Water damage to fake wood cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water damage to fake wood cabinet

My 337 RLS reflection has damage near the floor on the frame of the bathroom cabinet. Water that leaked out of the shower before I caught it and sealed the bottom rail and destroyed the cabinet frame. The "wood" frame virtually exploded when the water hit it. It looks like it was pressed dust with cornstarch as glue with a vinyl cover. I thought about cutting the wood out with a oscillating cutter and replacing with OSB or real wood. The bottom 'hole' is covered and I can't get to any screws to remove the whole face. The 'wood' is so fluffy that I don't think I can press it back into shape. Any thoughts on how to repair? For Grand Design: this is extremely poor material for the location and you should go to every owner and replace whatever is necessary.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

While this is unfortunate and we have seen this situation before . . . there is nothing that this group of owners can do to assist you. If you solve this issue yourself, others would be very interested in how you accomplish that. If your intent is to get help form Grand Design, please contact their Customer Service directly. Your picture should help with that discussion! You do not mention the model year of your Reflection 337 . . . this may have some affect on Grand Design's response.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'd be inclined to replace the full length of the vertical frame piece rather than try to patch the bottom end. Even more drastic would replace the complete face frame.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

It's a year old. I believe it to be a 22. I have not figured out how to remove the frame. The bottom hole is covered with a panel from the back side and I can't get at those screws.

Comment

The face frame may be glued and pin-nailed in place. It will be destroyed when removed, it's pressed wood. Some nice 1x2 poplar will make a good face frame replacement.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I had same thing happen on a similar cabinet. I just cut out the damaged pressed wood and replaced with a piece of pine. It's probably not going to look perfect but I agree you will probably tear up more of the cabinet if you try to replace the entire piece of pressed wood. It would be nice if GD used a small piece of real wood, plastic, or anything that would not absorb water in the bathroom, but it ain't gonna happen.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Here is my repair of the water damage. I started by placing a piece of aluminum foil under the wood and then drowning it with wood hardener to seal it. After I added the wood putty I did it again. When all was do I sealed the part line with silicon chalk. It doesn't look too bad,,,,,,,, at 60 mph. My advise is to not let it happen. Seal around the wood at the floor and tub. Check your faucet for any water paths. Prevention is way better than the cure.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Usnthedog View Post
                My 337 RLS reflection has damage near the floor on the frame of the bathroom cabinet. Water that leaked out of the shower before I caught it and sealed the bottom rail and destroyed the cabinet frame. The "wood" frame virtually exploded when the water hit it. It looks like it was pressed dust with cornstarch as glue with a vinyl cover. I thought about cutting the wood out with a oscillating cutter and replacing with OSB or real wood. The bottom 'hole' is covered and I can't get to any screws to remove the whole face. The 'wood' is so fluffy that I don't think I can press it back into shape. Any thoughts on how to repair? For Grand Design: this is extremely poor material for the location and you should go to every owner and replace whatever is necessary.
                Thanks,
                Jeff
                I see you got it repaired. Nice job.

In my unit the face frame on all the cabinets is pocket screwed on the inside and is backed by a 1/2 by 1/2 base board that is screwed to the floor and stapled to the face frame back. A good custom cabinet shop should have no problem replacing it with solid wood if your repair does not hold.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Very nice job on the repair.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Nice job on the repair. It's not easy to make repairs in locations like that.

Unfortunately the use of real wood is diminishing in the world and compressed wood fiber with wood grain veneer is taking over.

Without seeing how the area is constructed, it's hard to suggest a method for removal of the face frame. As suggested it could be pin nailed, or pocket screwed from the rear. The construction method could even be cleats nailed to the back of the face frame, then paneling nailed to each side of the cleat on the back of the face frame and one on the wall. (yes i have seen this in our camper). Any shelves are then attached to the inside panel by a cleat that is screwed to the wall and face frame cleat, or nailed in from the back side of the panel before it's nailed to the wall and face frame cleats.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X