Loose/wobbly kitchen Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose/wobbly kitchen Island

2016 Reflection 29RS - Just purchased this previously owned RV and love it, but there are some issues that the previous owner neglected to have repaired during the warranty period. If I can't find a remedy within this forum, I'll post the others separately as well. The loose kitchen island is one of these issues. The island is quite wobbly. I've seen "fixes" on the internet, but they are not specific enough to be confident that it is the correct fix. I know the island is screwed down, but my specific question is what is it screwing into? Is it just the engineered wood flooring (hopefully not), or is there something structural below the floor that it's fastened to? And if so, where specifically do I add additional screws without damaging something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AZBud

Originally posted by AZBud View Post
    2016 Reflection 29RS - Just purchased this previously owned RV and love it, but there are some issues that the previous owner neglected to have repaired during the warranty period. If I can't find a remedy within this forum, I'll post the others separately as well. The loose kitchen island is one of these issues. The island is quite wobbly. I've seen "fixes" on the internet, but they are not specific enough to be confident that it is the correct fix. I know the island is screwed down, but my specific question is what is it screwing into? Is it just the engineered wood flooring (hopefully not), or is there something structural below the floor that it's fastened to? And if so, where specifically do I add additional screws without damaging something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AZBud
    I can't answer specifically how the island is fastened down, but I do know there is a waste tank directly below the island. It is about from the center and extends all the way to the edge of the island (rear of the camper). There's also the fresh water tank that is near the forward edge of the island that extends forward under the hutch.

The heating ducts run under the floor of the island, too.

Bottom line--there are multiple opportunities to puncture something if the wrong fasteners are installed.

Someone with more knowledge of the exact factory installation method will be along here before too long with some advice.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I can't answer specifically how the island is fastened down, but I do know there is a waste tank directly below the island. It is about from the center and extends all the way to the edge of the island (rear of the camper). There's also the fresh water tank that is near the forward edge of the island that extends forward under the hutch.

The heating ducts run under the floor of the island, too.

Bottom line--there are multiple opportunities to puncture something if the wrong fasteners are installed.

Someone with more knowledge of the exact factory installation method will be along here before too long with some advice.
      Valuable information. Thanks!

Comment

AZBud

The floor surface is 3/4" OSB over an aluminum frame that sits on the steel trailer chassis. Typically, the tanks are below the top of the steel chassis frame and thus, are below the 3" tall aluminum floor frame. The island is most likely just screwed to the OSB flooring. It is not unusual for the island to have come loose. I would start by removing one of the existing screws to confirm that this fastener goes into the OSB flooring only. If you remove one of the heating outlets on the aft end of the island, you can reach one or more of these screws. To get to the rest of them (and to install more) you will have to lift out the floor panel inside the island. This will probably require first dismantling the box in the corner around where the plumbing comes through.

See attached picture of removed heating outlet and extracted screw that holds the island frame to the floor.

Rob
        Attached Files
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

After the wife pushed the island over with the table leaf extended when retracting the slide (Solitude 344GK)... I remove the screws and moved them over and screwed them back in and added a few (2" if I remember). Great ever since...
          point: I think the island is screwed into the plywood floor... good luck!
          Jeff & JoAnn Sibley
          Solitude 344GK (2019)
          F350 DRW (2018)

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            AZBud

The floor surface is 3/4" OSB over an aluminum frame that sits on the steel trailer chassis. Typically, the tanks are below the top of the steel chassis frame and thus, are below the 3" tall aluminum floor frame. The island is most likely just screwed to the OSB flooring. It is not unusual for the island to have come loose. I would start by removing one of the existing screws to confirm that this fastener goes into the OSB flooring only. If you remove one of the heating outlets on the aft end of the island, you can reach one or more of these screws. To get to the rest of them (and to install more) you will have to lift out the floor panel inside the island. This will probably require first dismantling the box in the corner around where the plumbing comes through.

See attached picture of removed heating outlet and extracted screw that holds the island frame to the floor.

Rob
            Thanks, Rob. I finally had an opportunity to look more deeply into the wobbly island problem. I see those same screws on mine as in your photo. However, on the other end of the island, where the wiring and faucet, and drain piping is, I can see that the island itself is not screwed into that same wood base as your photo shows on the other end, and I see no way of doing so either. On this one, that base is solidly screwed to the floor all the way around, it's the island that wobbles on the base that includes the toe kick. In other words, the toe kick base is solid, it's the rest of the island that is not. Nothing solid on the top part to screw onto the base. Yes, it's ugly. Taking it completely apart would certainly damage the "carpentry" work may mean a total replacement is in line, which is certainly possible.

Comment

Working...
            X