Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

390 RK-R, Where the Kitchen floor and the wall don't meet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 390 RK-R, Where the Kitchen floor and the wall don't meet...

After returning home with the trailer from dealer for a recent slideout repair, I was inside the unit inspecting the dealer's work. As I approached the steps leading to the raised rear kitchen, my eye went to a piece of 3/4 round trim board installed like a baseboard, on the floor/wall gap. There was about 4 inches of linoleum with a small tear at each end, which was laying against the face of the trim board, rather than under it as intended. I tried to work this "flap" back under the trim board with a putty blade, which didn't work. I then tried to manipulate the trim board, which broke off ($%&#@, and a few other choice words) . But it is good that it broke. Turns out the lino was not quite cut straight, and that was the edge sticking up. Under the trim board was a gap between the edge of the plywood floor and the wall large enough to stick a 3/8 x 6 inch ratchet extension through. It fell into the basement compartment below it. I went outside to retrieve it, and came back in. I now had full daylight coming through that gap (see photos). Back outside I went to investigate, and found that the factory had installed only four screws on a thin piece of angle attached to the bottom of the plywood, and intended to also be attached to the wall. The four small screws had ripped out of the wall. A check of the opposite side revealed 10 screws more or less evenly spaced along the approx eight foot length. The only symptom of this, in hindsight, was an occasional "spongy" feeling to that area of the kitchen floor.

A trip to the hardware store for some suitable (larger) fasteners, and carefully working from the rear towards the front, the angle was attached to the wall structure as intended. And the gap is closed. And the trim board the broke was glued back in its place and is barely noticeable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DS as built, screws never installed.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	85565 Click image for larger version

Name:	DS before repair.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	85566 Click image for larger version

Name:	DS gap before repair.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	85567 Click image for larger version

Name:	DS repaired.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	85568 Click image for larger version

Name:	DS interior, daylight thru floor wall gap.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	85569 Click image for larger version

Name:	repair screws.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	85570
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies
Working...
X