Cabinet "wood" wrinkled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet "wood" wrinkled

Just found this Forum! We bought our 2021 Reflection 303RLS. Found that almost every stile and rail in our rig, plus the bathroom vanity have wrinkling on the vinyl covered "wood" pieces. GD has authorized the local dealer to make repairs. Not feeling very comfortable about their skill level to start tearing into our cabinets and causing more damage. Anyone have any experience with this? GD isn't very excited about the problem. They are just certain that the dealer can fix it. We are pretty capable of fixes, has anyone tackled something likes this themselves? Thank you for any help, contact #'s, etc.

Val, Sheri, and our Desert Treasure Cattle Dog Mix TAZ
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    https://gdrvowners.com/core/images/s...tumbleweed.gifArizona.

Originally posted by Valandsheri View Post
    Just found this Forum! We bought our 2021 Reflection 303RLS. Found that almost every stile and rail in our rig, plus the bathroom vanity have wrinkling on the vinyl covered "wood" pieces. GD has authorized the local dealer to make repairs. Not feeling very comfortable about their skill level to start tearing into our cabinets and causing more damage. Anyone have any experience with this? GD isn't very excited about the problem. They are just certain that the dealer can fix it. We are pretty capable of fixes, has anyone tackled something likes this themselves? Thank you for any help, contact #'s, etc.
    Well that's not good.

We had no such issues in ours.

By "repairing" - perhaps they are intending to just replace all the cabinet doors. Sounds like a cabinet factory defect.
    Ken & Sandra
    2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

That is an odd issue. Have not had that issue on the GD or my first TT. The previous 5er had an issue similar to that on the trim around the slide next to the refrigerator. I found a couple of sealing issues around the refrigerator vents that required attention that may have contributed to the issue.

By chance are you in an extremely humid environment? As mentioned my previous 5er has a similar issue, but I truly believe there was moisture that contributed to the problem. I think GD uses a solid wood covered with some type of veneer for the cabinet face materials.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi Val & Sheri,

Welcome to our owners technical forum.

This situation is not common . . . but, also not unheard of.

The forum moderator with first-hand knowledge on this situation is TucsonJim . . . but, Jim is currently "off grid" on a hunting trip. If he does not pick up this tag when he returns in a couple of weeks, please contact him directly. Jim experienced this same delamination on his Reflection TT.

You are wise to be cautious about allowing a dealer tear into resolving this. I would suggest that you ask to see an example of their work on a similar project before agreeing. You do not mention where you are located, but you might want to consider having this resolved at the factory service center in Goshen, Indiana.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have read the posts from Tucson Jim and would love to hear from him. I couldn't figure out how to pm him, so hopefully he will contact me.

I was in contact with Grand Design but only spoke with a customer service rep, and that conversation basically went nowhere. She just deferred to the dealership. The dealership is a three-ring circus, so I tried Grand Design again and did the "may I speak to a supervisor" request. I am now awaiting a reply from Brittney who assures me that they will come up with a solution.

We are located in Arizona. Looking forward to talking to Jim. We love our unit and definitely need it to be repaired correctly.

Again, thank you for your time and help!!

Sheri

Val, Sheri and our Desert Treasure Cattle Dog Mix TAZ
          2015 Ram 3500 Dually
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          2015 Ram 3500 Dually
          2021 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
            2021 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Hi there. I'm home now after chasing deer all over Northern Arizona.

The problem you describe is rather unique for Arizona and the surrounding states that experience high temperatures and very low humidity. The wood that the vinyl is mounted to shrinks in the high temp/low humidity environment and the overlay vinyl does not shrink which leads to the wrinkles you're seeing. It happened in my 2014 Reflection 337, and it happened again on my 2016 Reflection 297RSTS. They could solve this problem if they used wood that was kiln dried before wrapping, but I don't think this is the process. At least it was not on my rigs.

The dealership can NOT fix this to the best of my knowledge. In both my rigs, the unit had to go back to the factory for repairs. The customer service team probably doesn't understand the complexity of the issue and the steps needed to remedy it.

I'd like to work with you and Grand Design management to try and get this resolved. But before I can, I need your assistance. Please go the the "about" section of your user profile and enter your VIN. Also, please send me a PM with your phone number and if you have a case number from GDRV customer service, let me know that also.
              Let me know when you've completed this step and I'll contact GDRV on your behalf.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Just PM'd you. Hope I did it correctly - I've never sent one before.

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                Arizona.
                2015 Ram 3500 Dually
                2021 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Valandsheri View Post
                  Just PM'd you. Hope I did it correctly - I've never sent one before.

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
                  2021 Reflection 303RLS
                  Arizona.
                  You did it right! I'll contact GDRV shortly.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Thank you, Jim - we truly appreciate your time and help!!

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    Arizona
                    2015 Ram 3500 Dually
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Good morning,

To follow-up my last post that has been closed and merged over here.

I have been in contact with Grand Design, as has Tucson Jim. On December 14th, 2021 I sent them many pictures, along with specific measurements (at their request) of each damaged location. I haven't received any response back from them yet. Thought I'd wait a bit due to the holidays, etc.

We are by-passing our local dealer for these repairs for a number of reasons and hoped GD would have a recommendation for a dealer who has experience with this sort of repair.

In the meantime, we have considered doing the repairs ourselves and wondered if anyone had hands-on experience with this. It's not our preference to tackle it, but, feeling a little frustrated with lack of options right now.

Thank you.

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
                      2021 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

TucsonJim -- see post 11.

Valandsheri -- it's a good idea to "tag" the individual (or quote a post from them) so they are notified by the system that there's a question waiting for their response. I realize others may respond to your post, but Jim may want to know as he's been involved in the issue previously.

Howard (Moderator)
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

GDRV-Mariah GDRV-Emily

I put Val and Sheri in touch with GDRV customer service back in November. Is there any chance you could look into this and see what the plan is to address this issue?

Thanks,

Jim

VIN: 573FR3422M9913897
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Thank you, Howard,

I'm still learning the ins and outs of being on a Forum. All new to me.

Have a good day!
                            2015 Ram 3500 Dually
                            2021 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Hi Jim!

As always, thank you for your help!

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
                              2021 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X