Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine 2400BH Bunkroom Modification

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Mike - if you haven't already, you should post some pictures of your bunkhouse modification, I'd be curious to see it
    Moderators feel free to move...

My wife and I are caregivers for my sister who lives with us and (likewise) camps with us. We previously owned the Imagine 2150, but the mid-cabin pullout sofa bed was neither comfortable nor private for our 3rdadult. We didn’t want a trailer much larger than the 2150 given the areas we prefer to camp. So, we moved to the 2400BH with the intent of pulling out the upper bunk to make an adult-friendly sleeping area.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Before.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	83029
    Tools:
    • #2 Robertson screwdriver
    • Wire cutter, pliers (for removal of lower wall-mount bunk light fixture)
    • Brad nailer
    Materials:
    • 7ft GD part # 610609 Trim 3.6mm X 1-7/8” Essence Stone Tri-Mould (Cdn $10.88/piece+ tax)
    • 16ft GD part # 691748 Trim 3.6mm X 7/8 Essence Stone Batten 6078B (Cdn $7.88 + tax each)
    • 20ft GD part # 691464 Seam Tape 7/8" Essence Stone w/Megastar Adhesive (Cdn $1.35/ft. + tax)
    • Wire connectors (light fixture re-installation)
    • Masking tape, clear silicon
    • 1”x3” clear pine stock (iPod Shelf)
    • Curtain material
    Time:
    • 2 cold beverages
    Steps (Numbering may off from Word.doc import):
    1. Remove the lower bunk light fixture to allow angling of the upper bunk for removal. I found cutting the wires was simplest.
    Tip: Tape the wires to a hammer or something to prevent them from sliding back into the wall cavity… you’ll never see them again.

2. Remove the bunk ladder. No issues here.

3. Remove the two sets of privacy curtains. Remove retaining screw from track and slide off.

4. Remove the (Robertson) screws from the perimeter of the upper bunk wall flange starting at the back wall and moving forward toward the cabin. I left all trim materials in-place… same for window valences. I’ve seen similar mods where a support structure was constructed to hold the bunk in place while the screws were removed. I found this unnecessary when removing screws back to front. With all screws removed the bunk held its position (with no weight on it).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Bunk Removal.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	83030
    5. Remove the bunk by lowering one side and gently pulling straight out. I lowered the bathroom wall side.
    Tip: A second set of hands is required. My helper crawled to the back of the lower bunk and supported the upper bunk while I guided it out.
    Trap: When the upper bunk was factory installed the screws were driven through the aluminum wall flange (without pilots) into the wall structure causing the flange to mushroom into the wall. This caused some minor damage to the wall covering on removal. (At this point I succumbed to using my “emergency” words.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flange Screw Hole.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	83031

Two people can easily manipulate the bunk structure out the trailer without clearance issue.
    The factory-installed trim pieces were cut around the upper bunk, so when removed there were gaps in the Tri-mould at the bathroom door and the batten in the corners. I replaced these trim pieces using a brad nailer and silicon. I used seam tape to cover the screw holes and the damaged wall covering. I ordered extra batten trim to finish trimming other areas of the trailer.

6. Re-install bunk light.
    7. My wife made a curtain to fit the new double-height bunk opening. I made a small corner shelf for knick-knacks and installed using existing screw holes.

Notes:
    • I retained the bunk, ladder, 2 curtains and hardware to re-install, if needed for resale.
    • We doubled-up the 2 Teddy Bear Bunk Mattresses and added 2” memory foam, but that didn’t work well for an adult. Still looking for a better mattress solution.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	After 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	83034

Mike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 04-24-2022, 06:15 AM. Reason: Fixed quote, added tag.
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Moved to its own thread. Very nice mod, thanks for sharing.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Trick on the screws in the AL, rethread one back into the hole partially and lightly tap with a hammer. There will be a slight indention around the threads, but sometimes you can get them back close to flush.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Trick on the screws in the AL, rethread one back into the hole partially and lightly tap with a hammer. There will be a slight indention around the threads, but sometimes you can get them back close to flush.
        Nice! Thanks.
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Mike and Sonya - What a terrific mod. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

This is freaking awesome! Exactly what we are going to do for my son who outgrew the bunk beds it came with. A++ Thanks so much for documenting this. I will have to post photos when we are done with ours!

Comment

Working...
            X