How much weight can front carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much weight can front carry?

I have a 2021 381m that is too light on the pin. I am planning on adding weights (like bags of sand) to the front compartment. On top of the generator housing would be a good/convenient place to place a few. On othe other hand I wouldn't want it bending the metal. Is there a max amount that I should put on there? I attached picture for reference.
    Attached Files
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

I think that is just a tin box cover and not meant to hold very much weight.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I think that is just a tin box cover and not meant to hold very much weight.

Brian
      Thanks. That's what I feared but wanted to check.
      2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Am I able to put 400-600lb under the bed? (The storage box that is revealed when you lift the bed)

Picture for reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bed.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	84165
        Last edited by timelinex; 05-05-2022, 10:41 PM.
        2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

timelinex ... this one may be a best to consult with GD Customer Service. The bedroom is on an upper platform of what I think is a drop frame configuration (not exactly sure of the name). The reason for my caution is I've seen (on other manufacturer's trailer's) cracks on the outside of the walls due to excessive flex between the front section and rear section of a drop-frame trailer.

The first two minutes of the video below show a typical setup.

An opinion from a random guy on the internet (me): since the under-bed storage is not in a Schwintek slide (situation in my 315RLTS) as long as total trailer's GVWR does not exceed the trailer's rating...I don't see a problem with your plan.

The other resource besides GD that you can consult is Lippert, the frame's OEM. Somewhere on your 5th wheel frame is a white sticker with an "RPO" designation. ( Country Campers or ncitro -- any idea where that sticker is on a 5vr?) You can call Lippert and ask if the concentration of that much weight in that location will have a negative affect. The pic below is my 315's RPO sticker as an example.

If an RPO is new to you--it's the system Lippert uses on all of their products to specifically identify what it is. Very important info to have when calling Lippert about any of their products (Schwintek slides, windows, doors...everything!)

Name:	RPO.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	84198

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson If I had to guess I'd say the inside of the pinbox but I'm not honestly sure. I'll take a look this afternoon when I'm at the rig.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

On my 303 it's where the pinbox bolts to the frame, on the exterior of the drivers side.
              David and Deana
              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
              2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

FWIW, we carry all our important papers (full timers and SWMBO won't transition to full digital) on the raised deck where timelinex table is stored, which I believe is directly over the pin box. Haven't actually weighed all the paper but I'm confident that all that paper is helping us keep our pin weight at 18%.
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  timelinex ... this one may be a best to consult with GD Customer Service. The bedroom is on an upper platform of what I think is a drop frame configuration (not exactly sure of the name). The reason for my caution is I've seen (on other manufacturer's trailer's) cracks on the outside of the walls due to excessive flex between the front section and rear section of a drop-frame trailer.

The first two minutes of the video below show a typical setup.

An opinion from a random guy on the internet (me): since the under-bed storage is not in a Schwintek slide (situation in my 315RLTS) as long as total trailer's GVWR does not exceed the trailer's rating...I don't see a problem with your plan.

The other resource besides GD that you can consult is Lippert, the frame's OEM. Somewhere on your 5th wheel frame is a white sticker with an "RPO" designation. ( Country Campers or ncitro -- any idea where that sticker is on a 5vr?) You can call Lippert and ask if the concentration of that much weight in that location will have a negative affect. The pic below is my 315's RPO sticker as an example.

If an RPO is new to you--it's the system Lippert uses on all of their products to specifically identify what it is. Very important info to have when calling Lippert about any of their products (Schwintek slides, windows, doors...everything!)
                  You are a wealth of knowledge as usual!

I called GD customer service TWICE today about this and a few other things and after 20 minutes on hold they disconnected the call both times saying (prerecorded) they are too busy and I can leave a message if I want but can't stay on hold. Not too happy about it, but I will call back later today again. I don't trust them to call me back same day when they can't even keep up with phone calls as is.
                  2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

As far as I know LCI puts the RPO sticker on the pin box connector plates. Not always driver side, but always on the vertical plates. On the previous 5er was on the passenger side.

Not a GD, but still shows the sticker.

Name:	Tag.png
Views:	350
Size:	889.3 KB
ID:	84329
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

OK, so talked to GD today. The guy said that while they don't have testing data so there are no guarantees, that I should have absolutely no issues putting weight in there. He said thousands of people do similar and he's never heard anyone ever have any issues with it. But as a side note, he did recommend that the best option to increase tongue weight is just to pay to move the axles a few inches back.
                      2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Originally posted by timelinex View Post
                        OK, so talked to GD today. The guy said that while they don't have testing data so there are no guarantees, that I should have absolutely no issues putting weight in there. He said thousands of people do similar and he's never heard anyone ever have any issues with it. But as a side note, he did recommend that the best option to increase tongue weight is just to pay to move the axles a few inches back.
                        Moving the axles back would be great, but I'd think you'd need to cut the sides of the trailer to make new wheel wells too right?

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Moving the axles back would be great, but I'd think you'd need to cut the sides of the trailer to make new wheel wells too right?
                          Hmmmmmm, good point. Unfortunately I didn't ask this specifically, but I did ask what would be involved and he said it is likely a $1,500 job as all they have to do is buy new hangers, grind off old ones, paint and install new ones. (Summary off top of my head). I wonder if that is why he said few inches, as there may be room in the wheel well for that.
                          2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Most expensive option and keeping the wheels in the same spot would be to see if someone makes a leading arm torsion axle. This puts the support behind the axle and essentially acts as moving the axles back due to the mounting of the axle.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Talked to SWMBO about this thread and her response was that timelinex needs to have his DW go shopping for items to stow in the nose, LOL. Seriously, I would do more measuring and weighing before moving the axels. I would want to know what the weights are, including the pin weight, without the toy in the back, I would want to know distances from pin to center axel and from Center of Mass of the toy to the center axel. Then I could do some basic load distribution and see if moving the axels back a few inches would give me the weight on the pin that I'm looking for. I also have to wonder why if moving the axels back a few inches solves the issue then why isn't GD doing this already?
                              John
                              2018 Momentum 395M
                              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                              X