Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 280RS interior back wall issue with all screws popped out of lower angle brace!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 280RS interior back wall issue with all screws popped out of lower angle brace!

I was reinforcing the cabinets alongside my love seat and spotted about 8 screws resting on the floor. They came from the angle brace that secures the back wall to the floor. What size screws can I put in to reattach? Is this common?

TIA
    Courtney C

Originally posted by Petepool View Post
    I was reinforcing the cabinets alongside my love seat and spotted about 8 screws resting on the floor. They came from the angle brace that secures the back wall to the floor. What size screws can I put in to reattach? Is this common?

TIA
    Courtney C
    I think those are #8 screws, 3/4 or 1" long. I have heard of a few screws but not many found in this area .

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I am worried why they all popped out for one and if I can put in larger screws without hurting something else.

Comment

Yes larger screws are ok. You could have your dealer look at it , maybe they can determine if there is an issue. I an not sure why they would fall out, could be they were stripped when installed or installed too tight and head broke off. This is not uncommon on an Rv, I just have not seen many in the area that you experiencing.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

My dealer is not the best for getting back. I did put a call to them a few days ago. I have put in a request to replace my step stabilizer too. I have never been able to use it as it was so rusted.
          Will see.. They are 4 hours away.

Comment

If you can post some pictures of the area and the screws in question it may help in determining the issue.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Here are the photos I took.

Comment

Petepool - I pulled the drawing package for your 280RS to see what kind of backing is running along the wall where the screws are attached. There is supposed to be a piece of sheet metal in the wall that runs the entire length where the bracket is. There should not be any wires or plumbing in this area, so if you go with a larger screw, you should be fine. I'd take one of the screws to a hardware store and get one that is the next thickness up, and the same length. For example, if the current screws are a #8, go with a #10. Then, when installing the new screws, be very careful not to overtighten them. That piece of sheet metal is very thin and if you overtorque the screws, they won't hold.

BTW, it's very common for RV manufacturers to overtorque screws in these applications and have them back out.

I also had one of my cabinet shelves collapse, and I had to reinforce it.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

That looks more like someone forgot to put them in during assembly or they were removed for an adjustment and just not put back. If there are holes already in the wall I would try running a few back in by hand with a #2 robertson bit. If they seem to snug up well I would just put them back and forget about it.
                  If theyre loose I would move up to the #10 diameter in the same length.
                  2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

TIA
                    Courtney C
                    Courtney, over the years a number of us have reported those screws coming loose and laying completely out on the floor from that metal angle bracket between the rear wall and floor. I reported and shared pictures years ago and even shared this with GDRV. We have had this happen a couple times in recent years as well. The group consensus seemed to be flex between the wall and floor which seemed to make sense. The rougher the roads, severe wind conditions, the heavier the RV is loaded,etc. (all situations to stress the RV structure more) seemed to contribute to the situation.

Many of used toothpicks and/or glue to the screw "holes" using the current screws or the larger screws as some have suggested. Don't be surprised that even with this "fix" that the situation will surface again but to a lesser degree as has been the case with us.

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Well I tried #10 screws and they just push in by hand. Wondering if the sheet metal backing strip was not installed....

Another question on the sofa mount. Small l-bracket is not holding the sofa and I want to put a larger bracket in for more support. What do I have to be concerned with under the existing mount? Screw length? Water tanks?

TIA
                      Courtney 2021 280rs

Comment

Regarding the back wall. Take a strong magnet and see if it sticks in the screw locaton. This will tell you whether the sheet metal backing is in place or not.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Well I tried #10 screws and they just push in by hand. Wondering if the sheet metal backing strip was not installed....

Another question on the sofa mount. Small l-bracket is not holding the sofa and I want to put a larger bracket in for more support. What do I have to be concerned with under the existing mount? Screw length? Water tanks?

TIA
                          Courtney 2021 280rs
                          Jim's suggestion using a magnet is what I was going to share as well. Magnets come in handy for many things in the RV as a number of us learned such as locating and sizing the exterior wall TV backer as well.

Regarding the sofa brackets, we left ours off from nearly day one with no issues after 8 seasons. It makes it convenient to clean behind the sofa. Ongoing sawdust sprinkling, flies/bugs, etc., most often present themselves for cleanup opportunities after some days of use. We found that when the slides are in, the sofa has no where to move either as the slides will prevent any forward movement with no wear on the sofa either. Our tolerances between slide ends and furniture made for a fit with less than an inch to move. Check your tolerances to learn more and decide best course for you all.

Dan
                          Last edited by Canyonlight; 05-24-2022, 09:35 AM.
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I have a strong magnet I will put in the camper. Great idea.

Comment

TIA
                              Courtney 2021 280rs
                              I used plus nits on my exterior wall, but there is a product called moly nuts https://www.baysupply.com/molly-jack-nut-inserts . Your finished wall thickness is about 1/4", possibly less (luaun plus plate) This is a cheap insert tool https://www.harborfreight.com/45-pie...CABEgIJwvD_BwE

The nuts come in various diameters. You can check the hole size using drill bits (push in). That should give you the max outside diameter of the nut size - not the screw diameter.

Hope this makes sense
                              Now having said that it should be still under warrentee, so give GD customer service a call.
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X