Imagine 2400BH Pass Through Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine 2400BH Pass Through Modification

I found digging (folding) camp chairs out of the pass through annoying... they snag on other items and I was re-organizing the pass through every time I took them out or put them in. I built an adjustable height shelf the width of the pass through just for chair storage. I used materials I had left over from house projects, but include links to the shelving hardware for reference.

Tools:
    • Philips screw driver
    • Jig saw
    • Angle grinder (for cutting vertical twin track to length)
    • Quick grip clamps (for securing/gluing the nosing trim)
    Materials:Steps:
    • Cut the upright shelf brackets to 24" lengths and install to 2"x2" pass through framing.
    • Cut 1/2" plywood to fit. Dry fit to ensure fit through pass through door opening. I found a diagonal orientation through door opening was needed.
    • Cut notches in ply wood to fit around upright shelf brackets.
    • Glue pine strapping spine to underside centre of plywood (to prevent shelf sagging)
    • I stained/sealed the plywood with what I had.
    • Glue/clamp vinyl nosing trim to plywood ends. The trim gives a clean edge and prevents the chairs from sliding off the shelf. Also, helps contain dirt and sand.
    • Install metal shelf brackets to desired height.
    Notes/Learnings:
    • Don't install the shelf too close to the door opening or the angle will be too steep to put longer items on the shelf.
    • Position the finished shelf in the pass through first then install the horizontal shelf brackets under the shelf.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pass Through Shelf1.JPG Views:	3 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	83061 Click image for larger version  Name:	Pass Through Shelf2.JPG Views:	3 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	83062

Mike
    Last edited by howson; 04-24-2022, 09:15 AM.
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

NoPeeking -- added to the Mod list.

Just a note of caution to anyone considering doing this mod but thinking of screwing in through the sidewalls (instead of adding and glueing the vertical supports like it appears Mike did in his install): the CompassConnect board and wiring could be behind that aft wall panel. Be very careful when screwing anything through that wall (or the forward wall panel). Well worth the time to take down the panels to map what's behind it first (a little bit of time could save big $$ in repairs).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      NoPeeking -- added to the Mod list.

Just a note of caution to anyone considering doing this mod but thinking of screwing in through the sidewalls (instead of adding and glueing the vertical supports like it appears Mike did in his install): the CompassConnect board and wiring could be behind that aft wall panel. Be very careful when screwing anything through that wall (or the forward wall panel). Well worth the time to take down the panels to map what's behind it first (a little bit of time could save big $$ in repairs).
      Howard, great point! In my case, I could see the top of the framing structure behind the the fore and aft wall panels. For bottom attachments I angled the screw to catch existing floor trim.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper Aft Wall Structure.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	83069 Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower Aft Wall.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	83070
      Mike & Sonya
      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
      Blue Ox SwayPro