Gnats in trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnats in trailer

I wanted to reach out to more experienced RVers for guidance on a problem I have with gnats/no-seeums in my 2022 GD 315RLTS.

Recently within the last 2 weeks, I have gnats in my trailer, never had them before. I’m able to keep them somewhat under control with vinegar/sugar/Dawn dish soap mixture. Usually in the past in my old house, they would go away after a few weeks with the same treatment. I am trying to rule out any leaks (because they are attracted to wet areas). I’ve inspected all the seals outside, roof, walls, windows. Inspected inside – found nothing. I don’t have any plumbing or drain leaks that I can find. Other things I have done:

Checked for food spills in pantry, leaky stuff, etc.
    Cleaned my drains and tanks. I keep my tank valves closed (on a full hookup). People say to pour bleach into the drains and let it sit, but I am cautious to do this in an RV.

Somehow, I can’t get rid of them – I can only control them.

The only other thing is it seemed to start when I recently moved to a new location where the weather has been hot, lots of rain, and just crushing humidity (like dewpoints of 75-80 degrees). The bugs outside are bad, so I am wondering if somehow they just keep entering the trailer from the outside and I’ll just have to battle them until it dries up. Thoughts?

I could consider a professional pest control consultation but I wanted to check first if its just part of RV life.

glowblue -- my DW and I battled this same problem recently while camped in Iowa. Our remediation efforts echoed yours with the only exception being we added an electric bug zapper and each of us were armed with an electric "paddle" bug zapper. It was constant warfare (they seemed to like the bathroom the best due to the slight bit of water left in the shower rails). The effort reduced their prevalence, but it wasn't until we left Iowa and went to a new location that we got rid of the pests.

The standalone zapper purchased was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LHHXTYQ Only downside is the glaring blue light which is quite bright at night (but sure does attract flying pests.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I went out of town for a few days and left the trailer closed up with some traps, fly tape, etc. out. I actually taped off all my drains too just to rule out anything in the tanks - they are not the source. The good news is the place was not infested while I was gone and actually didn't notice them too much. It seems that I am able to keep them at bay for now.

I am thinking its just that its so hot and humid and they infiltrate.

Comment

glowblue Its ok to pour bleach in the drains for odor control or if you feel the gnats are locating there. We have No-Seeum's where we live and they can be a challenge. A fan works fair for outside along with the vinegar solution but those darn things can still get to you. Chemicals work that contain Deet but most folks do not like to use chemicals. I fall into this camp but when I become chewed up enough I (we) will cave in and use them. Wife uses a baby solution that works well.

My wife uses Johnsons Baby Creamy Oil. She tells me it is 80% effective. I do not like to put on solutions like this as well as sun screen but its just me. I will eventually have to use it since I share your pain in being eaten alive. LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Johns.../dp/B0036B8S22

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X