Interior Steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Steps

2017 303RSL here with 2 very high step to get from living area to bedroom. Has anyone changed the 2 step to 3 step modification? If so how.
    Thank you!

I have the same in my 2021 310rls. The rises, yes different rise per step, are 8.5 and 9 inches. A trip and stumble hazard.
    I have not yet decided on a solution other than some kind of rebuild to three steps. I don't have quite enough run from bedroom landing to livingroom slide.

Does GD know about stairstep standards for rise and run?
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

QUOTE=Sharon98382;n68318]2017 303RSL here with 2 very high step to get from living area to bedroom. Has anyone changed the 2 step to 3 step modification? If so how.
      Thank you![/QUOTE]

Early build Reflection Fivers starting in 2014 (and Rob's Cate&Rob ) also have the two step design. Feedback from owners lead GDRV to re-design to a 3 step build. Until this happened in late 2017 as I recall, there were a number of folks who shared their design and pictures elsewhere on another forum. I don't think I can share that forum name but possibly if Rob as a Moderator chimes in he can share what may be allowed.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I am going to modify my 2016 303RLS to have three steps instead of the two I have. But I have had the new steps (got part numbers from 2018 model) on order since last March and still have not gotten them. The dealer says they ordered directly from GD.
        Tony G
        2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
        2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
        KTM 250XC

Comment

As Canyonlight Dan notes . . . this was a much discussed topic on an earlier forum. The limitation is that to get a reasonable rise and run, the steps will partially overlap the doorway. There are some successful designs that accomplished this.

Also as Dan notes, the separation from that forum (where I was a moderator) was complex and included the stipulation by the new owner of that forum that there be no cross communication or mention of one forum on the other. Although we are not bound by that requirement on this forum, we choose to abide by his wishes.

However . . . Google is your friend . . . Search on “steps Cate&Rob” and you will likely find what you are looking for .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The other option is to check with a local carpenter. Steps are not hard to build and as there is access to the back from the pass through should be fairly easy for them. However have them mock them up for you to try first. My thought is the run may be a little short for comfort unless the landing can be extended. I have built a lot of deck and other steps in my time and getting the rise run comfortable is sometimes difficult.

Hope this helps
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The ideal rise and run for stairs is 7 - 11 (7" rise with 11" run) and all should be as close to identical rise as possible. As you reduce the rise of each step (going from two steps to three) you should increase the run for comfortable walking. This is where it gets difficult in the space available between the entry door and the upper level of the RV. Grand Design builds with two steps of slightly greater than ideal rise because there is not enough space for three steps with sufficient run. It will be a compromise . . . no matter which way you go.

The attached picture is from another similar discussion. I would give appropriate credit if I could recall who's work this is. It is very well done. Note the overlap on the entry door opening to gain sufficient run for each step.

Rob
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-20-2021, 07:09 AM.
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There is a range of rise to run and can vary between OSHA, IBC, Canada and the US. Had an odd height porch on a previous home and purchased a pre-cast step with 8" risers that met code.

Jim

Comment

My steps three rises are 9", 8", 9". The first step down in the morning is almost always a surprise. I've come to appreciate the handrail.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TedS Ted,

The inconsistency is bad. Same issue I had with a sticks and bricks vacation home where it was down right dangerous. Oh and the three tier step was solid concrete. LOL Who does that?

Jim

Comment

IIRC there is a requirement in home building that steps be no more than 1" different. Any more than that and it creates a tripping hazard.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

This link notes 3/8" max variation. A person is surprisingly sensitive to step variation.

https://stairs4u.com/code/maximum_va...tair_riser.htm

Local codes may vary. Any opinion from GD?
                        Last edited by TedS; 10-24-2021, 10:47 AM.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Sharon98382 View Post
                          2017 303RSL here with 2 very high step to get from living area to bedroom. Has anyone changed the 2 step to 3 step modification? If so how.
                          Thank you!
                          Our new to us 2017 Reflection two step (sounds like a dance move 🕺🏻) has a total rise of 21-3/4". The lower step was 10.5" & the second was 11.25! Our first real trip (4 weeks traveling/camping this spring) saw my wife hanging on for dear life to the small railing. A trip to a local hardware store in Murfreesburo Ar. we picked up another railing for her. Later this summer I (finally) rebuilt them after recovering from having major open heart surgery. Made one huge mistake, that was not taking before the work pics!
                          Gary & Sheryl
                          2017 Reflection 29RS
                          2020 F250 7.3 Gaszilla

Comment

Originally posted by GeoTech View Post

Our new to us 2017 Reflection two step (sounds like a dance move 🕺🏻) has a total rise of 21-3/4". The lower step was 10.5" & the second was 11.25! Our first real trip (4 weeks traveling/camping this spring) saw my wife hanging on for dear life to the small railing. A trip to a local hardware store in Murfreesburo Ar. we picked up another railing for her. Later this summer I (finally) rebuilt them after recovering from having major open heart surgery. Made one huge mistake, that was not taking before the work pics!
                            That is a very nice looking set of steps, you may have inspired me but not sure if the wife will stand for that though. Thanks for the picture.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Changing from two steps to three means extending the lower step past the entry door opening. This step should be easily removable. If you ever need to replace things like the fridge or large furniture . . . you will need the full width of the doorway all the way to the floor. Ask me how I know this . . . .

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X