Screw heads popping off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw heads popping off

New RB2600 owner, having issues with screw heads popping off. Three so far at interior window frame. I have a warranty claim submitted and would like to know how best to replace/repair screws. I have concerns that service tech might make problem worse (abandoning broken screws and shooting in new screws in adjacent location), making a quick repair rather than removing broken screw and replacing with new screw. It might seem paranoid on my part but it is a new RV and if I've got three failed screws I anticipate more down the road.

Originally posted by Jon E View Post
    New RB2600 owner, having issues with screw heads popping off. Three so far at interior window frame. I have a warranty claim submitted and would like to know how best to replace/repair screws. I have concerns that service tech might make problem worse (abandoning broken screws and shooting in new screws in adjacent location), making a quick repair rather than removing broken screw and replacing with new screw. It might seem paranoid on my part but it is a new RV and if I've got three failed screws I anticipate more down the road.
    Hi Jon E -- noted that was your first post so please take a moment to read the Welcome Letter to New Members: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

What might have happened is the installer at the factory torqued those screws too much, weakening the heads. Movement due to the shaking of towing the camper and POP -- off come the weakened heads.

I agree with your paranoia -- I think what you're thinking is exactly what an RV tech (being paid by the job) will do. Unless they are willing to carefully extract and replace the existing screws don't let them touch your RV.

The screws are into aluminum that has wood embedded in the hollow core. I'm not an expert on screw extraction, but someone here will be and can give some advice. Once the broken screw is out, replace with a quality stainless screw and dab a bit of black paint on the head (if it's not black already).

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Jon E

Welcome to our forum!

Screw heads popping off is not an unusual occurrence. The factory uses power drivers and they are in a hurry. You are (unfortunately) probably right that there will be more screws driven by the same guy with the same power driver.

Getting a broken off steel screw out of an aluminum frame is a difficult thing to do. Although it doesn’t “sound right” the best repair procedure would be to drill new holes and install new screws . . . sealing the broken screw locations with silicone.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Another method that may work is to remove the frame or window with the screws that are left holding it in. Then take a thin dremel cut off wheel and cut a slot in the broken screw. Follow up with a screw driver to remove the screw. There are other tools for removal that drills out a core around the screw then a wood dowel is epoxied back in place but this may or may not be an option. You will never be able to drill out the screw itself.

Jim

Comment

I agree with Rob as this is not an unusual occurrence. In both my Imagine trailers, screw integrity was/is an issue... my dealer replaced a number of screws in mostly the slide gear rails, but also in attachments and trim. I'm inclined to think screw quality is a contributing factor.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Cheap screws arent good and good screws arent cheap. It has more to do with poor quality screws than the way they are driven. A well made screw wont have heads popping off.
            If I was going to Vegas I would bet that the tech will try to sister another screw alongside the broken one, this is from personal experience. Typically the amount of time allowed for the repair is what dictates how it is done. No tech wants to come to work and fix things for free.
            I would invest in a good screw extraction system and make the repairs myself. I cant imagine any dealer completing this repair properly.
            Last edited by familytruckster4; 04-27-2022, 07:21 AM.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Unfortunately in my experience most screws are hardened. This means they are extremely difficult to drill. If you choose to try and drill it out with out removing the frame, I suggest you invest in a set of left handed drill bits. That way should the bit grab the screw, it does not drive it out the opposing side of the window. Also if it's just the head that is missing and you can see the "shank" of the screw, you may be able to grab it with a set of locking pliers or some other tool and un screw it enough to expose it above the trim on the inside. I suggest painters tape on the inside trim areas to minimize or eliminate scratching.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Slotting the shank is a good one, vice grips on the shank is another good one. Left hand drill bits work really well but it's pretty hard to get them started if the break isn't clean even with a drill starter. I had 6 broken screws on my lower left slide gear rack. The person at the factory drove them in at an angle and over torqued them. It took two days but I got five of them out and went up a size. I couldn't get one of the broken ones out because it was actually three broken screws in one hole the stupid person just kept driving screws into the same hole til one of them stuck and it was still too tight and the head popped off.
                Last edited by pvduke; 05-13-2022, 10:41 AM.
                '20 Baby Grand 230RL
                '93 Ford F350, 4WD, Crew, long box, 7.5L, SRW
                Demco High Jacker 6076P-16k
                Demco custom rails 8552005-71

Comment

The result of "piece work" assembly. No time to fix
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                  X