This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Post Beetles

We just bought our brand new 2022 2600RB at the end of December. We have been finding “sawdust” and thought it was from settling and possibly coming through the vents or whatnot. I had noticed two very small pin sized holes in our ceiling between the AC filter vent and the recliners right after our purchase while dusting, but I just thought they were “defects” in the paneling. Now that spring is here we have more pin sized holes in the ceiling and then noticed little bugs coming out of them. Come to find out they are Powder Post Beetles. If you look them up, they take a long time to come out of the wood, meaning they were in the “untreated” wood before we bought it. They are coming through our ceiling leaving the little holes. It’s crazy! We will see what GD will do for us seeing as we haven’t had this TT even 4 full months when this started and was reported. This is our first TT purchase. I’m just heartbroken and stressed over it!!! I hope GD and/or the dealer make it right. If you google the PowderPost Beetle you will find that other TT brands have had this issue, specifically Forest River. Our TT has only been at 2 sites and has been at its current location since a week after our purchase. My husband lives in it for work during the week so he doesn’t have to travel so far to work every day. A link about the beetles is at the bottom of this post.

I know people will have doubts, but we definitely know that these are Powder Post Beetles. I wouldn’t post saying they are if they weren’t. Until GD says I can’t post about this issue, I will keep all of you informed. I don’t want anyone else to have to go through this situation.

Update #1: We went to our dealer first. We asked to speak to our salesman and went from there. He immediately went to his boss. They were taking care of us. We and them reached out to GD. Our dealer had a case of these beetles in a GD last year also. 😮 Talk was that we should get a new one. 🤞 I felt so much better at the time! I was thinking they would blame us or not believe us and neither happened.

Update #2: GD denied the first claim due to “relocation.” 😆 We made the claim again and it was going to be denied again but my husband told the GD guy “I can’t change the science of the life cycle of these beetles.” Or something along those lines. Then the GD guy said they would look into it and get back to us in a few days. The next week my husband called them again. Talked to the same GD guy, he asked my husband what location the TT is in and he would call my husband back. We see what they were doing here. Use “relocation” as denial again. BUT the TT has “relocated” more with them then with us. It has only “relocated” around 60miles with us.

The GD guy called my husband back pretty quick and said GD is going to replace all the decorative ceiling paneling. That they (GD) want the panels and also want another TT from our dealer to inspect. The GD guy also mentioned that the Powder Post Beetles seem to love the decorative paneling that’s around the fireplaces and ceilings and is not in the OSB. They (GD) have seen this issue in the ceilings and around the fireplaces. 🤢 I’m posting this so more people are aware before and if GD and/or dealer have us sign a non disclosure. They (GD & dealer) do know about this problem and you have to fight them on it. This means they have untreated wood products in their units and they know it. 😡 GD guy also said my husband would be refunded hotel expenses. My husband has emailed GD the two weeks of receipts and hasn’t heard anything back. Never heard anything back from his first email either.

Update #3: Dealer called today asking how many ceiling panels are in our TT. I said can’t you look at the same model you have there. She said no, they’re all different. 🤔

We are still going to fight for a new one or a refund!!! We are into week 3 now. Paying for TT we can’t use, a lot we keep it at and now a hotel for my hubby through the week for work. 🤬😭 I mean, are we lucky because the beetles came out so soon after purchasing so we can prove our case!?! 🤷‍♀️ I’m definitely not sure I want another one and then years later the beetles start emerging because the conditions become perfect for them and you can’t prove it was GD’s fault then! 😬 Not to mention how careful we have to be not to transport these beetles to our own home or elsewhere. They literally fall from the ceiling. What a headache!!!

Any advice, help or tips?

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef616

The tiny holes are circled in red. This is just one area of the ceiling. You’ll have to zoom in to see the holes.

Comment

That's insane! If that was me? I wouldn't settle for anything less than a buy back and a refund for all my expenses. As a consumer you have rights. Best wishes!
      '20 Baby Grand 230RL
      '93 Ford F350, 4WD, Crew, long box, 7.5L, SRW
      Demco High Jacker 6076P-16k
      Demco custom rails 8552005-71

Comment

I'm not sure what would make me feel 'whole' in that situation. I don't think I'd want to continue owning that unit.

No idea what the law is for this. Hope it get resolved to your satisfaction.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Before this thread heads off in the wrong direction we will close this.

Thank you,

Moderator Team
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
          X