Powder post beetles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder post beetles

We just bought a new 2022 grand design imagine 2600rb in november.and this past week we discovered we have powder post beetles ....has anyone else had this problem..

You certainly aren't the first to be faced with this situation Teresa. Here is another thread on the same subject:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...cent-wall-bugs

And another with a rig that was bought a month after you:
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...r-post-beetles

I'd suggest you call GDRV customer service ASAP at 574-825-9679 and report the problem. Have your trailer's vehicle identification number handy when you call.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you for the information.i have talk to service at grand designs and they said for me to call pest control.i have a brand new travel trailer I can't use and grand design is not willing to help with the problem..it is heartbreaking to pay this much money and can't even go on vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa View Post
        Thank you for the information.i have talk to service at grand designs and they said for me to call pest control.i have a brand new travel trailer I can't use and grand design is not willing to help with the problem..it is heartbreaking to pay this much money and can't even go on vacation.
        I hear you Teresa. Unfortunately, these bugs are a real problem and all it takes are a few adults to access the wood in a rig, home or furniture and the infestation begins. They could have been firewood or trees near your rig. They are attracted to light, so if a door was opened they could have easily entered without being noticed. Unfortunately, this is not a problem most owners can deal with on their own like an ant or mouse infestation. It takes a professional exterminator in most cases.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

This is a brand new travel trailer never been slept in and all the pest control have told me these were in the wood when it was built.these beetles lay larva in the wood and eat their way out . You don't know they r there until to start see the damage like we are now.we have owned this 2600rb for 6 months.it was pulled for A&l rv sales where we purchased it straight to our yard.we were getting ready for a trip when we found all the damage to the ceiling and walls.
          Pest control told us to treat these beetles the wood has to be exposed and not 100% that would kill them all.and then the damaged wood will have to be replaced.so we are now stuck paying for something we can't use...

Comment

Teresa Wow that sounds absolutely terrible. I think your best bet is going to be Gravd Design customer support. I know you said you tried them already, now that you've spoken with an exterminator and he's told you the remediation is replacement wood, and that the incubation period does not seem to match up with your ownership (summarizing from your post) you might be able to to get more information or help from them. They're overworked (like everyone in that industry right now unfortunately) but I've found them to be responsive and reasonable people if you have a solid case and work with them.

Sorry again you're experiencing that, I can't imagine what I would do in your place. Keep in mind we're all just owners like you trying to share our experience. Another option is your dealer, I didn't see that you tried them, they might have some experience with remediation options?
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Teresa - Please see the private message I just sent you.

Thanks,

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa View Post
                We just bought a new 2022 grand design imagine 2600rb in november.and this past week we discovered we have powder post beetles ....has anyone else had this problem..
                We have the same TT, same year and the same issue. I will send you a private message. Here’s the link to our story on this site that they decided to “close” so others can’t comment anymore on after only 2 other comments and it’s obvious this is a continuous issue with GD.

Comment

Originally posted by jenlovesherpug View Post

We have the same TT, same year and the same issue. I will send you a private message. Here’s the link to our story on this site that they decided to “close” so others can’t comment anymore on after only 2 other comments and it’s obvious this is a continuous issue with GD.

Just a FYI we are not trying to hide anything, Jim actually linked your thread to them in the first response to this thread. Your thread was locked because it turned into an issue between yourself and Grand Design, and there was nothing really any of us (just other owners) could do to help. We work hard to strike a balance here between helping owners (our focus) and people explaining your situation. Grand Design does not monitor or have direct involvement in the forum here, so when issues are to the point of owners working with Grand Design, we let those issues be. I'm going to leave this thread unlocked for now, I think discussion is a good thing, but if it goes beyond recommendations for repair or an update from the owner of their resolution then it will be locked too.

Personally I understand what both of you are going through and really hope it gets resolved quickly and to satisfaction for you, there's just not much we can offer.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Unfortunately insect infestation in lumber is hard to detect and extremely difficult to get rid of. I hope GD helps both of you.

Of greater concern is how many pieces of contaminated material were used in units that may not show up for weeks or months. Insects can lay dormant for a long time before becoming active.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

We had them since new. 2021 24MPR. I just thought there was old sawdust falling out of wire holes up the side of TV location left over from construction but realized saw dust wasn't stopping. I set off two RAID pesticide smoker/foggers, and killed them. "sawdust stopped )
                      2021 24'MPR ToyHauler

Comment

Extreme hot or cold will kill them but a professional exterminator may be good to immediately stop the damage. Hopefully GD will step up when dealing with a new rig with infestation issues.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X