Bathroom Sliding Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Sliding Door

We just purchased a 2020Imagine 2670 and love everything about it except the bathroom sliding door which leaves a 3/4 inch separation between door and wall allowing guests to see into the bathroom. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by philwa55 View Post
    We just purchased a 2020Imagine 2670 and love everything about it except the bathroom sliding door which leaves a 3/4 inch separation between door and wall allowing guests to see into the bathroom. Any suggestions?
    Welcome--I moved your post to the Technical Forum.

Interesting that GD switched to a "barn door" in the 2670 where if you look at previous years it was a standard swinging door. What you are complaining about is the gap the arrow is pointing to, right?

GDRV-Megan -- this is not the first time I've read a complaint about the gap created by this type of door. Why not fix this during production? Any suggestions for this new owner?

Click image for larger version

Name:	barn door.JPG
Views:	1391
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	6921

(Picture clipped from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PESKtChniBk)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

First welcome to the sight
      There are lots of great folks here that can help with just about everything.

On thing that might work are door bulb seals, These are rubber seals with an adhesive back and a round bulb face. You can find them at Home Depot, Lowe's, and most any hardware stores. They come in Black and White (possibly other colors) and various sizes in width and depth.

Hope this helps
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Another idea might be a brush seal rather than a rubber bulb seal. This would allow the door to slide more easily. These are usually used on the bottom of doors and thus are too short for your application, but a longer length designed for a garage door could be cut to the right length.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I have thought about the brush seal. I was also thinking about a piece of 1/4 round on the wall that would also act as a door stop since the single screw in the upper track is not very effective. Just seems like a strange design for a bathroom door.

Comment

Just seems like a strange design for a bathroom door.
            Agreed on that ! Hopefully GDRV-Megan will chime in with a perspective from Grand Design. (remembering that they don't track this forum on the weekends)

​​​​​​​Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Do you have a picture of the gap? The picture that howson has provided is with the door opened. Do you have one with the door closed, showing the 3/4" gap? Thanks!!

Comment

Thanks for responding! I sent a couple of pictures. You can see that the separation allows sights, sounds and smells to be open to whoever is in the trailer. Quite embarrassing when we have guests. I thought about moving the upper track so that the door would be flush but realized that the constant sliding would probably damage the wall. I will probably end up having to jamb out the opening and put a real door in. Unfortunate design.

Comment

FYI, when we realized that we had a problem with the door I went down to the local dealer to see if the other trailers (same model) they had in stock had the same issue. All of them had a separation, some worse than ours.

Comment

I will probably end up having to jamb out the opening and put a real door in.
                    If by a "real door" you mean a swinging door . . . I would think carefully about this. We have a swinging bathroom door in our Reflection303 and it seems that it is often impeding the hallway to/from the bedroom. We would much rather have a pocket door or a slider as you have, but there is just not room for this in a 303.

A fixed trim piece on the wall, for the sliding door to come up against when fully closed should solve your concern.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob
                      i am considering a piece of 1/4 round on the wall as the easiest option. Also thinking of putting a 90 degree sliding door latch on. A pocket door would have been ideal.

Comment

Is your camper Level? Just like a framed door on a home, if it is not square, it will not close properly. Check you are leveled out before spending money on different ideas

Comment

Yes the trailer is level although I don’t believe that would make a difference with this type of door. I went with the simplest solution and attached a piece of 1 3/4 inch casing. The hardest part was matching the color, my wife did a great job with that. Everyone is happy now 😎

Comment

Yes the trailer is level although I don’t believe that would make a difference with this type of door. I went with the simplest solution and attached a piece of 1 3/4 inch casing. The hardest part was matching the color, my wife did a great job with that. Everyone is happy now 😎
                            Nice job
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Excellent solution. I submitted your fix to Grand Design via their GDRV4Life website.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X