posted elsewhere on the forum. We have not tried them yet to see if they eliminate the problem, but just thought I'd check to see if anyone had any other suggestions for us.

Video below shows what's happening, at least it hasn't torn yet! Watch the area in front of the first piece of masking tape that's visible.

Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Andi

I believe that the floor is not glued entirely down , only at edges I think. You could slice the bubble and put down glue to hold it in place. I have not down this in an RV before but have fixed some in our house long ago.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Andi
      Hi Andi,

Is there a “travelling roller” (attached to the bottom of the slide) aligned with the bulge in the vinyl? If so, I think that pressure from this roller may be stretching the vinyl. The slide slickers will help with this. Position them under the travelling rollers with the heaviest pressure at mid travel of the slide. Also make sure that these rollers are rolling freely and not dragging on the vinyl flooring.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Before you do anything, send that video to customer service see what they recommend. One solution is to have GD or dealer pull slide out enough to reattach floor to the edge. Looks like it was worked loose by continuous use of slide.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Andi

I believe that the floor is not glued entirely down , only at edges I think. You could slice the bubble and put down glue to hold it in place. I have not down this in an RV before but have fixed some in our house long ago.

Brian
          Thanks, Brian, that's what I was planning to do, but didn't know if it would cause additional problems since the rest of the floor wasn't glued.
          Andi
          Brookings SD
          2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Andi
            Hi Andi,

Is there a “travelling roller” (attached to the bottom of the slide) aligned with the bulge in the vinyl? If so, I think that pressure from this roller may be stretching the vinyl. The slide slickers will help with this. Position them under the travelling rollers with the heaviest pressure at mid travel of the slide. Also make sure that these rollers are rolling freely and not dragging on the vinyl flooring.

Rob
            Hi Rob,

I don't believe there is a roller there. Where the other piece of tape is I can see a metal bracket on the floor. There's another one of those brackets approx. 33" to the right (roughly one on each side of fridge, but it's not really centered).

If I run my finger along the underside of the slide, I can feel an additional piece of wood (hard plastic?) that starts where the bulge is and runs for about 18" to the right. This hangs down just a little lower (maybe 1/8") than the trim piece on the slide. Is this the traveling roller you're referring to?

We had planned on putting the slickers where the metal brackets are on the floor. Maybe that's not the right place to position them?

Do you know of photos or diagrams of what these slides look like? I tried looking on Lippert's site but didn't find something to help me understand how they work.
            Andi
            Brookings SD
            2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
              Before you do anything, send that video to customer service see what they recommend. One solution is to have GD or dealer pull slide out enough to reattach floor to the edge. Looks like it was worked loose by continuous use of slide.
              Thanks, Vivian, good idea to check with CS. I sure hope it doesn't come down to needing to have the slide pulled!
              Andi
              Brookings SD
              2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post

Thanks, Vivian, good idea to check with CS. I sure hope it doesn't come down to needing to have the slide pulled!
                Andi, I just had the kitchen slide pulled out enough to move the end rollers last week. It’s really not a big deal to do for them, worst part is removing the horseshoe trim along the top and sides. Then they disconnect the gas lines and pull out the slide. I had it done at the factory but a knowledgeable dealer could do it as well. Ask GD who to take it to in your area If going to factory is not an option for you.

Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                Demco Recon

Comment

Andi
                  Hi Andi,

The slides move on rollers fastened to the main floor. Like the black one to the right in the attached picture. Some slides have travelling rollers like the grey one to the left in the attached picture. On some builds, these travelling rollers were replaces with plastic sliders . . . which it sounds like you may have. As the slide come in, it reaches its balance point at about half travel and the part inside the main rollers becomes heavier than the part still outside and the slide box dips down towards the floor. This is when the travelling rollers/sliders can make contact with the floor and can damage it.

To determine where to put your slide slickers, bring the slide in very carefully and watch for where it dips towards the floor and find the contact points (the rollers/sliders). This is where you should position the slide slickers. I had to cut mine shorter to fit between the kitchen slide and the island. My slide slicker locations are not normally outlined in masking tape (as shown in the attached) but if I take the trailer in for service work by somebody else, I clearly mark the slide slicker locations for them.

Rob
                  Attached Files
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Rob that you probably have the plastic sliders instead of rollers. We do on our 218 303 which has a similar heavy slide. When the slide started tearing up the vinyl, a friend who also has a 303 came up with the idea of using furniture felt on the plastic sliders. We simply glued the 1/2” felt onto the sliders and have not had another problem in a couple of years of use with lots of moving around. I don’t like the idea of having to use slide slickers though I carry them just in case. The plastic sliders are 18” long and I believe there are four of them so there is a lot more surface area for contact than the rollers. I expected I might have to replace the felt every so often but so far so good. Process is described in one of the many slider threads if interested.
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
                    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                    2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Cate&Rob thanks for the photos and description. Very helpful for me. We moved yesterday and put the slickers where our rollers were. Still had the vinyl lifting up at the edge of the plastic slider when extending the slide. We're moving again today and will try the slicker under the slider. (Say that fives times fast - slicker slider, slicker slider, slicker slider, slicker sslldd, ssllllkk.... ) Will let you know how it goes.
                      Andi
                      Brookings SD
                      2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by wygieman View Post
                        I agree with Rob that you probably have the plastic sliders instead of rollers. We do on our 218 303 which has a similar heavy slide. When the slide started tearing up the vinyl, a friend who also has a 303 came up with the idea of using furniture felt on the plastic sliders. We simply glued the 1/2” felt onto the sliders and have not had another problem in a couple of years of use with lots of moving around. I don’t like the idea of having to use slide slickers though I carry them just in case. The plastic sliders are 18” long and I believe there are four of them so there is a lot more surface area for contact than the rollers. I expected I might have to replace the felt every so often but so far so good. Process is described in one of the many slider threads if interested.
                        Hi wygieman , I found the other thread where you describe the process. Two questions, how did you remove the trim without destroying it? (Not sure how it is attached.) Also, it seems like it would be hard to get access to the slider to glue the felt on. Did you just put a thin strip of felt as far back as your fingers could reach?

Thanks,
                        Andi
                        Andi
                        Brookings SD
                        2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post

Hi wygieman , I found the other thread where you describe the process. Two questions, how did you remove the trim without destroying it? (Not sure how it is attached.) Also, it seems like it would be hard to get access to the slider to glue the felt on. Did you just put a thin strip of felt as far back as your fingers could reach?

Thanks,
                          Andi
                          The trim removes easily if I remember correctly. I think it is screwed down through the top. If it is stapled, it pops off also - no glue. I am not near my rig right now to check but I did screw down the same trim piece from the top without damage. The plastic slider is accessible with the trim off when the slide is all the way in. We cut the pieces to fit and overlap the edges a bit. Doing one plastic slider at a time, we put a bunch of super glue on the felt and then extended the slide out partially until it pressed the felt to the vinyl about midway. A minute or two and it is dry and you bring in the slide to do the next one. The felt I used was 1/2” thick for heavy furniture:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cut to size and glue the pieces together before glueing to the plastic slider. Hope this helps.
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
                          Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                          2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Working...
                          X