Adhesive for Repairing Vinyl Flooring Tear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesive for Repairing Vinyl Flooring Tear

Unfortunately, my damaged slide ski had a sharp end and cut through the vinyl flooring. I called some flooring shops in northern Virginia where I live, and they said nobody repairs vinyl flooring any more. I'd like to give it a shot myself, but I don't know what adhesive to use.

Bob Vila said to use acrylic cement. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how...inyl-flooring/
    I researched acrylic cement and tried IPS Weld-On 3 Acrylic Plastic Cement. I did this in a test area, and it did not work at all. There was no adhesion between the wood underlayment and the vinyl flooring.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There's two aspects to this repair, and I don't know how to do either: (1) getting the flooring to stick to the underlayment; and (2) getting the tear glued together.

Help, please.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor 1.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	83860Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor 2.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	83861
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Jimmer

The video below is how I'd attempt to do it (no actual experience myself).

There was another video I cannot find right now but it used colored wax pencils and a heat gun (careful on the temp!) to blend in a chipped area with the rest of the floor. (The damaged area on my floor is so small it was actually easier just to cut it out--can't even tell it's missing due to the pattern in the vinyl.)

BTW--looking forward to reading about the MORryde IS height change when/if you attempt it.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Jimmer

The video below is how I'd attempt to do it (no actual experience myself).

There was another video I cannot find right now but it used colored wax pencils and a heat gun (careful on the temp!) to blend in a chipped area with the rest of the floor. (The damaged area on my floor is so small it was actually easier just to cut it out--can't even tell it's missing due to the pattern in the vinyl.)

BTW--looking forward to reading about the MORryde IS height change when/if you attempt it.

Howard
      Thanks so much, Howard! I'll look at that video when I get a chance.

I did the MORyde height change on Saturday. Write-up will be posted after my trip this weekend. It was uneventful, but somewhat physically challenging to get the rubber springs to line back up. Excluding the time to jack up the trailer, it took 2 of us about an hour and 45 minutes. I'm waiting to post the write-up as I got an inch and half of lift (wanted 2 inches) but the bolts only provide 1" of lift. I'm thinking the height will settle down to 1 inch of lift after taking the trailer on the road. Time will tell, although it's possible that it will end up at 1 1/2" of lift due the slight twist added to the rubber spring due to the lift.

Comment

Jimmer We had a few cuts in ours we needed replaced. At the national rally we asked who was doing repairs there (did not have a chance to get it fixed there). Grand Design gave us the number of the service they used at the rally. They do nationwide repairs, I can say the guy in our area (Chicagoland) did an awesome job and was pretty reasonable.

https://wecanfixthat.com/
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          Jimmer We had a few cuts in ours we needed replaced. At the national rally we asked who was doing repairs there (did not have a chance to get it fixed there). Grand Design gave us the number of the service they used at the rally. They do nationwide repairs, I can say the guy in our area (Chicagoland) did an awesome job and was pretty reasonable.

https://wecanfixthat.com/
          Awesome! Thanks, Neil!! There are three locations within 10 miles of me. I'll call them tomorrow. I'd rather have the pros do it. This happened when I was under warranty, so we will see if Grand Design can help out once I get the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

Awesome! Thanks, Neil!! There are three locations within 10 miles of me. I'll call them tomorrow. I'd rather have the pros do it. This happened when I was under warranty, so we will see if Grand Design can help out once I get the bill.
            That's great, good luck! They did a great job for us we had a few tears and holes and you can hardly tell they're patched unless you're looking for it on your hands and knees.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Jimmer , if you haven't already contacted GD and opened a case file, you might want to do so before submitting a bill. I'm pretty sure they'll want photos of the damage before any repairs are made.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
              X